Star Wars (2 Viewers)

Saw the opening session on 12/16 and simply loved it!!! It reminded me of 1977 when I saw the first film! Keeping in mind I'm obviously a fan of the franchise, I must say that ever since The return of the Jedi, this is the best movie of the series! This Saturday I'll be hitting the theaters again to watch it for the second time! Thumbs up to Disney and JJ Abrams!!

I'm passing on this one because I got worn out by the hype and marketing. It's just a movie. People in their 40s and 50s seem to have a strong desire to revisit their childhood. Things like Halloween are now more for adults than for children. That includes revisiting popular movies from the 70s and 80s like Star Wars. Can anyone who is middle age or older imagine their parents dressing in Halloween costumes or getting so overexcited by a movie? I don't know exactly when this whole phenomena got started but its very strange. Old people are supposed to yell at kids for stepping on their lawn. Not dress up like Han Solo and stand in line for hours to see a movie.

Combat, I undestand and respect your point, but I'm a 54 year old lawyer, a senior partner of a law firm, and there I was in a Darth Vader costume, with my 25 year old engeneer son wearing a Jedi costume and my 20 year old daughter dressed as the new character Rey on opening night... And I loved it!!! It's interesting how these movies brought different generations together. Maybe it's just the "new times" we live in... I don't like everything I see around me today, but IMHO this "new strange" attitude, at least in this aspect, is far better than yelling on kids stepping on your lawn (which I have done already....LOL)

One review I read charged the movie (which I haven't seen) for making Storm Troopers seem like our Spec Ops forces. It claimed the Storm Troopers move and act as our SO teams do. While dressed in Star Wars white, the ST otherwise resemble the way Navy Seal and Delta Force teams are portrayed in many films - bot of course in this setting they are the "bad guys".

Did anyone notice or think this also?

They reminded me of WW1 German "Stormtroopers" complete with flamethrowers!

Saw the opening session on 12/16 and simply loved it!!! It reminded me of 1977 when I saw the first film! Keeping in mind I'm obviously a fan of the franchise, I must say that ever since The return of the Jedi, this is the best movie of the series! This Saturday I'll be hitting the theaters again to watch it for the second time! Thumbs up to Disney and JJ Abrams!!

I agree it was a solid entry....Also nice to se the "Millenniun Falcon" again.

Transported back to 1977, lots of familiar touches. The Rey character cool. Will go back and see it in 3d. Robin.

Seems to be a lot of people seeing it more than once.

Will be watching it tomorrow. If the "spoiler" earlier in the thread turns out to be true I will be revealing what happened to Crockett, Travis and Bowie in the Alamo movies ^&grin

News says the movie has already passed the billion dollar mark in ticket sales worldwide and it hasn't even opened in China yet, which is a huge market. -- Al

News says the movie has already passed the billion dollar mark in ticket sales worldwide and it hasn't even opened in China yet, which is a huge market. -- Al

and Disney already planning to include Star Wars in Disneyland. That is sure to boost visitors.

Disney is exploiting the heck out of it. There are so many commercial tie ins as to be dizzying. There is another movie coming out next year which will have nothing to do with any of the present characters. The sequel to this year's movie will come out in 2017 but won't directed by the director who directed this one.

I can see them eventually killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Disney is exploiting the heck out of it. There are so many commercial tie ins as to be dizzying. There is another movie coming out next year which will have nothing to do with any of the present characters. The sequel to this year's movie will come out in 2017 but won't directed by the director who directed this one.

I can see them eventually killing the goose that laid the golden egg.
They are selling everything that they can by slapping a Star Wars logo on it. Saw a tv commercial yesterday for women's Star Wars facial make-up and it wasn't aimed at kids. I'm sure that's just what today's woman is looking for, to look like Princess Layme. :rolleyes2: -- Al

They are selling everything that they can by slapping a Star Wars logo on it. Saw a tv commercial yesterday for women's Star Wars facial make-up and it wasn't aimed at kids. I'm sure that's just what today's woman is looking for, to look like Princess Layme. :rolleyes2: -- Al

Star Wars Make-Up! Too Funny!!!!

John from Texas

I remember reading an article about Lucas whereby he prided himself in being "anti-studio" back in the 1980's. Now here we are some 30 years later and he sold out to Disney...probably the biggest studio in the world. I guess Lucas could not help going to the "Dark Side".

John from Texas

PS: I still loved the movie though.

Disney purchased the rights to Star Wars for $4.1 Billion, half of which was in Disney stock, so they need to recoup that investment.

At the time Disney made the purchase, Disney said they planned to "grow" the franchise. They plan to exploit SW potential on and will probably use Disney XD for that. Disney expects to aggressively expand the Star Wars film schedule. Following the release of Episode VII in 2015, their plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years.

At the time of the acquisition in 2012, observers noted that Disney was hopeful that it could quickly recoup the money by fully tapping the potential for more movies, theme park tie-ins and merchandise.

Last edited:
Saw the movie when it opened and said it was "entertaining"........saw it again with my grandson and have to say it really was disappointing. Doesn't compare to the first release or several subsequent releases. I'm amazed at the hype and reviews. Nothing that original, stretches of boredom and limited character development.

Also saw "The Big Short" this past weekend and I think every American citizen should see this film. Read the book a few years ago and walked away angry and sad. The movie is pretty true to the book and actual events of the 2007/2008 financial meltdown. You will learn things about our economy and the big banks......the system is rigged!
You may not believe in "unfettered Capitalism" anymore after this film.

I'm hoping to see The Big Short this week. The one book I love about the meltdown was The Sellout by Charles Gasparino. Highly recommended. He makes financial terms such as Collateralized Debt Obligations or CDOs understandable.

In fact, the New Yorker review said that if you understand CDOs you'll enjoy the movie but that if you don't you'll enjoy it even more.

A co-worker assured me that Han Solo will not do a Glenn Rhee. :wink2:

Enjoyed it very much.

However should come with one of those disclaimers "no trees were harmed in the making of this movie".

If George Lucas took half his payment in Disney stock he is more of a genius than I thought :salute:: Anybody watched Disney stock since they paid for the franchise ?

I saw it today, very good but I wouldn't rate it better than avatar or other block busters I have seen over the years.

Tom

George Lucas has criticized the new Star Wars movie.

This is perhaps not too surprising. When a person who creates a successful company sells it, they don't normally agree with the direction of the new owners. I have seen this occur a few times in companies purchased by the corporations I have worked for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back