Three days in York (3 Viewers)

YorkMay2013124_zpsb036c905.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This was a war time utility type engine built purely to do the job required, no frills, not aesthetically pleasing but hugely powerful and really did the job of shifting wartime freight, painted wartime black. I'm getting one of these....00 scale of course!^&grin

YorkMay2013110_zps9209b7bc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013108_zps19365b0d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013153_zpscaea5a7e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013131_zpsc022d8e2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013171_zpsd71d4137.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013159_zpsb14ee7a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here she is, quite possibly the most famous Railway Engine of them all, ' Flying Scotsman'. Looking a bit forlorn in the workshop as they carry out maintenance work that apparently costs thousands and thousands of pounds yearly. She is normally decked out in her famous Apple green livery, but here she is in plain black. Now I'm not sure if this black is just an undercoat before the apple green is applied or she has been decked out in Wartime black that she wore during WW2.

YorkMay2013196_zpsaa7c4522.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013191_zpsfd7a74ca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013190_zps39cfab5c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I look at the train sets in a local hobby shop each time I go in. It is a good reminder that collecting toy soldiers is a really affordable hobby!

Yes indeed Jack!

Rob

On to the next Castle. This one is Conisbrough Castle in South Yorkshire , built in the 12th century it was by all accounts the inspiration for the novel 'Ivanhoe' . By the time of Henry VIII it was already badly damaged and further ruined by the English Civil War. A lovely Castle with some great views from up top.

YorkMay2013318_zpsb232f104.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013319_zpsb12ed400.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013322_zps1cc64f84.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013327_zps164a7fb0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013324_zpscebcd692.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Final visit on way home yesterday was in the county of Derbyshire. This was Bolsover Castle the lavish home of its owner William Cavendish. Actually a stately home built on the site of a Castle , this was a superb visit . We were encouraged to visit by the tv docu fronted by the wonderful historian Lucy Worsley. This place was built and added to for one reason only , to shout his wealth and power and also to impress the King. On the 16th July 1634 he hosted a huge banquet / Masque that has become legendary in its expenditure, lavishness and excess. King Charles and his wife were treated to huge amounts of food , music and a play specially written for the event by Ben Johnson. This huge house and grounds played host to the cream of the social scene and nobility. The amount of food prepared and served was of epic proportions and no expense was spared, it cost Cavendish the equivalent of ONE MILLION pounds in today's money.

All this was to try and get the position at court of Captain of the Horse (Cavendish was obsessed with Horses) but it failed and he did not get the job. On top of this this sort of over the top extravagance was by this point seen as in bad taste and Charles the first was not a party King (unlike Charles the second). Cavendish lost a lot of money and fell out of favour with the King (even though he fought for him during the civil war and then went into exile.)

The audio tour of all this told the story brilliantly and I cannot recommend this place highly enough.

YorkMay2013335_zpscfb8da2a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013334_zpsbbca84a6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013342_zps546292f7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013345_zps7ec576b6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013344_zpsa6f7ca47.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013349_zps2e0aa5fb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013348_zps240653ce.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013347_zps00ef0c37.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013351_zpsf40bed02.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013350_zps94e94e42.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Part of Cavendish's indoor Horse training school, the only surviving example of such in the country I believe..

YorkMay2013336_zps0aa9b8c9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

WoW Rob ... Great pictures and thank you for sharing them with us. :) The weather and the country side looks fantastic.

Nice to get away from the little toys soldiers and the smell of paint :salute::.

Bests
OD

WoW Rob ... Great pictures and thank you for sharing them with us. :) The weather and the country side looks fantastic.

Nice to get away from the little toys soldiers and the smell of paint :salute::.

Bests
OD

Thanks OD! We were very lucky with the weather as it stayed dry throughout our trip. Yes its good to have other hobbies as well:smile2:

So that was our trip, loved York and we are definitely going back there and also to start pushing further north as well.

Oh one final thing, don't go to York if you are on a diet, the roasts and full English brekkies are to die for!:smile2::wink2:

Cheers guys

Rob

Rob mate,
Outstanding photos of British History. You have wet my appetite for our forth coming trip to the UK. A week before the London TS Show, the GLW and I have hire a car and will be touring Wales.
Day One: Tour Goodrich, Raglan, Chepstow and Cardiff Castles.
Day Two: Tour Caerphilly, Kidwelly and Pembroke Castles.
Day Three: Tour Carew, Harlech and Caernarfon Castles.
Day Four: Tour Beaurmaris and Conway Castles.
Now who said that lads from the Penal Colonies had no interest in the Old Country.^&grin^&grin Just love my castles, second only to TS collecting, especially in Northern Wales built by Edward I.
See you soon.
Cheers Howard

Hi Rob,
thank you very much for a fantastic tour you gave us here.
Very nice pictures and it must have been a real pleasure to take all this in.
Konrad

Thanks OD! We were very lucky with the weather as it stayed dry throughout our trip. Yes its good to have other hobbies as well:smile2:

So that was our trip, loved York and we are definitely going back there and also to start pushing further north as well.

Oh one final thing, don't go to York if you are on a diet, the roasts and full English brekkies are to die for!:smile2::wink2:

Cheers guys

Rob

Not to belittle England's contribution to the world across a variety of fields, but the full English breakfast must rate very highly in the national pantheon. It is one of the joys of a holiday! I had five on consecutive days in Malta. Breakfast stopped at 12 and I arrived each day at 11.55 and ordered a breakfast for lunch.

Rob mate,
Outstanding photos of British History. You have wet my appetite for our forth coming trip to the UK. A week before the London TS Show, the GLW and I have hire a car and will be touring Wales.
Now who said that lads from the Penal Colonies had no interest in the Old Country.^&grin^&grin Just love my castles, second only to TS collecting, especially in Northern Wales built by Edward I.
See you soon.
Cheers Howard

Looks like you have an agenda there, filled up to the brim, Howard ^&grin
Don't forget to leave some time in between for a bit of food and a beer or two :wink2:
Konrad

Hi Rob,

Absolutely beautiful photos, thank you very much for sharing, I even had employees of mine checking them out on my I-phone on break today:) just hard to believe the craftmanship that was done with only the tools available, no skill saws, jack hammers, cranes etc...one of these days I will make it to the Old Country and do some exsploring of my own and after seeing these photos it makes it that much more worth seeing, thanks again for sharing...Sammy

I echo what everyone else has said. Those steam engines are incredible. Takes you back to a different time. You must have had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Just outstanding Rob. It brought back so many great memories I have from my back packing days in the UK. I forgot how beautiful your country is and how I would love to go back one day. One of my favourite tv shows is Time Team and I always try to watch it. Please post all your photo's mate as I think there great. Chris.

Rob mate,
See you soon.
Cheers Howard

Hey Howard, now that is SOME list there mate^&cool Have been lucky enough to see most of those and Raglan is my favourite. My best friend and his family used to live just outside Goodrich and so that was one we went to frequently and its a very nice Castle. Get to the top if they let you Howard and check out the beautiful view of the river Wye, its a splendid sight. Have a superb trip and looking forward to meeting you very soon mate.

Hi Rob,
thank you very much for a fantastic tour you gave us here.
Very nice pictures and it must have been a real pleasure to take all this in.
Konrad

Hi Konrad, my great pleasure and my best to you my friend.

Not to belittle England's contribution to the world across a variety of fields, but the full English breakfast must rate very highly in the national pantheon. It is one of the joys of a holiday! I had five on consecutive days in Malta. Breakfast stopped at 12 and I arrived each day at 11.55 and ordered a breakfast for lunch.

Better late than never Jack!:salute::

Hi Rob,

Absolutely beautiful photos, thank you very much for sharing, I even had employees of mine checking them out on my I-phone on break today:) just hard to believe the craftmanship that was done with only the tools available, no skill saws, jack hammers, cranes etc...one of these days I will make it to the Old Country and do some exsploring of my own and after seeing these photos it makes it that much more worth seeing, thanks again for sharing...Sammy

Thanks very much Sammy, it was a pleasure to share them and I'm glad you liked them mate (and your employees!):smile2:

I echo what everyone else has said. Those steam engines are incredible. Takes you back to a different time. You must have had a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks Brad, we did have a wonderful time, it took us many years to get round to heading north but now we will be going back and pushing on further too.

More wonderful snaps Rob, I love my model trains too !!! Woooooo Wooooooooo All aboard :p

:salute::

Cheers guys, thank you all for your kind comments

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back