The Royal Fusiliers Side Drummer (2 Viewers)

blaster

Captain
Hi All,

I discovered this little gem from my crypt - even the staples were rusted through. It's a delightful model soldier kit and I took some nostalgic pictures before I start to work on it. Any comments from you informed lot are most welcome.

Rgds Victor

Attachments

• P1060575.JPG
    P1060575.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 472
  • P1060576.JPG
    P1060576.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 473
  • P1060577.JPG
    P1060577.JPG
    585.9 KB · Views: 498
Ive assembled this kit, barring the bugle and now checking on how it was slung. As you can see, the kit provides two twisted cords and one straight wire. I am not immediately clear on what they are used for.

I drilled a tiny hole (0.6mm) into the drum and trouser leg to fit in a wire to further stabilise the joint.

Rgds Victor

P1060585.JPGP1060586.JPG

Nice figure Scott - looks very like some of the Asset Fusiliers range - so maybe the same hand was present in his sculpture. Have a word with Trooper????

As to the bugle - have a look at Google images - where you will find that this instrument hangs on a cord ( your twisted wires) which goes over the left shoulder and hangs the bugle fore and aft low down on the right/rear, with mouthpiece towards the front of the marching drummer/bugler. As it swings about a bit on its cords - it usually ends up just about at the hem of his jacket - towards his right rear. Once you find a pic - you'll see what I mean straight away. The bugle cords are in different colours for whichever Fusilier Rgt. you are going to make him up as.

Good idea to pin the drum where it can't be seen - I often do this too. jb

The cords for Royal regiments are blue,red and yellow. You do realise you have to carve off the left plume? Unless you want nice "Gosling Green facings" then it's the right that has to go!^&grin

Martin

Nice figure Scott - looks very like some of the Asset Fusiliers range - so maybe the same hand was present in his sculpture. Have a word with Trooper????

Correct, Johnny. Same sculptor. Trooper

I have repainted a set of royal Regiment of Fusilier drummers for a Canadian collector

The figures are Britain's, but I had to add the drum loops and the bugle chord using wire.

When I find some other pics, I'll post them, but as a preview, here is the Corps of Drums:

RRF_pt1.jpg

John

Found this image,

4 faces of the RRF drummers, showing bugle, chords (I used copper wire) and Twisted wire drum loops.

rrfdrums.JPG

Note drummer's lace.

John

Hi All,

who needs reference books?....:)

Thanks for all the inputs and pics. I've completed the bugle and the drum slings. I drilled and pinned the bugle to the figure for stability. Then I wound the bugle sling around the bugle to make it look taut. I haven't added any twisted wire to the bugle sling as I wasn't sure how long they would be. I made my own drum slings by pleating 3 wires. I will remove the left plume.

Rgds

Victor

P1060588.JPGP1060590.JPGP1060593.JPGP1060595.JPG

I also started laying down colours for the Royal Fusilier, circa 1910.

Rgds Victor

P1060603.JPG

I attach a video of the current RRF:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vRJyjevRao

I was initially puzzled by John's Drum major wearing a large bearskin hat but the video shows this to be the case.

This 2nd video shows a close up fo the drums:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsLsBb6VNUM

Also, when I surfed the web for more info, I realised that this was the regt of drummer Lee Rigby who was tragically killed recently.

Rgds Victor

Last edited:
Most fusilier Drum Majors wear an officers patter bearskin, rather than the seal skin cap worn by other ranks. Note that the present Royal Regiment of Fusiliers use the drum colours of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers as well as the red and white hackle.(it's not to late to paint it as the senior fusilier regiment!^&grin)

Martin

p.s. most of the modern drummers seam to have forgotten how to wear a berret!!{eek3}

Hello Martin and all,

These fusilier regts and btns... are giving me a little headache:

1. I notice that present pics seem to show cords (with twisted) starting from the 2nd buttonhole (?) and then appearing to go under the right armpit and then ending around the left shoulder strap. Are these an alternative to bugle cords? Was this done circa 1910?

2.There is reference to roses worn on Minden day. If I decorated my drum with roses, what other details should I add?

3. If Minden day, which fusilier regt should I represent then circa 1910?

Rgds Victor

Hello Martin and all,

These fusilier regts and btns... are giving me a little headache:

1. I notice that present pics seem to show cords (with twisted) starting from the 2nd buttonhole (?) and then appearing to go under the right armpit and then ending around the left shoulder strap. Are these an alternative to bugle cords? Was this done circa 1910?

2.There is reference to roses worn on Minden day. If I decorated my drum with roses, what other details should I add?

3. If Minden day, which fusilier regt should I represent then circa 1910?

Rgds Victor

The plaited extra bugle cords are a decoration that I believe began after the WW1.

Minden day is a Lancashire Fusilier day and yellow roses are worn.

The present amalgemated regiment celebrates St. George's day, which was Northumberland Fusiliers big day. All drums a festooned with red and white roses. Also the youngest member of the cops of drums carries "The Drummers Colour". By way until 1902 only the Northumberland Fusiliers wore a plume.

Martin

p.s The ancestors of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers are Northumberland, Royal and Lancashire Fusiliers and the Royal Warwickshire regiment.

Northumberland Fusiliers fifes and drums showing rose decorated drums and Broderick caps. Note also the "Drummer's colour" Trooper

Attachments

• north fus.jpg
    north fus.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 146
Here's a drummer boy on St.Georges Day 1897. Like all English regiments the facings were changed to white in 1881. It took until 1899 for the original "Gosling Green" facings to be restored.

Martin

Attachments

• northumberlandband1897 (1).jpg
    northumberlandband1897 (1).jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 152
Hi All,

I rediscovered this figure. I had put it aside for a while when I realised that the drummer from this regt was so sadly murdered a few years back and I couldn't work on it then. Anyway, I think that I would like to get on with it now.

The picture shows the piece as it was then.

I think that I will add a bit of bulk to the Fusilier bearskin to make it slightly more substantial, but less so than a Guardsman bearskin. I will use a plastic Britains Guardman figure as size ref. Anyway, the RSMs amongst you lot will correct this visually for me on this thread...:).

Rgds Victor

P1120056.JPG

I have started to add putty to the bearskin. The left plume was removed. Then I bulked out the trousers. I have also decided to resculpt the face.

P1120061.JPGP1120062.JPG
P1120075.JPGP1120076.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back