Three days in York (2 Viewers)

BRILLIANT Rob cheers mate just got home from a shite day at work cracked a coldie and spent a half hour in York.
Great pics thanks again matey.

Great pictures Rob. I believe they are going to start up displays of high school riding again at the Marquis of Newcastle's place. Next time stay on the road north and come to Northumberland.:)

Martin

BRILLIANT Rob cheers mate just got home from a shite day at work cracked a coldie and spent a half hour in York.
Great pics thanks again matey.

My pleasure Wayne, glad you enjoyed them. Hope tomorrow is a much better day for you mate.:smile2:

Great pictures Rob. I believe they are going to start up displays of high school riding again at the Marquis of Newcastle's place. Next time stay on the road north and come to Northumberland.:)

Martin

Hey Martin, you bet , we are defo coming to Northumberland!^&cool

Cheers guys

Rob

Just outstanding Rob. It brought back so many great memories I have from my back packing days in the UK. I forgot how beautiful your country is and how I would love to go back one day. One of my favourite tv shows is Time Team and I always try to watch it. Please post all your photo's mate as I think there great. Chris.

Hey Chris, you are quite correct , I think even WE sometimes forget how beautiful this country is until you get out there and take a look. Hope you can make it back here soon.

Am off out for day but will look at maybe posting more pics later....I just don't want to bore you all!{sm2}

Cheers mate

Rob

Rob

When you see this, you know you're there.

Martin

Attachments

• Wal.jpg
    Wal.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 76
Thanks Rob for bringing me along on your trip with your photos and sharing them. Don't be surprised if you see a few of them as background photos i some of my future photo dioramas an hope you don't mind my using them.....Joe:salute:::salute:::salute::

Apart from my interests in all things WW1,WW2, art deco travel art, Italy's national food and sharing a few drinks with my good friends and fellow collectors in London....I have another hobby that my wife and I have shared for more than twenty years.

This is discovering British Castles/stately homes and other historical sites from across this great country of ours. For years we have visited dozens and dozens of them famous and obscure from mainly the southern half of the country, from London, to Gloucester, from Cornwall to Wales . But up until this last weekend we'd not ventured north. However we put this right with a really enjoyable trip to the great city of York. For those who have not been there York is packed with history and things to see and do. It also has in its outer environs many Castles and stately homes that are in the great tradition of this country, world class.

In three days we took three hundred pics! But don't worry I'll only post 299 here:wink2:

Here is the lovely Rievaux Abbey. Its set in beautiful and peaceful countryside to the North of York. Was a thriving and hugely successful community for hundreds of years with its inhabitants farming and making the most of the host of nature's bounty available right on the doorstep. That was of course until Henry VIII needed the cash of course and it was closed. The inhabitants were forced to give it to the King and were paid off. Contractors were brought in to partially demolish this wonderful building, a huge shame as it must have been magnificent . During this partial demolition one of the huge supporting columns fell on to one of the foreman overseeing the work crushing him beneath. The workers thinking it was an act of God fled the seen and never returned, leaving their fellow workers body to be eventually found hundreds of years later.

YorkMay2013004_zps6667d258.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013005_zpsfc39e8ff.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013006_zps01c384b8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013007_zps53471580.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013010_zpsc08ebc14.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

YorkMay2013011_zpsc0b5b7fc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
They are the best photos of the Abbey I have ever seen...I have an immense interests in ruin Abbey's and steam engines and Art Deco,,,,(aircraft too)....many years ago I did an Icing sugar model of Rievaux Abbey at the yearly Le Salon Culimnaire in Perth....I was fortunate enough to win a Gold Medal and a cook Book....I would have loved to have had your photos then.....can you post some art Deco some time....I have lost some really good photos I had...thrown out by mistake,,,,,,,,regards TomB

They are the best photos of the Abbey I have ever seen...I have an immense interests in ruin Abbey's and steam engines and Art Deco,,,,(aircraft too)....many years ago I did an Icing sugar model of Rievaux Abbey at the yearly Le Salon Culimnaire in Perth....I was fortunate enough to win a Gold Medal and a cook Book....I would have loved to have had your photos then.....can you post some art Deco some time....I have lost some really good photos I had...thrown out by mistake,,,,,,,,regards TomB

Thanks Tom that's kind of you mate. I would have loved to have seen your Rievaux Abbey in Icing Sugar!{eek3}

If you like like all things Art Deco stay tuned as myself and my wife are off to a famous art deco building in the next couple of weeks and will post some pics on this thread when we do.

Cheers

Rob

Rob mate,
Outstanding photos of British History. You have wet my appetite for our forth coming trip to the UK. A week before the London TS Show, the GLW and I have hire a car and will be touring Wales.
Day One: Tour Goodrich, Raglan, Chepstow and Cardiff Castles.
Day Two: Tour Caerphilly, Kidwelly and Pembroke Castles.
Day Three: Tour Carew, Harlech and Caernarfon Castles.
Day Four: Tour Beaurmaris and Conway Castles.
Now who said that lads from the Penal Colonies had no interest in the Old Country.^&grin^&grin Just love my castles, second only to TS collecting, especially in Northern Wales built by Edward I.
See you soon.
Cheers Howard

When I was living in Wales I was visiting all these Castles mentioned. This will be a great tour for you. I was living opposit of Pembroke Castle and in summer went there almost every day to read the newspaper while sitting on ancient walls.

Depressing when you see all these magnificent remains. Why do humans always have to destroy such fantastic monuments?

@Rob, great pictures. Never been to York. Thanks to these pictures York is now on my "must-visit" list.

Cheers
Oliver

When I was living in Wales I was visiting all these Castles mentioned. This will be a great tour for you. I was living opposit of Pembroke Castle and in summer went there almost every day to read the newspaper while sitting on ancient walls.

Depressing when you see all these magnificent remains. Why do humans always have to destroy such fantastic monuments?

@Rob, great pictures. Never been to York. Thanks to these pictures York is now on my "must-visit" list.

Cheers
Oliver

Oliver,

Glad you like them, believe me you won't regret going to York, so much to see!

Cheers

Rob

Thanks Tom that's kind of you mate. I would have loved to have seen your Rievaux Abbey in Icing Sugar!{eek3}

If you like like all things Art Deco stay tuned as myself and my wife are off to a famous art deco building in the next couple of weeks and will post some pics on this thread when we do.

Cheers

Rob
Great....looking forward to the photos.....have seen quiet a bit of the old Art Dec building's in the TV series ...Periot..wrong spelling but you would know who it is..I .remember when I was a kid...several of the old picture theature's in Sydney were built in the Art Deco style...Fantastic ........cheers TomB

What a great thread Rob! I love visiting England and the North just might be my favorite area of all. I am also a castle enthusiast and every time we visit the UK, we have to take in several castles/cathedrals/abbeys/manor houses. We sign up for the English Heritage and National Trust passes, rent a car and off we go.:)

Here are a few photos (literal photos in an albulm as these were taken many years ago before digital carmeras {eek3} so the quality is not all that good) from some of our visits in the North of England. Rievaulx Abbey is one of my all time favorites and we've had a couple of visits there. Another of the photos is in the town of Bamburgh with the castle in the background. The last photo is of Warkworth Castle.

Attachments

• IMG.jpg
    IMG.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0006.jpg
    IMG_0006.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0007.jpg
    IMG_0007.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0008.jpg
    IMG_0008.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 99
What a great thread Rob! I love visiting England and the North just might be my favorite area of all. I am also a castle enthusiast and every time we visit the UK, we have to take in several castles/cathedrals/abbeys/manor houses. We sign up for the English Heritage and National Trust passes, rent a car and off we go.:)

Here are a few photos (literal photos in an albulm as these were taken many years ago before digital carmeras {eek3} so the quality is not all that good) from some of our visits in the North of England. Rievaulx Abbey is one of my all time favorites and we've had a couple of visits there. Another of the photos is in the town of Bamburgh with the castle in the background. The last photo is of Warkworth Castle.

Hi Duke,

Thanks mate and thanks a lot for posting your pics, they are great to see. Its a very enjoyable pastime visiting these sites isn't it and you are spot on re English Heritage. Our current membership cost (if memory serves) £84 a year. In the last five or six weeks alone we've had visits totalling £92 so it really is worth it. I've not been to Warkworth yet and it looks a terrific Castle so that is on our list now!^&cool

Thanks again mate

Best

Rob

I hope you enjoyed your visit to our county.:) Looks like you mostly avoided the rain!:)

Martin

I hope you enjoyed your visit to our county.:) Looks like you mostly avoided the rain!:)

Martin

I've always enjoyed our trips to England and the countryside is truly spectacular. The North of England is one of my favorite places. I've been up your way twice, but it was several years ago now. I hope to get back there one day soon. We've been somewhat lucky on the rain on our trips. Of course as I'm sure you know being from Northumberland, even if it looks like no rain, in England rain can pop up almost any time. :)

Last edited:
I've always enjoyed our trips to England and the countryside is truly spectacular. The North of England is one of my favorite places. I've been up your way twice, but it was several years ago now. I hope to get back there one day soon. We've been somewhat lucky on the rain on our trips. Of course as I'm sure you know being from Northumberland, even if it looks like no rain, in England rain can pop up almost any time. :)

Hadrian's wall in particular looks best in the rain!
I never complain about it, if it wasn't for the rain it wouldn't be so green.

Martin

Hadrian's wall in particular looks best in the rain!
I never complain about it, if it wasn't for the rain it wouldn't be so green.

Martin

Very true. It's a good thing it rains so frequently there as to keep everything so lush and green.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back