The Army of Frederick the Great (1 Viewer)

Thanks for showing us your civilians and for the comments about eyes.

Good to hear it's similar to my technique, but I paint with enamels and use white for eyes, like these civilians I did recently for a local collector. The figures are Phoenix but sometimes he supplies with John Eden recasts.

picnic.jpg

John

Thanks for sharing your tips Brad. I tend to agree ...better not to use whote or off white on the eyes unles the eye detail on the casting is really good. A lot of painted figures (even commercial ones) display far too much white and often it is too bright. Looks bad on figures and looks really bad on horses. Old adage less is more certainly applies to the fine detail on 54mm figures.

I grew up on Monogram kits, and the diorama tips brochures that Shep Paine wrote for some of the kits. His tips stuck with me. He talked about painting figures, and he noted that people outside in daylight tend to squint, and he described steps to avoid what he called the "pop-eyed look". For scale model figures, in 1/48 scale or smaller, you can get away with paint the eyes as a line, because for the viewer, looking at your model, it's as if he's standing 40 feet away or more.

For the toy soldier style, of course, there's a lot of leeway. We have the classic toy soldiers, whose eyes were usually just a dot. Then there are the dimestores, the Barclays and Manoils, whose eyes were an arc and a dot, or sometimes a comma ;). I think I settled on my style from the King White/Reeves toy soldiers I have. They're classic examples of the "Chinese" style, with simple eyes.

Prost!
Brad

Good to hear it's similar to my technique, but I paint with enamels and use white for eyes, like these civilians I did recently for a local collector. The figures are Phoenix but sometimes he supplies with John Eden recasts.

View attachment 260618

John

That sitting figure looks great - looks a little like you previously....hahaha.

Victor

Hi Brad, John and all,

some beautiful work going on here!

Rgds Victor

I'm currently working on 2 mounted British figures from this period, a Horse grenadier and Scots Grey, both wearing mitre hats, and figures are ROSE Miniatures that I got from John Eden.

John

As promised, here they are :

2brithg.jpg
1st Troop of the Horse Grenadier Guards & 2nd (Royal North British) Regiment of Dragoons.

I have another 3 sets of castings to assemble and paint, so could be Horse Guards, Dragoon Guards or Dragoons so I'll see how I feel ....

John

Lovely work. Just missing a couple of coats of varnish ^&grin

Did the horses come attached to the flat metal bases? As when I ordered mine John sent separate bases for them.

Lovely work. Just missing a couple of coats of varnish ^&grin

Did the horses come attached to the flat metal bases? As when I ordered mine John sent separate bases for them.

Malcolm,

the horses come with separate bases but I like that just in case I want to do a diorama.

As far as varnish coats ... do you mean gloss ????
I prefer matte for these figures,

John

Do I take it from the list of manufacturers below that John Eden has the Stadden moulds and is producing them with the same (or a more "Tradition" type) base??

Do I take it from the list of manufacturers below that John Eden has the Stadden moulds and is producing them with the same (or a more "Tradition" type) base??

No, the cavalry figures are ROSE miniatures and John Eden owns the moulds of them, you can see more on his website

John

John

Very nice skin tone surely difficult to achive. Thank you for shareing
rgds
Wolfgang

Very nice skin tone surely difficult to achive. Thank you for shareing
rgds
Wolfgang

The skin tone is easy ... HUMBROL Flesh #63 straight for the can, but a bit of red added to colour the nose and cheeks, as they can get sunburnt wearing that sort of hat in summer :)

John

View attachment 260618

John

I love those civilian figures. Would really fit in well with my Trophy collection :wink2: Well done John.

I finished this one some time ago, but never got around to taking a photo. A grenadier fifer from the Fusilier-Regiment of von Bülow (IR 46). A kit casting from Rylit.

The hands and flute are cast as a single piece, and the arms are also separate. So it was tricky to get everything to line up just right. But it's such a cool pose.

Thanks for looking!

Prost!
Brad

I finished this one some time ago, but never got around to taking a photo. A grenadier fifer from the Fusilier-Regiment of von Bülow (IR 46). A kit casting from Rylit.

The hands and flute are cast as a single piece, and the arms are also separate. So it was tricky to get everything to line up just right. But it's such a cool pose.

Thanks for looking!

Prost!
Brad

This is an excellent figure! It's probably one of the more unique poses that I've seen, especially in 1/32 scale.

Brendan

Thats a nice figures you have and it's a very similar pose of the fifer in a Ulrich Puchala set of figures (731 & 732)

p731_732.jpg

drumfife.jpg

My painting of them from the 26th Regiment.

John

I recently was the successful bidder for these 4 ROSE Miniature kits of soldiers from the army of Frederick the Great and one from his father's Army.
With the current problems with international post into Australia, it took about a month to arrive, but I am most pleased to get them.

266s.jpg267s.jpg
268s.jpg269s.jpg

They are a couple musketeers, a fusilier and Potsdam Giant Grenadier.

This the Minipack plate, but was not supplied.

mp235.jpg

I plan on assembling and painting them very soon, and will put up images when completed.

Keep watching ...

John

Here is the other Minipack card for the Potsdam Grenadier

mp234.jpg

He should be very colourful :)

JOhn

It's been a cold, but fine week here, and I have been having 'fun' painting these 4 figures:

giantrose.jpg
Potsdam 'Giant' Grenadier

3prusrose.jpg
2 x 1st Regiment Musketeers & Fusilier 48th Regiment

I had a limited choice of regiments for these figures because they have sculpted lapels, lace on the lapels, cuffs and under lapels.

The 48th Fusiliers were the only Fusilier regiment to have Brandenberg cuffs, the others has Swedish, so he fits in nicely.

I have also got the ROSE Prussian Hussars in my collection and I'm on the lookout for the other figures which are a couple of Cuirassiers.

Hope you like them?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back