The worst K&C nightmare (1 Viewer)

panzeraces

I was talking with a friend today who had a fire in his house not to big but, enough to make a mess. we got talking about his toy soldier collection and what he had thought of doing had it got out of control and, he said that he would have grabbed his tigers first and foremost and then tried to grab anything else.

This horrid thought got me thinking of my own collections and what I would do in that scenario (after getting the family out) what would I grab?? Probably, my friend was right the early wooden stuff I have and my LAH bands or, for me, the best WSS set the 'tank riders' (WSS 31) but, then the haze started in my mind and I really began to worry about what I had thought about leaving behind and, so, I thought I would bounce it off you guys.

This thought will probably give me nightmares for weeks but, its not an easy one as I never really thought what my collection really meant to me until today.

Its similar to the stranded on a desert island question" What would you take" ? In a fire / DI senario ,i would choose firstly ,the kettledrum horse and rider from the LAH range,secondly WSS111,122 and 146 and between my teeth AF03.After that i would go back into the fire and save the dog ,NOT.Keep on collecting ,its too cool ,for normal people . KEN

I would grab the insurance policys!:eek: Actually, as you said first you get

the family out, then for me it would be the vehicles. It would really be

impossible for me to get anything else out.:eek:

Its silly to worry, we had a flood once (broken washer hose) ran all night.

It was a pain, but everything damaged was replaced in the end to the tune

of 35 Grand.:eek:

Something else to worry about haha:) Between my k&c collection, 1/6th hot toys and my rilfes.I wouldnt know what to rescue first, its a hard choice.

I would probably be too devastated to try and grab anything. At the end of the day they are just possessions and are replaceable.

My worst nightmare would be saving the dog and losing all my collection,can always get other dogs,that dont bite me on a regular basis ,my collection only bites me in the wallet,the pocket and the Bank,but at least i dont have to walk my collection and pick up its S_ _ T. KEN

Don't worry about what to save. You won't have time. Get the family and yourself out and count yourself lucky. Never go back into a burning house for anything except a human life. Fire, fire gases, and smoke expand so rapidly, you WILL get trapped and die. Painted metal is not worth it (even if it is the winter KC Tiger). End public service announcement. -- Al

Don't worry about what to save. You won't have time. Get the family and yourself out and count yourself lucky. Never go back into a burning house for anything except a human life. Fire, fire gases, and smoke expand so rapidly, you WILL get trapped and die. Painted metal is not worth it (even if it is the winter KC Tiger). End public service announcement. -- Al

...............................................................................................

Al, thanks for that, its always nice when someone informs others what

they know to be true. I'm sure more then a few people think you

would be ok running around for a half hour with a wet washcloth over your

nose just like in the movies.:eek:

I buy most of my stuff from Sierra Toy Soldier. They have a fairly accurate list of what I have. Most of it can be replaced. I need to get insurance. After getting Nancy and the cats I would save the 'puter and maybe the LAH Band.

My worst nightmare would be saving the dog and losing all my collection,can always get other dogs,that dont bite me on a regular basis ,my collection only bites me in the wallet,the pocket and the Bank,but at least i dont have to walk my collection and pick up its S_ _ T. KEN

Had a right laugh at this post. I see your from Newcastle so, geordie humour escapes onto treefrog

I agree with having a good insurance plan for your collection, really all you can short of more extreme protection measures, i.e. bomb proof cases, safe room. You could always have a fire blanket handy to throw over your display case as you run out of the house...

But this might be a good time to review family emergency evacuation plan, check smoke detectors for operation and proper location throughout the house, ensure emergency contact numbers are posted, ensure fire extinguishers are properly located [you may want to increase quantity], charged, and everyone knows how to operate them.

A sprinkler system is always a good thing, but not sure if single family homes in this country have those, probably not.

Mike

o would have to grab my johnny unitas football cards first followed up by my kc winter 88

I agree with having a good insurance plan for your collection, really all you can short of more extreme protection measures, i.e. bomb proof cases, safe room. You could always have a fire blanket handy to throw over your display case as you run out of the house...

But this might be a good time to review family emergency evacuation plan, check smoke detectors for operation and proper location throughout the house, ensure emergency contact numbers are posted, ensure fire extinguishers are properly located [you may want to increase quantity], charged, and everyone knows how to operate them.

A sprinkler system is always a good thing, but not sure if single family homes in this country have those, probably not.

Mike
Sprinkler systems are available in private homes, but they are not cheap. Sprinklers are the most effective way to combat fires and keep them from spreading. As to the fire extinguishers, by all means, learn to use them, but never delay dialing 911 to combat the fire yourself. Delaying the call to 911 is what results in the largest loss of life and property. Remember that fire and smoke spread FAST. They can turn daylight into midnight almost immediately resulting in disorientation and all it takes is a breath or two of superheated air or noxious smoke and you become the latest fire fatality. Just get yourself and everyyone else out anf give the FD a chance to do it's job. -- Al

Mitch ,iam a Jock ,living in Geordieland,for all my sins committed in this life and the last,would definately leave the dog ,could always eat him later as barbequed spare ribs,Lol, Ken

having faced a last minute hurricane evacuation,,standing in the collection room looking and wondering what to put into one large suit case,it going out the door probably weighing 250 lbs ,,prized figures folded in bath towels,,evrything else left and pulled from the wreckage if it was possible.Specialty insurance a must as homeowners is a joke.

Sprinkler systems are available in private homes, but they are not cheap. Sprinklers are the most effective way to combat fires and keep them from spreading. As to the fire extinguishers, by all means, learn to use them, but never delay dialing 911 to combat the fire yourself. Delaying the call to 911 is what results in the largest loss of life and property. Remember that fire and smoke spread FAST. They can turn daylight into midnight almost immediately resulting in disorientation and all it takes is a breath or two of superheated air or noxious smoke and you become the latest fire fatality. Just get yourself and everyyone else out anf give the FD a chance to do it's job. -- Al
Good enough for the Presidential Libarary...then might be good enough for our collections...again I say "might be"

http://www.ansul.com/en/Products/clean_agent_systems/inergen.asp

Mitch ,iam a Jock ,living in Geordieland,for all my sins committed in this life and the last,would definately leave the dog ,could always eat him later as barbequed spare ribs,Lol, Ken

The dog would be out before you............:D

Its close enough mate for the humour to be similar lots of good friends in Edinbrough and family on the west coast lovely place.

Smoke detectors are a life saver along with a collection saver. I was lucky one cold winter night about 10 years ago. We had a vaporizer running in the family room by two of my cases of figures & K&C, when my wife who had a cold decided to leave Sunday night to go to her room she rented about 45 miles from home because of a snowstorm coming in the morning. She was a public school teacher. I went to bed after a last minute flurry to leave the house and assumed the vaporizer was shut off( plus it had a automatic shutoff).

By luck my son stopped and was spending the night. I had only three detectors, one was downstairs. I did not hear the alarms due to hearing loss of driving trains for years. My son woke me and I looked down the hall to see flames from the vaporizer about 3 feet high in the middle of the family room. Lucky that vaporizer was not near the drapes. I got buckets of water from the tub while my son called 911. The fire was put out and did not burn through the floor.

The insurance covered all damages and paid me to clean the figures in the cases. I did not want the cleaning service to handle them. The insurance got their money back from the Holmes company which made the vaporizer. I went out and bought four good metal extinguishers, not the plastic ones and about 5 more smoke detectors. All the bedrooms have them and other locations. Last week a house by me burned down to nothing when the let the dishwasher drying while they went out. The collection was the last thing on my mind at the time. Now I make sure any thing with a heating element is turned off when we are gone. John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back