The Ten Best War Movies of All Times (1 Viewer)

I remember the movie "When Trumpets Fade". I had never heard of the Huertgen Forrest before, and the movie really disturbed me. I read up on the battle, and it began my complete disillusionment with Allied, and particularly American, leadership during the war. I began to realize how much we owed to the troops under the rank of Colonel, and that we won that war in spite of the higher ranking officers. At least that's my read of the situation.

"Midway" was one of the first war movies I ever watched as a kid. The scene with the herioc Torpedo Bomber pilots all being shot down cemented an early love for the U.S. armored forces, and an unhealthy hatred for the Japanese people I have never really fully overcome. To this day every time I see footage of a Jap Carrier taking a hit from U.S. Dive Bombers it makes me feel good. I hold no malice against Japanese individuals, but I still have no respect for the Japanese government which ignores their horrendous war crimes, and the Japanese industry which supported them.

First of all this is a superb thread really enjoyable.There were of course loads of films i had to leave out.'Cross of iron' 'Enemy at the gates ' 'Midway' 'Patton' etc.As i said before i also love Propaganda/home front type of films.'Dunkirk' 'Went the day well' 'Mrs Miniver' 'Next of kin' etc.

Secondly i agree with Louis 100% on the Japenese question.From the age of about ten my blood has boiled at the the thought of what the Japs did to my countrymen who were in their captivity during WW2.(actually that is why although its a superb film i cannot enjoy Bridge over the river Kwai).I also only recently discovered how Japenese sailors had picked up downed US Airmen interrogated them and then tied them to full gasoline barrels and throw them overboard. Scum absolute scum.Yet another reason to celebrate our two countries coming together and destroying them.

Rob

Some great films on these lists.

I saw a BBC film a couple years back called "All the King's Men". It was set during WW1 and told the story of the King's Sandringham regiment that went missing at Gallipoli.
You really get to know the characters and the ending is one of the most disturbing I've ever seen.
It's probably a hard one to track down but well worth it.

I'm not sure of the name of the movie, and I'm not sure if its been mentioned. I am not going to reread every thread. The Battle of New Orleans with Charleton Hesten playing Old Hickory Andrew Jackson. Not sure but was it Yul Brenner playing Jean Lefeate? I use to love that movie and would set up my little men and play it out. Mike.

Some great films on these lists.

I saw a BBC film a couple years back called "All the King's Men". It was set during WW1 and told the story of the King's Sandringham regiment that went missing at Gallipoli.
You really get to know the characters and the ending is one of the most disturbing I've ever seen.
It's probably a hard one to track down but well worth it.

I saw that too,very good indeed.A tragic example of the Debacle at Gallipoli and very entertaining.A while back we were all talking about the film 'The Hill',its on tommorow night 11.10PM on the TCM channel.

Rob

I just got done reading Ship Of Ghosts about the survivors of the USS Houston. They were taken prisoner and sent to Thailand to work on the Thailand - Burma railway. The treatment of prisoners was unreal. They were just used up and left to die with no real medical treatment and hardly any food. The U.S. signed some treaty in 1951 and part of it prevented American servicemen from seeking reparations for mistreatment.

I watched a History Channel show about Wake Island last night. 5 airmen were beheaded because of the heroic actions of the airmen in sending two Japanese ships and many jap bombers to the bottom of the sea, and 98 civilian workers were executed when the United States was about to retake the island at the end of the war, not to mention the attrocities committed against the POW's, one of whom, who had a bullet wound in his back, was beaten across the back repeatedly. When I think that the Japanese war criminals were for the most part allowed to get away with these actions because of the putz MacArthur and his misguided fear of the Russians, it just makes my blood boil. Japan should not be a modern industrial nation today. We should have stripped that country of all modern conveniences, split it up like we did Germany, and kept them as an American protectorate.

First of all this is a superb thread really enjoyable.There were of course loads of films i had to leave out.'Cross of iron' 'Enemy at the gates ' 'Midway' 'Patton' etc.As i said before i also love Propaganda/home front type of films.'Dunkirk' 'Went the day well' 'Mrs Miniver' 'Next of kin' etc.

Secondly i agree with Louis 100% on the Japenese question.From the age of about ten my blood has boiled at the the thought of what the Japs did to my countrymen who were in their captivity during WW2.(actually that is why although its a superb film i cannot enjoy Bridge over the river Kwai).I also only recently discovered how Japenese sailors had picked up downed US Airmen interrogated them and then tied them to full gasoline barrels and throw them overboard. Scum absolute scum.Yet another reason to celebrate our two countries coming together and destroying them.

Rob

And if you think what they did to our countrymen was bad, ask someone Chinese about their actions (the Rape on Nanking being the most publicized of many thousands of attrocities against civilians in China). And if you read a Japanese school book, not only did none of this ever happen, but about the only mention of WWII is that the bad Americans dropped Atom bombs on their innocent cities.

Absolutely.How can people expect children to grow up with a full understanding of their countrys history if all the bad stuff is left out?.Its a disgrace.And as you say its all about the A Bomb.No torture of prisoners,no Pearl Harbour,no Atrocities in China.Their government should hang their heads in shame.

Rob

I know they were WW2 propaganda films, but please don't forget (1) Bataan, (2) Action in the North Atlantic ,(3) Objective Burma ,and (4) 30 Seconds Over Tokyo together with the modern film, Black Hawk Down.

Being a long-time Civil War guy, I'd have to put Glory in there somewhere. Been a long time since I've seen it. I'm due...

Not yet but its meant to be very good

Rob

I watched a History Channel show about Wake Island last night. 5 airmen were beheaded because of the heroic actions of the airmen in sending two Japanese ships and many jap bombers to the bottom of the sea, and 98 civilian workers were executed when the United States was about to retake the island at the end of the war, not to mention the attrocities committed against the POW's, one of whom, who had a bullet wound in his back, was beaten across the back repeatedly. When I think that the Japanese war criminals were for the most part allowed to get away with these actions because of the putz MacArthur and his misguided fear of the Russians, it just makes my blood boil. Japan should not be a modern industrial nation today. We should have stripped that country of all modern conveniences, split it up like we did Germany, and kept them as an American protectorate.

You're right. MacArthur let the Emporer stay in power because he was afraid of the Japanese turning to the Russians. It's funny that if you go to Hawaii now, the Japanese own a lot of Waikiki. It was strange going on a tour of Pearl Harbor with Japanese tourists.

I will answer my own question, it was The Buccaneer. What happened in WWII, happened. The Japs payed dearly, and so did the Germans and the whole world for that matter. Lets just pray for the fallen, and each other. Our motto as true christians should be, God Bless The World. Lets keep this to nameing movies. Mike.

I agree with Mike. Let's focus on the movies.* I also don't subscribe to the notion of interpreting yesterday's events through today's eyes. By the time Japan had surrendered, we were beginning the Cold War and there was good reason for what was done. In fact, the Cold War had probably begun in 1944 when the Soviets let the Warsaw uprising be supressed as they wanted their Poles controlling the future of Poland.

*This is just me, not the moderator, talking.

Yeah I guess we were getting off the subject. Here's one I don't think was mentioned - Merrill's Marauders.

Looking at my previous list, and after all the subsequent posts, I can't help kicking myself for not mentioning the interrogation scenes in "Rome: Open City" and last year's movie about the White Rose movement "Sophie Scholl". These go to show that the menace of the Nazi regime doesn't even need pyrotechnics to convey the horror.

On a lighter note, does "Carry on Up the Khyber" count as a war movie?

Not posting my top ten I thought I'd take the liberty of posting two...The Lt.

Top 10 Movies of the 60's to Date

1. Never So Few
2. ZULU
3. ZULU Dawn
4. The Guns of Naverone
5. Were Eagles Dare
6. The Eagle Has Landed
7. A Bridge To Far
8. The Longest Day
9. Lawrence of Arabia
10. The Great Escape

Top 10 Movies of the 30's, 40's 50's

1. Beau Geste
2. Four Feathers
3. Gunga Din
4. The Charge of The Light Brigade
5. The Desert Fox
6. Gun Ho
7. The Flying Tigers
8. The Fighting Sea Bees
9. Guadacanal
10. A Walk In The Sun

Bet you did'nt guess my number one favorite of the 60's on.......Joe

I've come in late on this one, has anyone mentioned "Ice Cold in Alex"?

Jeff

Cheers Forum Squadron Members:

This is a tough list to compose & can change daily for me but I will give it a shot...

I. Band of Brothers
II. Saving Private Ryan
III. Piece of Cake
IV. Memphis Belle
V. Battle of Britain
VI. Battle of the Bulge
VII. The War Lover
VIII. A Bridge Too Far
IX. Midway
X. The Beast

Awhile back Military Classics Illustred featured their pick for the 10 Best War Movies of All Times. Let's see what we come up with for our BEST 10.

Their Top Ten

1. Lawrence of Arabia, 1962
2. All Quite on the Western Front, 1930
3. ZULU, 1964
4. The Great Escape, 1963
5. They Were Expendable, 1945
6. Patton, 1970
7. Four Feathers, 1939
8. Apoclypse Now, 1979
9. Battle Ground, 1949
10.The Charge of The Light Brigade,1936

Also ran as runners up

11. Gunga Din, 1939
12. Paths of Glory, 1957
13. The Bridge On the River Kwai, 1957
14. Wings, 1927
15. The Longest Day, 1962
16. The Sands of Iwo Jima, 1949
17. The Sand Pebbles, 1966
18. The Wind and The Lion, 1975
19. Pork Chop Hill, 1959
20. Beau Geste, 1939

They also ran a featured article of Toy Soldiers in The Movies in a later edition which mentioned King and Country, Barzo Playset and Conte.

I'm sure the above will be up for debate.....The Lt.

Posted a year ago tomorrow I'm sure those new to the forum may fine this thread interesting......The Lt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back