The German's & their Allies ! (1 Viewer)

jager7080

Sergeant First Class
This subject has been mentioned & discussed in toy soldier circles for some time...Since we are heading into a new year , i wanted to make note of the magnitude of the involvement of Germany's allied nation's in the war effort...I have started collecting Hiriart (glossy) recently & have been really amazed at the range of their release's...It has really made me think why this cannot be done in the Matte toy soldier world...
I know the argument that only what is sure to sell well is made...But how can you say if a line such as Hungarian or Slovak or Romanian unit's will sell well if nobody has ever made them before ? I believe we as collector's are intelligent & bound to history as it occurred...Where are these nation's represented in your collection or in your diorama's ??? It is like they never existed at all...just some notes i found online as follows :

In spring 1942 Germany's need for more manpower on the Eastern Front demanded a maximum effort and the Hungarians despatched to the front the 2nd Hungarian Army with 200,000 men, consisting of nine light infantry divisions (two instead of three infantry regiments each), and the pride of the Honved, the 1st Armoured Division with 83 Czech LT38 ( = PzKpfw 38(t) ) tanks, two Toldi light tanks (Swedish, but made under licence in Hungary) and 22 German Panzer Mk I tanks

For the German invasion of the Soviet Union the Slovaks placed at the disposal of the Germans a light brigade of 3,500 men which was partially motorised and included a battalion of Czech light tanks (= PzKpfw 38(t) ), and an army corps of two infantry divisions and divisional troops. The total strength of the Slovak commitment in July 1941 was 40,393 men and 1,346 officers.

In return for German help in the Spanish Civil War, Franco agreed to the formation of a Spanish Volunteer Division of 18,000 men, most of whom were regular soldiers, to participate in the 'crusade' against Bolshevism on the Eastern Front.
On 25 July 1941 the Spanish 'Blue' (Azul) Division became the 250th Infantry Division of the German Army.

On 2 July 1942 Romanian formations forming part of the German 11th Army took Sevastopol, and then moved to the Don region. In the summer of 1942, the Romanian Army on the Eastern Front consisted of the 3rd and 4th Armies (13 infantry, one armoured and two cavalry divisions), two divisions in the Crimea, and six divisions in the Caucasus. Also on active duty were a further 26 divisions on security duties behind the front
There is also a commonality among these nation's...Equipment !! As an example all these nation's used the 38(t)...Would it not be possible to launch a mini series of say six troops for each nation with a 38(t) badged as their nation ?? I for one would love to see something like that happen...Andy/K&C developed a 38(t) because we as collector's showed interest in one...
I am hoping at some point this year...2014...We may have something new for the FOB line !!

Any Thought's ? Please feel free to comment...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to ALL !!

Joe

Hey Joe, I think that you brought up a few Good Points here. If anything maybe a few figures for each Axis Allied Unit for a representation in Matte ? :salute::

As an example all these nation's used the 38(t)...Would it not be possible to launch a mini series of say six troops for each nation with a 38(t) badged as their nation ?? I for one would love to see something like that happen...
You make some great points/suggestions. Really like the idea of some figure sets. Reminds me of stuff we've seen in plastic by new Britains Deetail. I have an SS set with regimental flag. King & Country could really benefit from a similar idea and offer more diversity in nations.

The 38T is a great idea and other vehicles would be nice as well.

An example, my SS set of Britains Deetail figures (less one):

8439460741_b5110b86f6_o.jpg

Last edited:
This subject has been mentioned & discussed in toy soldier circles for some time...Since we are heading into a new year , i wanted to make note of the magnitude of the involvement of Germany's allied nation's in the war effort...I have started collecting Hiriart (glossy) recently & have been really amazed at the range of their release's...It has really made me think why this cannot be done in the Matte toy soldier world...
I know the argument that only what is sure to sell well is made...But how can you say if a line such as Hungarian or Slovak or Romanian unit's will sell well if nobody has ever made them before ? I believe we as collector's are intelligent & bound to history as it occurred...Where are these nation's represented in your collection or in your diorama's ??? It is like they never existed at all...just some notes i found online as follows :

In spring 1942 Germany's need for more manpower on the Eastern Front demanded a maximum effort and the Hungarians despatched to the front the 2nd Hungarian Army with 200,000 men, consisting of nine light infantry divisions (two instead of three infantry regiments each), and the pride of the Honved, the 1st Armoured Division with 83 Czech LT38 ( = PzKpfw 38(t) ) tanks, two Toldi light tanks (Swedish, but made under licence in Hungary) and 22 German Panzer Mk I tanks

For the German invasion of the Soviet Union the Slovaks placed at the disposal of the Germans a light brigade of 3,500 men which was partially motorised and included a battalion of Czech light tanks (= PzKpfw 38(t) ), and an army corps of two infantry divisions and divisional troops. The total strength of the Slovak commitment in July 1941 was 40,393 men and 1,346 officers.

In return for German help in the Spanish Civil War, Franco agreed to the formation of a Spanish Volunteer Division of 18,000 men, most of whom were regular soldiers, to participate in the 'crusade' against Bolshevism on the Eastern Front.
On 25 July 1941 the Spanish 'Blue' (Azul) Division became the 250th Infantry Division of the German Army.

On 2 July 1942 Romanian formations forming part of the German 11th Army took Sevastopol, and then moved to the Don region. In the summer of 1942, the Romanian Army on the Eastern Front consisted of the 3rd and 4th Armies (13 infantry, one armoured and two cavalry divisions), two divisions in the Crimea, and six divisions in the Caucasus. Also on active duty were a further 26 divisions on security duties behind the front
There is also a commonality among these nation's...Equipment !! As an example all these nation's used the 38(t)...Would it not be possible to launch a mini series of say six troops for each nation with a 38(t) badged as their nation ?? I for one would love to see something like that happen...Andy/K&C developed a 38(t) because we as collector's showed interest in one...
I am hoping at some point this year...2014...We may have something new for the FOB line !!

Any Thought's ? Please feel free to comment...

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to ALL !!

Joe
Very interesting Joe....I for one have never clicked that the Germans had allies, I thought they fought the war solely with German nationals.(guess you can blame TS for that).....silly me....in defense of K&C... WW2 is a big field to cover though I think your idea is a missing element in their coverage of WW 2.....something I feel K&C have missed in covering WW2...Audie Murphy...they have figure's of Generals etc...but...the common old, other rank ,soldier is ignored....Audie was a real GI.. and an American hero.....Americans love their hero's but Audie is ignored ......maybe the Yanks rather have movie star hero's rather than the fair dinkum thing....Merry Xmas mate and maybe K&C might consider your suggestions next year ....regards TomB

Hey Joe, I think that you brought up a few Good Points here. If anything maybe a few figures for each Axis Allied Unit for a representation in Matte ? :salute::

Wayne ,

I think that would play out well...Would work well in an Eastern Front Dio , to have german troops being supported by say Hungarian or Romanian or Slovak troops while attacking a Russian position...!
Historically accurate & also adding another demention of breath to a dio...IMO
It just seems to make economical sense for a company like K&C to get the most out of there product...
They designed the 38(t) , great little early war AFV...Why not redo a 38(t) as a Hungarian or Romanian or Slovak tank...? I think if Andy/K&C started a mini-series in the FOB line...Which is what i thought it was meant to be ?! I think it would do well & raise alot of speculation each month as to whom might be represented next ?! It would generate BUZZ ! That is what K&C is & should continue to be...A trend setter , going where other companies don't or won't go...

Joe

You forget the Japs!!!!
The Wehrmacht had a lot of Japanese volunteers .Battalion 43 consisted exclusively of East Asians from China , Japan, Korea and Mongolia.They fought mainly on the Russian front. Early 1944 Batt 43 withdrew from the Eastern Front and was sent to France to join Rommel's army .On D-Day they were scattered along the landing beaches. At the end of the day(6th June) Batt 43 had been completely crushed.
guy

Good points Joe made on the subject. And he points out that some appropriate figures have already been produced glossy; if they sold ok glossy why would they not sell Matt?

Although a different line, I think a Russian Finnish. War line would be neat.

You could even add the Italian Expeditionary force and the Croatian regiment that fought and was wiped out at Stalingrad to the mix. Normally I would say this is a pipe dream but Andy is anything but predictable :) and if you can do the Handschar unit than anything is possible. I am guessing you would do a mix of eastern front allies as you would not want whole dispatches covered by individual countries. Personally I would love to see the 1939 Poles including Calvary for the next FOB release but this is definitely something that I would buy if it came out. My biggest concern is this board perception represents the hardcore TS fan and not necessarily the mass market which would prefer more germans, british and americans. Technically you could add the Bulgarians if you wanted to the mix but I am guessing they were more occupying forces in Yugloslavia despite declaring war on just the western allies but not the Soviet Union.

I agree.....But about the easten front, 1942, you forget the largest of germans' allied troops: the italians.:wink2:

About 100 000 italian soldiers were sent to Russia ( ARMIR) to support and protect the 6th army side together with the hungarians, romanians...And very few of them came back.

Certainly love to see Finns - both Winter war and Continuation war. The Finns were still using their StuGs well into the 1960s and the Hungarians would make some interesting subjects. It's interesting that over in the 1/35 AFV kit world an increasing number of models featuring the equipment of Germany's allies, such as the light Hungarian Toldi tank are appearing as kits.

Remember the Atlantic wall set? That set had an Indian figure in turban! So this area has been started (kind of) haha!

Scott

There were a lot of Axis Allied forces tied into the Germans on the Eastern front during WWII. Another one to add would be the French Charlemagne SS Division which helped fight the Russians during the final battle in Berlin.
Possibly identifying the top 2 or 3 most popular axis allied forces may be the way to go here. I would think trying to do them all would be a far stretch. Seems like the New Handschar troops are a good start !

There were a lot of Axis Allied forces tied into the Germans on the Eastern front during WWII. Another one to add would be the French Charlemagne SS Division which helped fight the Russians during the final battle in Berlin.
Possibly identifying the top 2 or 3 most popular axis allied forces may be the way to go here. I would think trying to do them all would be a far stretch. Seems like the New Handschar troops are a good start !

Approx 900.000 soldiers from different countries ( occupied and other countries)fought with the Germans. From my country - unfortunately - one finds the Waffen SS Flemish Legion with 10.000 men and the 28th SS Freilwilligen Grenadier Division Wallonien with 6.700 men . There were also 22.000 Dutchmen in the Waffen SS
guy:(

Approx 900.000 soldiers from different countries ( occupied and other countries)fought with the Germans. From my country - unfortunately - one finds the Waffen SS Flemish Legion with 10.000 men and the 28th SS Freilwilligen Grenadier Division Wallonien with 6.700 men . There were also 22.000 Dutchmen in the Waffen SS
guy:(

Maybe someone should start a poll to see which Axis Allied forces come out on top !

I collect Italian armour used in North Afrika. There is little scope for Italian models from the Eastern Front. Of the 10 Italian divisions there, only 3 were mechanized (trucks) and only one of them had any tanks - about 60 L6/40 light tanks with a 20mm gun and eventually 12 Panzer IV. Essentially, the Eastern Front Italians were an infantry force that was in Russia for only a short time till they were wiped out at Stalingrad. If K&C do an L6/40 for North Afrika, it may serve for the Eastern Front version with different markings.

250px-Fiat-Ansaldo_L6_40.jpg

Maybe someone should start a poll to see which Axis Allied forces come out on top !

Wayne ,

A poll would be a great idea...It would have to be hungarian,romanian,spanish,slovak,italian,finnish,bulgarian...As for the SS divisions of different nations , are there any marked differences in uniform from the regular SS ?! For example the Handscar were unique due to the Fez's they wore...
Does anybody know how to set-up a poll ??

Joe

I collect Italian armour used in North Afrika. There is little scope for Italian models from the Eastern Front. Of the 10 Italian divisions there, only 3 were mechanized (trucks) and only one of them had any tanks - about 60 L6/40 light tanks with a 20mm gun and eventually 12 Panzer IV. Essentially, the Eastern Front Italians were an infantry force that was in Russia for only a short time till they were wiped out at Stalingrad. If K&C do an L6/40 for North Afrika, it may serve for the Eastern Front version with different markings.

250px-Fiat-Ansaldo_L6_40.jpg

Terry,

I would like to see an L6/40 , would look good for either front...Got the K&C Italian M13/40 it could use some company...

Joe

Certainly love to see Finns - both Winter war and Continuation war. The Finns were still using their StuGs well into the 1960s and the Hungarians would make some interesting subjects. It's interesting that over in the 1/35 AFV kit world an increasing number of models featuring the equipment of Germany's allies, such as the light Hungarian Toldi tank are appearing as kits.

The Finn's would be awesome...The creator's of the molotov cocktail , gave the russian's a black eye when they invaded in 1939...A finnish Stug would be a great idea...

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back