The Royal Fusiliers Side Drummer (1 Viewer)

Some progress on the face which I am redoing to keep it consistent with the bulked out fusilier bearskin.

P1120095.JPG

I sanded down the fusilier bearskin to the correct shape, then added the plume and badge.

P1120205.JPG

Here's a drummer boy on St.Georges Day 1897. Like all English regiments the facings were changed to white in 1881. It took until 1899 for the original "Gosling Green" facings to be restored.

Martin

Hi Martin,
I think you mean the 5th of foot Northumberland Fusiliers. I have a jacket in my possession and it is faced with Gosling green circa 1900.
Regards,
John

Here's a drummer boy on St.Georges Day 1897. Like all English regiments the facings were changed to white in 1881. It took until 1899 for the original "Gosling Green" facings to be restored.

Martin

Hi again Martin,
Sorry............I didn't scroll back to see your earlier posts!. I served with the band and drums of the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers during my 22 years service. As mentioned , when we trooped the colours on St Georges day we not only trooped the 2 Regimental colours but also the "Drummers" or Wilhelmstahl colour. This was originally a French colour which was captured at the 7 years war battle 24th June 1762.
The Regiment kept this colour unofficially and paraded it on ceremonial occassions. The original colour was destroyed in a fire and a replacement was made from Gosling Green silk and traditionally carried by the "shortest" drummer on St. Georges day. It was paraded directly behind the drum major. After the amalgamation, the colour was meant to be held at regular intervals by each of the battalions, but it didn't stray too far from the 1st battalion (ex - Northumberland) which as memory serves...caused a bit of whinging in the other Officer's messes.! Of course, since the amalgamation in 1968,when there were 4 battalions (RRF), today there is only one.

Regards,
John.

I scrapped off the stub on the upper right hand and painted the base in gloss black and am mounting it on a small wooden stand. This will be easier to handle for painting the rest of the figure.

P1120219.JPG

Then I found this really nice picture of a Northumberland Fusilier Drummer with roses adorning his drum. I have decided to alter the model to fit this drummer. I carved off the right plume and will install a plume on the left side.

Presentation1.jpg

The figure as it was before and after the plume, straps and bugle tassels were added.

P1130017.JPGP1130018.JPGP1130022.JPG

It's great to see a little project like this get new life and move on towards completion!

Speaking of Minden, when Tradition came out with its Seven Years War British and French figure kits, I got it into my head to put together a diorama of the Battle of Minden, some day. Imrie-Risley RevWar Hessians can stand in for, well, Hessians. The hardest figures to depict are the Hannoverians. Their colors are British, but the cut of their uniforms is more German than British, and not quite Prussian. I've been accumulating figures towards this goal, but I don't know if I'll ever finish it.

This thread also reminds me of how cool it is that we have so many British veterans among our numbers, who can share such little-known details about the histories of their alma maters. It really provides color to knowledge about the period.

Looking forward to your update, Vic!

Prost!
Brad

Hi Brad and Martin,

I missed seeing your replies on this thread (Sorry - just too many threads of mine:O). Lancashire Fusiliers noted.

I was stumped on this piece as I had intended to add roses to the figure from dried flowers. Another way would be to sculpt my own flowers from putty. I haven't decided yet.

Rgds Victor

As I was doing foliage, I recovered this forgotten piece from the cupboard and decided to cover the drums with dried flowers. I used a picture of a drummer from 1908 celebrating Minden Day.

Pretty good effect, eh?

a5.jpga6.jpg

I coated the flowers with a very thick gloss acrylic varnish and when dried, I painted dullcote over the figure, leaving the shoes and bugle shiny.

That's it for this figure. Thanks to all of you for clarifying uniform details.

Rgds Victor

aa.jpgaa2.jpgaa3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back