SYW023-SYW031 Prussian 3rd Cuirassiers and von Seydlitz! (2 Viewers)

Thank you, Gebhard, for getting your courage up and taking photos of your beautiful collection. :eek:

Thanks Andreas very nice of you, :salute::

Slipped on the ice a few weeks back and took a pretty bad knock which allowed me a bit of Gebs time :). best

All SYW figures are really fantastic. Cuirassiers are very impressive but also Prussian infantry with colourful flagbearers looks great. And the red Russian artillery is best artillery set I've ever seen.
Can't explain to myself why I don't have them yet... Well, I just completed fighting pretorians, built small turtle, and got more barbarians... not all at once.

Great photos!

DSCN2449_zpssxomja0n.jpg

DSCN2450_zpsytoch3bb.jpg

DSCN2452_zpsdps7pe5j.jpg

DSCN2453_zpslhpx42ir.jpg

Thank you, Gebhard, for getting your courage up and taking photos of your beautiful collection. :eek:

I'm with Andreas here.

Very nice to see you posting photos, Gebhard.
And wonderful figures they are, that's for sure.
Keep 'em coming :salute::

Cheers!

Konrad

All SYW figures are really fantastic. Cuirassiers are very impressive but also Prussian infantry with colourful flagbearers looks great. And the red Russian artillery is best artillery set I've ever seen.
Can't explain to myself why I don't have them yet... Well, I just completed fighting pretorians, built small turtle, and got more barbarians... not all at once.

Great photos!

Sounds like you've been pretty busy with the Romans, like you say not all at once. The 7YW figures are great and will be waiting for you when you get to them. Have you picked up any new additions to Jan Sobieski's Army ? best Gebhard

Sounds like you've been pretty busy with the Romans, like you say not all at once. The 7YW figures are great and will be waiting for you when you get to them. Have you picked up any new additions to Jan Sobieski's Army ? best Gebhard

Indeed, first half of 2015 was acient Roma time for me. Apart of FL, and inspired by great photos of Terp152 collection, I also got 10 Aeroart "palace" figures - pretorians, women, personalities. Finally I realised I have to slow down a bit with spending my money...
Also I painted some myself. Very time consuming trying to get similar high quality (not that I managed, but always try best I can). Now after at least 2 years break I came back to plastics painting...
For my favorite period I got second version of Winged Hussar with flag from Sineus, and 2 Turks + third one is on the way.
Cheers
Janusz

This has been one of my favorite releases so far from FL, The Cuirassiers are just wonderful.

029_zps4k1j0rdu.jpg

This has always been one of my Favorite paintings showing the Prussian charge at Zorndorf. Would have loved to see First Legion do Russians in Mitres as show here, but hoping to one day see Prussians wearing them as well always my favorite headgear :). Of interest is the Russian Cavalry (cossacks) in the painting to the right, some of units still used a bow and arrow as a weapon. Just so many units to cover and so little time. I hope this line continues as long as I'm able to enjoy the hobby, just so happy to have them in my collection.

Charge-of-Prussian-Cuirassiers-at-Zorndorf-by-Carl-Rochling-for-web1_zpswqyad71u.jpg

I'm going to be a rivet Nazi--I realized yesterday, as I looked at the ad for this line in "Toy Soldier & Model Figure", that the horse colors are wrong. They should be much darker, black, basically (as black as horses get). The officers should not be mounted on grays, either, they should be mounted on black horses. Officers on grays is an affectation of painters from the 19th century.

The Prussians drew their mounts from stud farms across northern Germany. In the thinking of the time, black horses were considered to be the strongest and to have the best endurance, and so, they were allotted to the cuirassiers. Dragoons got the next allotments, dark browns and chestnuts. The hussars were mounted on lighter-colored horses, of all varieties, and theirs were the smaller, lighter breeds found in Poland and the Ukraine, which were considered better-suited to the kind of work the hussars did.

I have to doublecheck about the trumpeters, though. I think that that is valid to have him mounted on a gray. That was done, so a commander could spot him easily on the battlefield.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,

This is very interesting and informative info. I never knew any of this!
Thank you,
Joe

Brad,

This is very interesting and informative info. I never knew any of this!
Thank you,
Joe

Hi Joe,
I certainly don't consider myself and expert on Horses, and Brad seems to be a great guy who is also a big fan and collector of the armies of FdG and I respect him as a fellow Historian who has a great deal of knowledge in the subject. I'm sure we have all the same references and I know where he got his ideas on this but I really wouldn't say the horse colors are wrong. It seems a bit harsh, to me.

There are a lot of things to consider, In peace time I would say maybe but in campaigns were thousands of horses are lost which have to replaced well things change and you must make exceptions. I will just quote the sources where he got this from and let everyone make up their own minds.

" The mount par excellence of the cuirassiers and dragons was the powerful native horse of north Germany, and in particular the long winded Holstein animal - a rather lighter creature than the breed of the same name in the nineteenth century ".

" Dark horses were believed to be the best , thus in 1751 Frederick stipulated that the very blackest horses should go to the Cuirassiers, and those of passable black or blackish-brown "

Consider this the battle First Legion are portraying is Kunersdorf which took place in 1759 eight years and many Battles after Frederick said this back in 1751.

" By a variety of expedients Frederick was able to make up for the dreadful wastage of horseflesh in the seven years war. He lost 20,000 horse in a single campaign. " Horses were gathered in Mecklenburg, large roundups in Thuringia, Saxony and a very large number of "polish" horses .

" The cuirassiers kept their German horses, though even these began to fall below the earlier standards "

Just one more thing on Horses and I'm out " Fredrick's own preference was for what he called 'the ancient race of English horses'. " The Generals of his suite rode English horses of the same kind, and the regulations pointed out to the army that this was a good way of recognizing the royal entourage"

Like I said I know nothing about Horses but every reference and painting showing these horses seem to show me they would be fine. Including illustrator Günter Dorn and the great historian Joachim Engelmann who I consider some of the foremost authorities on the subject. The color of the breed in question seem to resemble the color of the figures to me.

I certainly think Brad is entitled to his opinion and I respect it but to me they are fine based on the same research. ... And I'm certainly not gonna argue about it. Gebhard

Bill (spitfrnd) when he was a member here who is an expert on Horses had this to say about the same subject and Brads qoute someone posted on another forum back when he made it.

"Well Brad is one of the people on TF I do respect as well and I really have little knowledge of Fredrick's wars. However, I suspect I do know some things about horses and what I don't know I can now ask by walking a few yards from the house and asking one. :lol: I can imagine a preference for true black horses but in the end, it is only a "hair color" and it doesn't guarantee the best mount. The Holstein breed they reference is one of the smaller, older and most respected breeds and did have a preponderance of dark bay horses. Ironically, it is the breed of my two as well. There are certainly black Holsteiners but they are not nearly common, probably less so that greys. That said, the quality of the breed was and is very consistent and thus I suspect they could have found a sufficient number of good black horses to equip a few units of Cuirassiers but I am not so sure they could have done that for many units, especially over 8 years of warfare. Even keeping horses sound when they are not being shot out is a challenge so attrition would indeed be a real problem, especially for a relatively small breed like that and on campaign, a preference for color would be among the first things to be compromised..

Now FL's horse sculpts are not breed specific but they do look like a modern Holsteiner, which is a bit akin to the type described in the quotes. In fact, one of the British Blues is mounted on a horse that looks nearly like my younger one. These sculpts I believe are variations on those. So I think Brad's rivets are a bit out of line here since for the battle referenced, it is more than likely some of the Cuirassiers were mounted on other colors than black, if not well before that for the reasons mentioned in the quotes. I can also say that no matter the color, then depending on the time of year, the coat could also appear lighter than it might otherwise. Typically the coats are the darkest in the winter. Of course, I wasn't there but then neither was he."

Gebs, That's a great painting you posted of the Battle of Zorndorf. Never seen it before. - Is it by a 19th Century artist, or someone painting today?

Hi Gebs,
Thank you for the super detailed and informative response! It's a fascinating area of discussion that I never new existed just a few days ago! It's interesting to consider the complex interplay of all the potential variables in play. Great stuff my friend! Thanks again for your insightful response.

Joe

Gebs, That's a great painting you posted of the Battle of Zorndorf. Never seen it before. - Is it by a 19th Century artist, or someone painting today?

Hi Ken,

The artists name is Wojciech Kossak (1856-1942) a Polish artist little know in western Europe and even less in the states. He is wonderful IMO and I'm a big fan, subjects from Teutonic Knights, Polish winged hussars and his large body of Napoleonic works are all fantastic. I even like some of his more modern subjects.

This painting was done in Berlin in 1892, Kossak went to Berlin to make his fortune in 1895. He found a patron in the German Kaiser Wilhelm II who was a big fan of his way of painting battles. He quickly became one of the most admired painters at the Prussian court.
Zorndorf201_zps9vcjhd2s.jpg
Here is a photo of the young Kaiser meeting with Kossak and great german artist Adolf Menzel (top hat)

zorndorf%20best_zpsf4iprrpp.jpg

Here is a better image of the full painting with more of the Russians shown on the right.

I know your a very good artist in your own right so I'm very happy you enjoyed me posting this painting. He is really worth taking a much closer look at, you may even know some of his better known works. regards Gebhard

Hi Ken,

The artists name is Wojciech Kossak (1856-1942) a Polish artist little know in western Europe and even less in the states. He is wonderful IMO and I'm a big fan, subjects from Teutonic Knights, Polish winged hussars and his large body of Napoleonic works are all fantastic. I even like some of his more modern subjects.

This painting was done in Berlin in 1892, Kossak went to Berlin to make his fortune in 1895. He found a patron in the German Kaiser Wilhelm II who was a big fan of his way of painting battles. He quickly became one of the most admired painters at the Prussian court.
View attachment 211160
Here is a photo of the young Kaiser meeting with Kossak and great german artist Adolf Menzel (top hat)

zorndorf%20best_zpsf4iprrpp.jpg

Here is a better image of the full painting with more of the Russians shown on the right.

I know your a very good artist in your own right so I'm very happy you enjoyed me posting this painting. He is really worth taking a much closer look at, you may even know some of his better known works. regards Gebhard

Beautiful Gebhard,
I must agree, never seen it but it is a great and dramatic painting!
Ray

Thanks Gebhard for the follow-up info on the Kossak painting. I really enjoy seeing the work of military artists from late 19th Century, and being introduced to a ''new'' one is always a pleasure. - Thanks for posting. - Ken

Thanks Gebhard for the follow-up info on the Kossak painting. I really enjoy seeing the work of military artists from late 19th Century, and being introduced to a ''new'' one is always a pleasure. - Thanks for posting. - Ken

My pleasure Ken,

I'm sure you'll agree he deserves to be remembered amongst the greats from that bygone era. regards Gebhard

Just opened the v. Seydlitz figure and had hoped for a pipe asseccory. I guess no such luck.

“Major General von Seydlitz throws his pipe in the air as he leads his Prussian cavalry to the attack at the Battle of Rossbach on 5th November 1757 in the Seven Years War: picture by Richard Knötel”

684-B71-B1-F52-D-43-D8-8-DD0-EE833-D83567-D.jpg

Does anyone know where I get a model of an authentic seven-years-war pipe? I want to dangle it from the upper shelf above the figure. ^&grin

Just opened the v. Seydlitz figure and had hoped for a pipe asseccory. I guess no such luck.

“Major General von Seydlitz throws his pipe in the air as he leads his Prussian cavalry to the attack at the Battle of Rossbach on 5th November 1757 in the Seven Years War: picture by Richard Knötel”

684-B71-B1-F52-D-43-D8-8-DD0-EE833-D83567-D.jpg

Does anyone know where I get a model of an authentic seven-years-war pipe? I want to dangle it from the upper shelf above the figure. ^&grin

Hi

You should try "RYLIT" of Germany, they did a very nice figure based on this Knoetel painting. They certainly did other figures of Prussian soldiers smoking a pipe.

If you ask nicely, they might sell you a pipe separately!

Happy Collecting!

Oberstinhaber.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back