Timber framed village (1 Viewer)

attic_david

Private 2
This is a start of a new thread to cover the building of a 1/30th scale village full of timber framed buildings. The project should will take some time as I will make one building at a time for my customer before we decide on the next one.
The first is a three story house with the ground floor being stone.
The photograph shows it nearly finished. I have to add details to the doors, paint the roof and generally weather it and that will be it.
The stone work is carved Daz Pronto clay (I roll it out glue the sheets in place and once dry carve the stone pattern in to it) it takes ages but is worth it.

image.jpeg

Appreciate the photos and explaining how it is done, really like this thread. Chris

great job David...

your brick work looks nice...

I especially love the shingles...

looks quite labor intensive...

This would fit into a number of series I collect David, will follow with interest. Robin,

Lovely structure with tons of detail, i'll keep an eye on this thread for sure.

Tom

The building is based on this drawing of the George Inn in Somerset in the UK. I don't know if it is still standing but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.
image.jpeg

The tiling is very labour intensive. I do use sheets of resin tile but this roof was bigger than the sheets so I had to do it by hand. I don't think you can beat the look. I have tried putting strips of tile on but it looks too regular. I think this roof took me about 3 to 4 hours to tile.
They will be clay tiles rather than shingles- I still need to add the orange highlight to them.
Hopefully a photo of the finished house over the weekend...I hope.

The building is based on this drawing of the George Inn in Somerset in the UK. I don't know if it is still standing but I wouldn't be surprised if it is.

The tiling is very labour intensive. I do use sheets of resin tile but this roof was bigger than the sheets so I had to do it by hand. I don't think you can beat the look. I have tried putting strips of tile on but it looks too regular. I think this roof took me about 3 to 4 hours to tile.
They will be clay tiles rather than shingles- I still need to add the orange highlight to them.

You did a great job on the roof in "3 to 4 hours to tile".

Love the 'Half-timber' and 'Daub' work, looks excellent.

Thank you for posting.

I have been working on the house this weekend and I have finished it. I just had to weather it a little to make it look 'used'. I use my airbrush and spray diluted brown ink on it to add shade, stains and contrast and it also blends all the other colours together. Once that it dry I give it a quick dry brush of a buff colour just to soften everything a bit.
Here is the finished result-
image.jpeg

Wow, that is incredible. I just got an airbrush and trying to decide what project to use it on first. That building is just outstanding and then to know it is based on an actual structure makes even more special. Chris

Yes you can send this my way. A supberb building for my ECW series, or War of the Roses, even Robin Hood. Really useful structure. Robin.

Recent picture
George_Inn_Norton_St_Philip_Geograph-3743829-by-Humphrey-Bolton.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_George_Inn,_Norton_St_Philip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back