The Dora's of Gallands circus (1 Viewer)

Mitch

Major General
Guys..

Neil asked me to post some pictures of the FW 190 D that K&C recently released and, had asked me to repaint for him in the markings of the JV44. These aircraft were soley employed to protect the ME 262 on take off and landing as this was when the jumo engines and their limitations at that time made them vulnerable to roving allied fighters.

The problem for these defence aircraft were the twitchy flak crews on the ground shot at anything that moved friend or foe. This problem in the usual german manner was solved not by getting better trained crews but, to paint their aircraft in highly visible red and white striped undercarriages!!

The unit was also quite unique in the personal markings they had on their aircraft and, this version is Red 13 the personal mount of Oblt. Klaus Faber during may 1945 at Ainring airfield in germany. The slogan reads ''In he goes even though both of us will cry!''

Certainly the hardest paint scheme I have had to do compounded by the fact that the aircraft is already made up and very difficult to get the stripes etc the way they should be and still hold/support the aircraft. The aircraft was striped of the former paint scheme and primed grey. The underside was tackled first by spraying the whole undercarriage white and then masking off all the lines. They were randomly done as they were not uniform in width or, space on the real aircraft. The underside was then sprayed red the biggest job on this was the constant need to mask of after each paint application and, trying to mask of the wings to ensure a perfect line between red and white underside and two tone green upper wings and tail was great fun!!

Hope you find it interesting and, between us we may eventually end up with full circus soon as I am just about to start Red 4 for myself. The Dora after seeing it was another aircraft I was not initially going to buy that has suddenly become one of my collection
Mitch

Attachments

• DSCF5200 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF5200 (1024x768).jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 307
  • DSCF5209 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF5209 (1024x768).jpg
    387 KB · Views: 311
  • DSCF5208 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF5208 (1024x768).jpg
    429.4 KB · Views: 321
  • DSCF5244 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF5244 (1024x768).jpg
    437.3 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF5237 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF5237 (1024x768).jpg
    377.5 KB · Views: 315
Micth, simply outstanding!!!! That's a beautiful job, and I think it will look just perfect with the ME-262! Congratulations again on another masterpiece!!{bravo}}

Last edited:
Well done mate. Looks outstanding and I can only imagine how hard it must have been.

Thank for doing a brilliant job reprinting the Dora for me Mitch and thank for posting the photos she will look great next to my repainted Me 262 ^&cool

Thank for doing a brilliant job reprinting the Dora for me Mitch and thank for posting the photos she will look great next to my repainted Me 262 ^&cool

Wow Neil,

You must be one happy chap! That is an outstanding paint job on that kite! Mitch, why not move to the U.S. for some seasonal paint work-brilliant job.

Check Six,
Marc

Wow Neil,

You must be one happy chap! That is an outstanding paint job on that kite! Mitch, why not move to the U.S. for some seasonal paint work-brilliant job.

Check Six,
Marc

Yes I'm very happy Mac ^&grin

Adding my 'very well done' to all the other superlatives. Just amazing work. -- Al

Awesome mate looks brilliant.
Will wait 6 monthsNeil will have it on Ebay ^&grin

Mitch, you always deliver excellent work . This is one of your many fantastic realizations
guy:smile2:

smashing!!

i expect nothing less than perfection {sm4}

shame i no longer live in yorkshire....

keith should post his repainted ME262 together with this ^&grin

Great repaint Mitch. I know how hard it can be to do stripe masking on aircraft as I've done a few myself recently. Yours looks super.

Cheers for the comments. The stripes were indeed the difficult part with a whole aircraft and fixed undercarriage it was a challenge. The mask had to be in every crevice etc on the surface of the wing so the red paint would not run onto the white!!!
Mitch

Superb repaint Mitch, really good work, looks terrific.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back