STG44's collection (1 Viewer)

Here is a picture of some Britain's Herald soldiers that were bought between 1971 and 1973. This picture shows the basic poses that came in the box. Typically there about 25-28 soldiers in a box with several examples of each pose. Some poses were more common than others. Also in the box was a 105mm howitzer. In my photo I am just covering the basic poses and will have the howitzer in a different picture. These soldiers were very popular with me as I had about 4 boxes of them.

Attachments

• Britains Herald.jpg
    Britains Herald.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 248
And here is the picture of the howitzer that came with it. It had a spring in it and a rod in the back that you coild pull back and lock back or let go and fire. It was perfectly sized for firing small pieces of uncooked dried spaghetti.

Attachments

• howitzer.jpg
    howitzer.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
And of course, what would the French Foreign Legion be without Arabs to fight. I believe some of the French Foreign Legion came in a box that was half French Foreign Legion and half Arabs. Below are the pictures of the Arabs that came with them.

Very nice collection! Thank you for posting

Thank you. It was my pleasure.

It has been interesting unpacking all all of these Britain's soldiers that I have managed to save from childhood.

When I first signed onto the board it looked like an enormous chore to photograph them. I have a few more that I will post in the near future.

Here is a Britain's Centurion Tank flanked by 4 poses of British Airborne. The Airborne figures are from the 1970s and represent soldiers from the 1960s or 1970s. They were also made with tan berets and labelled SAS.

This model tank was made from the late 1950s until 1970. The model tank came in a green version and a sand colored version. he actual Centurion tank first came into service in the late 1940s in the British army, with updated versions of it serving with some countries until the present day. I believe South Africa is still using an updated version of it all new components and additional armor.

One thing to note is that the Britain's Centurion model tank is not exactly correctly proportioned to the size of the soldiers. It is supposed to be 1/32 scale and reality it should be a tad bigger in relation to the 1/32 scale soldiers. It was a challenge to get the whole thing in focus so consequently the muzzle of the cannon is a bit blurred. For whatever reason the muzzle came painted white from the factory.

Britains Centurian Tank.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a picture of a Britain's daimler scout car and a Land Rover next to some soldiers. Though labelled 1/32 scale, the vehicles seem to my eye to be a tad smaller when compared to 1/32 figures. Interestingly, the crews of these vehicles seem a bit smaller than 1/32 scale. This is especially the case with the driver of the land rover, which you really can't see from the picture.

Attachments

• britain's vehicles.jpg
    britain's vehicles.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 179
(Joining in a little late but...)

Neat collection STG44. I especially like your 70mm Vikings/Normans. I too have some of those Britains Herald figures which I consider superior to the later plastics they made. And that castle - is it a Triang product?

Asterix ,

The Castle was made by a a company called Gee Bee. I bought a book called Toy Forts and Castles by Schiffer and found it, then I managed to find one on Ebay in the UK and bought it and had it shipped to the US. I had it as a kid and was feeling nostalgic. I think it cost $16.00 on Ebay for the fort/castle and over $30.00 to have it shipped to the US.

I also had what I now know to be a Tri-Ang fort as a kid.

Asterix ,

The Castle was made by a a company called Gee Bee. I bought a book called Toy Forts and Castles by Schiffer and found it, then I managed to find one on Ebay in the UK and bought it and had it shipped to the US. I had it as a kid and was feeling nostalgic. I think it cost $16.00 on Ebay for the fort/castle and over $30.00 to have it shipped to the US.

I also had what I now know to be a Tri-Ang fort as a kid.

If you're interested in more info about toy castles from "days of yore," take a look at Allen Hickling's book. It's being sold on Ebay and Amazon. (Don't go higher than $55 though. Some on Ebay are asking twice as much.)

Oops, I do have Hickling's book. That is the book I was referring to where I found the name of the Gee Bee castle/fort . I looked in the bookcase and saw Schiffer on the binding and thought that was the author's name, although it turns out it is the publisher's name. I looked in the book and the castle/fort from that you asked about is on p. 292 of that book.

And while you're at it take a look at p 128 - the "Nuremburg" Elastolin castle. My wife gave it to me for Christmas some 25+ years ago.

Hickling's book is a great source and it makes me wonder why I didn't go into collecting toy castles when they were still available. Of course lack of $$$$ and space might be the answer.

And while you're at it take a look at p 128 - the "Nuremburg" Elastolin castle. My wife gave it to me for Christmas some 25+ years ago.

Hickling's book is a great source and it makes me wonder why I didn't go into collecting toy castles when they were still available. Of course lack of $$$$ and space might be the answer.

That is a great castle and you have a wonderful wife to have bought it for you.

I know what you mean about the money and space involved in collecting toy castles. Most of my toy soldiers are packed away due to space limitations and because I have pets. I have exactly one ledge on a bookshelf where I display some of my recent purchases. Not the best photo:

soldiers shelf.jpg

Just looked up Page 128...Very nice castle indeed, and based upon the book, appears to be of a decent size.
Great gift to receive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back