The Fall of Acre Diorama . . . Update (1 Viewer)

mestell

Lieutenant Colonel
Tonight UPS delivered Department 56 #59904 "Desert Camp" :) which I will be using as part of the Crusader's encampment outside of Acre. This set comes with a nomadic tent and three nomadic non-combatants :) all of which are very very compatible with the K&C figures :D. I think this will work out very nicely with the K&C desert well, and the Dept 56 date palms I already have. One of the figures with the desert camp was of a young woman carrying water jugs - perfect for the well/oasis scenario. Pics include comparison of my favorite K&C Crusader with one of the Dept 56 figures. The white contoured "terrain" seen in the pictures were made from 3/8" foam board and 1/2" bead board, all of which were cut to size and shaped with an Xacto knife. I will cover these with either CelluClay, or FiberClay.

Mike

Attachments

• MVC-005S.JPG
    MVC-005S.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 588
  • MVC-006S.JPG
    MVC-006S.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 596
At this end of the table I have built a 4" high terrain feature out of bead board which I will cover with either CelluCLay or Fiber Clay. This will represent the area where Saladin observed and tried to break the seige of Acre. His army was too strong for the Crusaders to "push aside" but not strong enough to break the strangle hold the Crusaders had on Acre. This part of the diorama will represent a Saracen Cavalry charge attempting to dislodge the Crusaders and their seige tower while Saladin commands the attack from his vantage point.

Mike

Attachments

• MVC-008S.JPG
    MVC-008S.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 474
  • MVC-009S.JPG
    MVC-009S.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 579
I haven't forgotten the details within the city of Acre. Here is a pic of Department 56 #59807 "Caravansary Rooms at the Inn". This is another great desert building set from the Village of Bethlem range that Department 56 used to market - the entire range has been retired for several years. This set also came with 4 nomadic/arabic non-combatants which also size up nicely with the K&C figures. The second pic is an overall shot of the diorama so far.

Mike

Attachments

• MVC-010S.JPG
    MVC-010S.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 336
  • MVC-007S.JPG
    MVC-007S.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 432
Looking really good. Are you going to just paint the hills or glue sand to them.

Looking really good. Are you going to just paint the hills or glue sand to them.

After I cover the foam/bead board with CelluClay/FiberClay I will paint everything a base coat and then I plan on gluing down earth/sand/gravel for texture.

Mike

In a word..Excellent!!!!

I am enjoying watching your diorama develop, thanks for taking some pics and allowing us along for the ride :)

Thanks for all the positive comments and support. I am really enjoying this "ride".

Mike

Very sharp! The regular civilian building inside the walls really adds to the whole siege effect:cool:.

Take your time and enjoy yourself.....I have found this construction phase is

often half the fun of the entire project!:)

Take your time and enjoy yourself.....I have found this construction phase is

often half the fun of the entire project!:)

Yeah, but he has the same problem I do. Putting figures on it before he is done:):)

I think your right though, I have been sick for five days and have not been able to do anything. Reading and the last few days TV but that has been it. So I miss being able to work on anything. So enjoy your work! It is going to be great!

I have been sick for five days and have not been able to do anything. Reading and the last few days TV but that has been it. So I miss being able to work on anything. So enjoy your work! It is going to be great!

Vamp:

Take care and hope your feeling better soon! Heres something to cheer you

up!!:D

Attachments

• vampire2.jpg
    vampire2.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 108
Yeah, but he has the same problem I do. Putting figures on it before he is done:):)

The figures move out of the way easy enough :D. Besides it gives me something to play with and imagine when I don't feel like working on scenery :). I am trying to take my time, but sometimes that is hard to do. However, I must say that I didn't touch the diorama all weekend :eek: Thanks for all the nice comments.

Mike

Vamp:

Take care and hope your feeling better soon! Heres something to cheer you

up!!:D

I don't know if it cheered the Vamp up but that picture certainly perked me up ;).

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back