The Long and winding road (1 Viewer)

While in London many moons ago I popped into the tradition of London shop and didn’t realise it was about to close. I picked up a few items including a fantastic study of the Duke of Marlborough. If I had known it was going fully on line I may have purchased a few more items. But I am determined to buy more from this great manufacturer. GNM have always eluded me as several emails enquiring after figures have gone unanswered. I did pick up a couple of French Nap camel corps figures from the Guards Toy soldier shop in London a few years back and I am determined to try once more as I really like the Crimean War British cavalry they have for sale.

Attachments

• DSCN7282.jpg
    DSCN7282.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 260
  • DSCN7285.JPG
    DSCN7285.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 249
  • DSCN8516.JPG
    DSCN8516.JPG
    338.9 KB · Views: 258
  • DSCN9580.JPG
    DSCN9580.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 263
  • DSCN9587.JPG
    DSCN9587.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 261
Many other manufactures have graced my collection, some from unknown makers, and also 1970’s plastic figures that while I have not gone out of my way to collect have fallen into my hands. Memories of childhood and boyish things come flooding back when I handle these things. I started with enthusiasm collecting WW1 Belgium infantry and British Tommies from Empire Miniatures but unfortunately after a bright start Malcolm and his start up quickly faded.

Attachments

• DSCN3552.JPG
    DSCN3552.JPG
    278.1 KB · Views: 313
  • DSCN7657.JPG
    DSCN7657.JPG
    284.4 KB · Views: 289
  • DSCN8238.JPG
    DSCN8238.JPG
    323 KB · Views: 287
  • DSCN9410.JPG
    DSCN9410.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN9414.JPG
    DSCN9414.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 286
The collecting path is a wondrous one that meanders its way through lazy slow current bends that are to be savoured and enjoyed as the diverse nature of my collection continues to grow. Each figure is a miniature work of art to be mixed and matched with many others.

Attachments

• DSCN9447.jpg
    DSCN9447.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN1719.JPG
    DSCN1719.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 306
  • Barb 14.JPG
    Barb 14.JPG
    292.8 KB · Views: 268
  • DSCN7939.JPG
    DSCN7939.JPG
    446.8 KB · Views: 279
  • DSCN9070.JPG
    DSCN9070.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 281
Amazing photos of so many different makes, I was surprised at how well detailed some of the glossy sets are these days.

Gary,

There are very few collectors I know of who have as broad and diverse collection as you. Like Tom Dubel, you must have a very understanding spouse!:salute::

Gary,
What a treat it was to read your thread! You remind me of the thread on Tumbler under the name a-generals-diary.
Have you seen it?
Thanks,
MikeNick

You really have a great passion for toysoldiers...I thought I have a great passion for this hobby, but your love and admiration for the "little men" is inspiring to all collectors.
It is really interesting you like all the styles and all the historical periods, also the most unusual ones.

Gary...your collection is amazing...and from what I have seen in the past...this is not all of your collection...fantastic!

That is an amazing, inspiring, and intimidating :D story, and an amazing,inspiring, and intimidating collection! Thanks for taking the time to share all that great information, and those glorious pictures.

I remember visiting Cornwall several years ago (an old stomping ground for my wife and I) and renting a cottage for our wider family on a trip back from NZ to the motherland. I wanted to book up a romantic meal at the restaurant where I went with my then new girlfriend on our first date. I sneaked out and got the short ferry ride across from our remote cottage to the city of Truro and booked a table. I stopped off for a coffee in the town before returning and while waiting for my beverage I was trawling my phone and came across Madrid based manufacturer Kronprinz. Spanish themed figures from The Spanish Civil War, Napoleonic’s, Renascence, Pavia and others were ordered. I started with Spanish Naps and fell in love with their sculpting and painting style.

Hi, may I ask where you got the Italian Soldiers? Are they still in production?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back