The Louis Badolato Collection (4 Viewers)

I suppose I should let Louis answer but that was made by King and Country. Everything you see there is by King and Country. Louis can fill you in how he got the bridge.

Who made the bridge in your Afrika Corps diorama?

Time for another quote from the book:

"By September, 1997 a one of a kind Afrika Corps. Diorama was built for the flyer launching the first Afrika Corps release . . . The Afrika Corps diorama depicted a railroad bridge passing over a dried up North African wadi, with a knocked out British Humber staff car und the bridge, a small well adjacent to the bridge on one side, and two walls from a ruined sandstone building (made with half of the Alamo Jim Bowie’s bedroom) on the other. Telephone poles and wires passed across the scene. This diorama was eventually redisplayed in several other catalogues with the SAS and LRDG vehicles, as well as the desert version of the Bren Gun Carrier and Quad Gun and Limber. The author purchased this diorama from K&C in 1999 for $1250." Chapter 8.

"The Humber Staff Car, a one of a kind, is the first of the very interesting conversions done by Andy and Gordon Neilson over the years. These talented and imaginative brothers took a metal collectors version of a Humber convertible, completely refinished it in 8th Army camouflage and markings, suitably weathered, and then painted onto the body and drilled into the windshield machine gun bullet holes, connecting these with scratches in the plastic windshield to simulate cracks in the shattered glass. The effect is so realistic it’s staggering." Chapter 5.

Of all the things in Louis' collection, this is probably my favorite. It really has to be seen. It's probably the item that I spent most of my time looking at.

http://www.toysoldiersusa.com/cgi-l...gory=SYMPOSIUM 2006&subsubcategory=&offset=30
If you go to this link, thare are more photos of your collection. In the 1st and 2nd pictures there is a large grey base with Arnhem sets,D-Day sets, European houses and a small bridge that runs from one side of the grey base to the other.
I know you probably added the houses and figures but I was just wondering if you bought that base, or if it was made for you?

http://www.toysoldiersusa.com/cgi-l...gory=SYMPOSIUM 2006&subsubcategory=&offset=30
If you go to this link, thare are more photos of your collection. In the 1st and 2nd pictures there is a large grey base with Arnhem sets,D-Day sets, European houses and a small bridge that runs from one side of the grey base to the other.
I know you probably added the houses and figures but I was just wondering if you bought that base, or if it was made for you?

Another quote from the book about the base:

"By February, 1996, Andy and Gordon realized what I hope the reader has recognized, that the only thing preventing a collector from completely recreating a circa 1895 Hong Kong Street scene is a street base. The February, 1996 Supplement addressed this deficiency as follows:

“Add an extra touch of realism to your ‘Streets of Old Hong Kong’ scene with our platform and bridge set. Two dockside jetties connected by a traditional Chinese hump-backed bridge. Constructed in sturdy wood and paper mache, these three pieces make an ideal base for our Chinese figures and buildings.”

These two dockside jetties and bridge (all done in tan to appear as sandstone), originally designated HKBI, and later redesignated HKB07, originally retailed for $204, subsequently raised to $256.

By 1998, Andy and Gordon had custom made dark gray cobblestoned versions of the two dockside jetties and bridge set, with a single arched European style stone bridge, for use as a WWII European Diorama base. These custom made sets retailed for $500."

A further quote about the houses:

"Again in the February, 1996 “Achtung!” flyer, K&C released four more buildings employing this concept, the four WWII era European “backlot” buildings (a concept Andy borrowed from Movie Studio lots, which might have a New York City scene on one façade but an Old West façade on the opposite side of the same structure). These buildings included a French Hotel/Dutch Warehouse, a Train Station/Cinema Theater, a Dutch House/French Bakery and a French Shop Building/Gateway. These buildings were well constructed in wood a papier mache, with individually cut tile roofs, and open windows and doors with interior floors in which figures can be placed. The buildings are covered with prints of real WWII era movie and propaganda posters, shop window displays and shop signs. These buildings, originally designated Backlot Building ‘A’ through ‘D’, and later designated BBA1, BBB1, BBC1 and BBD1, retailed for $128, except for the Dutch House/French Bakery which originally retailed for $115 and was later raised to $128.

By June, 1996, a fifth Backlot building was added, a French Restaurant or Café/German House. This building, originally designated Backlot Building ‘E’, and later designated BBE1, retailed for $128."

Just so you know, everything on display at the Symposium from my collection was made by K&C, every single figure, building, diorama, base, vehicle and aircraft. I only display K&C stuff, Figarti vehicles, Heco tinplate vehicles and aircraft, and a few select Trophy pieces (including two of the large Trophy ships). The rest of my collection (Britains, Imperial, Frontline, Trophy, Steadfast, Tommy Atkins, Tradition, Toy Army Workshop, Heritage, Americans in Miniature, Ron Wall, Guard Corps.) is boxed up in storage.

Just so you know, everything on display at the Symposium from my collection was made by K&C, every single figure, building, diorama, base, vehicle and aircraft. I only display K&C stuff, Figarti vehicles, Heco tinplate vehicles and aircraft, and a few select Trophy pieces (including two of the large Trophy ships). The rest of my collection (Britains, Imperial, Frontline, Trophy, Steadfast, Tommy Atkins, Tradition, Toy Army Workshop, Heritage, Americans in Miniature, Ron Wall, Guard Corps.) is boxed up in storage.

There is one exception, the P47 Thunderbolt is a Motion Models custom reproduction of the K&C model, which I could never find.

Thought I'd bring this up again so people could see some of the things that will be in the book. Photo are mine. I'm not in Kevin's class but I thought some of them came out nicely :)

I just thought I would pull this up since some interest has been shown in photographs of the early stuff . . . these shots were taken at the second Symposium, the first held in my home in Roslyn Harbor, before the museum was built.

Bringing this up for those who might like to take a look at Louis' collection as Currahee Chris may have whetted some appetites. This was before he had the attic refurbished.

Has Louis ever done an inventory on all his planes,figures and vehicles?I'm curious on how many planes he has.
Mark

Counting K & C and Heco, I'd have to think that it would be somewhere north of 125 but I'm sure he knows the exact number.

AWESOME COLLECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thanks for sharing.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back