Symposium (1 Viewer)

Brad,

Thanks for posting these. Looks like everyone had a great time!

As with so many things, maybe next year! :)

Next set of photos.

Interspersed through these photos are some parts of Louis' collection.

In the third photo, you see Rich Schuster (hope I spelled that right), who I believe is Nysoldiers on here.

In the fourth photo, there is Tom, probably making a deal for some Trophy :)

In the last photo, we see Clive on the right side of the photo.

Brad,
super thanks for taking pics! Guys, I have really lost 17.5 lbs this year, but this weekend cost me about 5 I think! Anyhow, unfortunately, no deals for trophy, the phone call was informing me that my neighborhood is without water due to a main break, just got home, still without water! Oh well, they hope to have a fix in a few hours from now, we shall see.

Anyhow, great time had by all, the collections are amazing.
Tom

Brad,

Thanks very much for posting the photos of the Symposium.

I am still trying to match the all the people in the photos to the names.

Are those Boxer Rebellion figures by K&C ?

Raymond.:)

Raymond,

Those Boxers are by K & C and the photos don't even begin to do them justice.

Just saw the photo of Howard sitting back and knocking the froth off a cold one at Louis's museum. I am thinking how lucky he was to have been able to get over there for all of those shows. Lucky Lucky guy.Simmo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Brad
Thanks for taking time to post great report
Regards Scott

Just saw the photo of Howard sitting back and knocking the froth off a cold one at Louis's museum. I am thinking how lucky he was to have been able to get over there for all of those shows. Lucky Lucky guy.Simmo.

I finally got to meet him and what a wonderful chap. He was in seventh heaven the last two weeks. I asked him about all the collectors down in Australia and he gave me the inside story :)

He's probably winging his way home now.

He told me he's going to be making his first post soon.

Hello Brad
Thanks for taking time to post great report
Regards Scott

My pleasure Scott.

Last edited by a moderator:
One Word:

MAXIMILLIAN !

Attachments

• Maximilian_emperor_of_Mexico.jpg
    Maximilian_emperor_of_Mexico.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 198
One Word:

MAXIMILLIAN !

For those who were not there, there was a person who attended on Saturday who thought a range involving Maximillian and Mexico would make a good range, with which Andy did not agree as he didn't believe there would be sufficient interest. The collector was somewhat insistent and although I thought it was an interesting idea, I believe most people concurred that, economically, it probably wasn't a viable idea.

For those who were not there, there was a person who attended on Saturday who thought a range involving Maximillian and Mexico would make a good range, with which Andy did not agree as he didn't believe there would be sufficient interest. The collector was somewhat insistent and although I thought it was an interesting idea, I believe most people concurred that, economically, it probably wasn't a viable idea.

I thought the reason was Andy was too busy making Seminoles and more sets for Arnhem. Although he should be able to squeeze some in once the Naps are retired.

This is Brad's nice way of putting the person was so far out there - he made my Seminole range look reasonable. :eek: (as well as making me look sane ! ;) )

Thanks Brad and Louis for showing us pictures of that very nice weekend. I appreciated putting names to faces of Treefrog people. John

Well everyone . . . another Symposium has come and gone. Like every year it felt like the best Symposium ever, although this one was not without some sad subtractions from the usual list of attendees. Kevin (Panda1gen) was still not feeling up to attending, although he did send an e-mail Friday wishing us a great time, and, more importantly saying that he was starting to feel better and thought he could come visit soon. John Jenkins called me and told me that, sadly, he had to cancel, as he had to go to Britain to visit with his elderly father, who was feeling under the weather. Ken Osen called my Friday to tell me Erika was ill, and they, who had planned to drive to NY and arrive Friday evening, were unable to come. Finally, our good friends Chuck (Evilchuck), Morgan and Jeff (M1Slappy) could not make it, due to work.

Despite the fact that these regulars were not in attendance, Hans Hedrich, Larry Lo, Mark Hoffman and myself were thrilled to host the largest ever attendance at my club's opening dinner, 30+ visitors to the Saturday afternoon event, and 24 people at the Saturday night dinner at Larry Lo's wonderful restaurant (the highest rated in New York for Chinese Food in Zagats), and a good group on Sunday for the luncheon and tour of Mark's wonderful collection.

Among the attendees, it was my great pleasure to finally meet Howard Woods from Australia in person. What a wonderful gentleman, and, as he would put it, a "good mate". He brought along his lovely daughter.

Bruce Whitman, a B25 Mitchell Pilot and active veteran who is on the board of the World War II museum in New Orleans, the Smithsonian Museum, and the Medal of Honor Foundation, was at all events, despite the fact that the weekend before he had to fly to New Orleans to be Honored for his work with the USO (where the lucky devil got to see an advanced viewing of the first episode of the new HBO miniseries "The Pacific").

Special thanks, as always, to Andy Neilson, who gave an interesting talk Saturday night.

Clive Gande of Figarti Europe was, as always, in attendance, and presented the sponsors each with a Figarti December, 2009 London Show figure (I have asked Brad to post some photos of it on this thread).

Doug Luna (a vietnam veteran and regular symposium attendee) came with his friend Mike, a first time attendee, from San Fransisco.

Ron Phillips (Capitalron) did his best to convince Andy to make seminols.

Matt Murphy finally made it to the Symposium, attending the Saturday afternoon event.

My friend Michelle, a novelist who is writing a series of Historical Fiction/Alternative History/Fantasy novels about WWII, spent hours chatting with Andy and others on the subject.

I had the pleasure of meeting a retired 101st Airborne veteran named Chris, who really got a kick out of the Museum.

Brad Lewin kept his attendance streak alive and was present for all Friday and Saturday events, as well as the Show on Sunday, despite an e-mail and phone message indicating he might not make it.

Our good friend Tom Dubel was at all events, and presented me with the Figarti Japanese big gun for my Figarti display.

Great gentlemen and good friend Tim Tyler was present and accounted for.

Rich Schuster, Joe Roy, our friend and Canadian Mounty collector Amanda, Charlie Zucker and his lively wife, and Mark Hoffman's wife attended the Friday and/or Saturday events.

Tony Ciccerello and his lovely wife Marilyn, the proprietors of the Toy Soldier Gallery in Highland Falls, NY, the first ever K&C dealer, who had hosted a get together at his shop with Andy Neilson on Thursday afternoon, attended by Tom Dubel, Howard Woods and myself, came to the Saturday dinner with 5 collector customers of theirs.

Rick Wang of Figarti, who couldn't make it, sent a DVD with a video tour of the Figarti Factory. Hello to all of the Figarti workers who shouted "hello Louis" to me in the video.

Sadly, Al and Sandy of Alsand attempted to came, but arrived early, when I was out picking up Andy Neilson, Howard Woods and Ron Philips, and as nobody was home, they missed the event. I will arrange a private tour of the museum for them to try to make up for it.

At the Secaucus Show on Sunday, we all got to see George Guerrerro, Matt Murphy, Thor from Aeroart, and show host Ed Gries, who kindly let Andy, Howard and myself in early. As a result, we were able to get Howard some great early K&C he needed, and I got an amazing Heco Desert Armored Car (I have asked Brad to post some photos of it on the Heco Thread in the "Other Glossy Manufacturers" subforum.

I finally picked up the K&C ruined Normandy Village George Guerrerro had painted for me. I set it up this morning, and took some photographs of it with some classic K&C figures and vehicles on it, and asked Brad to post them for me.

Thanks to everyone who attended (I appologize if I didn't mention you by name), and I look forward to seeing you all in Chicago at the OTSN and again at the Symposium next year!

Here are photos of the Normandy Village and the London Figarti Show figure.

Attachments

• NV 1.jpg
    NV 1.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 218
  • NV 2.jpg
    NV 2.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 202
  • NV 3.jpg
    NV 3.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 204
  • NV 4.jpg
    NV 4.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 216
Here are the London Figure photos; very nice figure :)

Attachments

• Show 1.jpg
    Show 1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Show 2.jpg
    Show 2.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 214
Great pictures.
Looks like a great time was had by all.
Hope to make it to a symposium sometime.

I, too, as a regular attendee would like to echo Louis' thoughts and although I have thanked all of the hosts by email (except Mark because I don't have his email), I would like to thank them publicly for a very good time and their continuing hospitality. It's always great to spend a couple of days with old friends and new friends.

The unfortunate thing is that it's over and wets your whistle for Chicago, which can't come soon enough for me.

Brad,

Thanks for posting all the photos for me!

I can't tell you gentlemen how much I enjoyed the Symposium. Getting to visit with Veterans, collectors, manufacturers and dealers with great food and good fellowship makes for a really good time.

Damian, I would love for you to make it to the Symposium one year! If you ever get to New York, I don't care what time of year it is, I will organize a mini-symposium with all the local collectors in your honor.

My friend Michelle is bringing by a WWII Bomber crew Veteran one day soon. When I have an exact date and time, I will post it and invite anyone who would like to meet and join in honoring this Veteran. Maybe some of the folks who missed out, like Al and Sandy, Morgan, Chuck and Jeff can make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back