The Equalizer (1 Viewer)

The Military Workshop

1st Lieutenant
Starring Denzel Washington as the loner who has a few surprises up his sleeve.

Same name as the TV series starring Edward Woodward. Washington's character has same name, McCall, but whereas Woodward was more of a thinker Washington is lets say a bit more ruthless in "equalizing". In TF terms he is quite the "moderator" with a talent for "deletions" and a "clean up on aisle three" definitely needed.

If you like the Jack Reacher type movie with the loner taking on multiple bad guys then this movie is for you. He is quite the handyman and the next time you go to a hardware store this will make you think again about "useful" items.

Some of the "deletions" are quite gruesome.

When movie was first being mentioned in 2010 Russel Crowe was looking to do it but must have fallen through.

Starring Denzel Washington as the loner who has a few surprises up his sleeve.

Same name as the TV series starring Edward Woodward. Washington's character has same name, McCall, but whereas Woodward was more of a thinker Washington is lets say a bit more ruthless in "equalizing". In TF terms he is quite the "moderator" with a talent for "deletions" and a "clean up on aisle three" definitely needed.

If you like the Jack Reacher type movie with the loner taking on multiple bad guys then this movie is for you. He is quite the handyman and the next time you go to a hardware store this will make you think again about "useful" items.

Some of the "deletions" are quite gruesome.

When movie was first being mentioned in 2010 Russel Crowe was looking to do it but must have fallen through.
Always enjoyed the Woodward McCall character and the show. -- Al

I'll pass. The only things similar between this movie and the series are the title and the name of the character. It reminds me of the "remake" of "The Day of the Jackal" and its relationship to the original novel and film.

Prost!
Brad

I'll pass. The only things similar between this movie and the series are the title and the name of the character.

Prost!
Brad

Brad,
You are correct on this point. Not sure if original author would get a big pay cheque for use of the names.

However in the totally useless trivia department one of the actresses, Melissa Leo, did appear in an episode of the Equalizer in 1985 !

I was waiting for the catchy theme tune from TV series to appear.

On another side note some may wonder, if they see it, where they have seen the main bad guy before. He was the bad Crusader in Kingdom of Heaven and to my surprise a Kiwi actor.

Brett

Brad,
You are correct on this point. Not sure if original author would get a big pay cheque for use of the names.

However in the totally useless trivia department one of the actresses, Melissa Leo, did appear in an episode of the Equalizer in 1985 !

On another side note some may wonder, if they see it, where they have seen the main bad guy before. He was the bad Crusader in Kingdom of Heaven and to my surprise a Kiwi actor.

Brett

Does he have hairy feet Brett??? Sorry, I couldn't let that one go..^&grin

I haven't seen this movie yet and until you confirmed it in this thread, I was wondering if the movie title had something to do with the original TV series which I enjoyed. It's a shame that it doesn't follow the original series other than the names and having that actress that you mentioned but I do like Denzel and the movie does sound like a goody.

Tom

Does he have hairy feet Brett??? Sorry, I couldn't let that one go..^&grin

I haven't seen this movie yet and until you confirmed it in this thread, I was wondering if the movie title had something to do with the original TV series which I enjoyed. It's a shame that it doesn't follow the original series other than the names and having that actress that you mentioned but I do like Denzel and the movie does sound like a goody.

Tom

Tom,
In this movie he does not set out to be the Equalizer but gets involved to help somebody out. He is originally trying to lead a quiet life. People not at the stage of seeking out his help unlike in the series. I think a sequel is planned and the ending leave that option open.
I think you will like it.
Brett

Brad,

Brett

Big fan of the TV series.
BTW, the theme is the product of Stewart Copeland of The Police.

I disagree with some of the comments here. If you liked the TV series, as I did, you will like this movie. Bot versions of McCall have a dignity about them in righting wrongs. Washington gives a fine performance as a man looking to change his life but realizing he can't. Well worth seeing.

Some interesting comments, particularly the one about 'hairy feet' (cheers Tom)^&grin the Kiwi actor you refer to also played a baddy in one of the Jason BOURNE movies....seriously though, movie critic's have rubbished the movie and stated it was below the talents of 'Washington'. I can't imagine him doing a bad movie, he's no fool and I doubt he'd take on a project if he thought it was bellow him.

Speaking of action flicks the new Liam Neeson movie 'Tombstone' looks good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back