Treefrog Treasures and Conte (2 Viewers)

Yes to the figures and production but honestly I don't mind the spin. Now that I have become more informed I just add one year to infinity to the estimated delivery date and then I am not disappointed.;):)

And after that one year to infinity has passed................................what do you do then Bill just add another?

Hi guys,
In answer to your questions I have my reasons as to why Treefrog Treasures doesn't carry Conte products. Suffice to say it's simply a business decision on my part and it isn't something I'd feel comfortable with discussing on a public forum. I'd much rather talk about the companies I DO carry rather than why I don't carry others.
Cheers,

And after that one year to infinity has passed................................what do you do then Bill just add another?
Oh well if I pass infinity I guess I will just have to fall into a singularity.;):D

I know conte doesn't have the best customer service, but it seems like everyone gives him a hard time. He makes great quality miniatures, whats peoples problem with him.:confused:

I have quite a few Conte Romans(metal) and started the Spartan line but it just became to difficult to find the sets I needed, usually multiples. No problem with RC, it's his company and he needs to run it the way he wants. I only wish the sets didn't sell out so fast then take so long to get back in stock. Not sure why this is but again it's his show. I know if the sets were more readily available he would have a lot more of my coin. :);)

I too am a big COnte products fan. I have all and I mean all of his Alamo series from his Platic sets to all of his resin and metal sets. They are awesome. But, for some time now he has promised to finish the Alamo and add calvary and other stuff and the promise has not been fulfilled. It is frustrating but there is no alternative. We wait because when his stuff does come out, it is awesome. So here I wait. And wait. Not much more to be said.:(

I know conte doesn't have the best customer service, but it seems like everyone gives him a hard time. He makes great quality miniatures, whats peoples problem with him.:confused:

I think "What's-Peoples-Problem-With-Him" is that "Conte-Doesn't-Have-The-Best-Customer-Service".

Clear?
Good.
Next post please.

H

I think "What's-Peoples-Problem-With-Him" is that "Conte-Doesn't-Have-The-Best-Customer-Service".

Well summarized Harry.:D

I actually was contemplating trying for the first time to get conte items (the viking raid figures) but after reading these posts, would rather get other manufacturers instead.

thank you all for these informative posts.:)

sincerely,

nasir kasmani.

Well summarized Harry.:D

I actually was contemplating trying for the first time to get conte items (the viking raid figures) but after reading these posts, would rather get other manufacturers instead.
Frankly mate I wouldn't let what has been said here stop you. You just have to evaluate each potential set of purchases under the assumption that if it is popular, you are somewhat likely to have a narrow purchase window. I am not sure that is true for the viking figures, they seem to be in stock.

Also, for the record, I have had NO PROBLEM whatsoever with Conte customer service; it is solely the limited production and re-stocking delays that have been my frustration. However, to me, no one does the figures in the periods of interest better so I will wait and keep my eyes on Ebay for the holes as needs be. Of course, he is helping my cause by filling in with some great new plastics that are more detailed (not to mention adjustable:eek:) than most metal lines.;):)

Frankly mate I wouldn't let what has been said here stop you. You just have to evaluate each potential set of purchases under the assumption that if it is popular, you are somewhat likely to have a narrow purchase window. I am not sure that is true for the viking figures, they seem to be in stock.

Also, for the record, I have had NO PROBLEM whatsoever with Conte customer service; it is solely the limited production and re-stocking delays that have been my frustration. However, to me, no one does the figures in the periods of interest better so I will wait and keep my eyes on Ebay for the holes as needs be. Of course, he is helping my cause by filling in with some great new plastics that are more detailed (not to mention adjustable:eek:) than most metal lines.;):)

hi mate,

thanks for your advice.

i am one of those guys who are rather impatient to finish a diorama before moving on to another, and felt that with fellow posters grievances with Conte's releases, it'll be wiser for me to skip it altogether.

i can imagine myself crazy with frustration and periodically pester Conte, just like i did with Rick Wang (Figarti), Ana Donzino (Honour Bound) and the usual victim, Treefrog. :eek:

Luckily for me all mentioned above has been very polite and understanding (so far at least) ;)

thanks again mate.

sincerely,

nasir kasmani,
from despotic island of singapore.

Nasir,
You won't be disappointed if you get the Viking Raid sets.I had about 6 of the sets and they were all excellent but I traded them for Jenkins sets.
Mark

I woul like to add that a new shipment of the Viking stuff has made it in. According to those who know the plastic Spartans are really close as well. The telltale signs are showing up.

Bob, not having met RC I do not know if I will do that or not. I would like to meet him. Maybe at Chicago.

I woul like to add that a new shipment of the Viking stuff has made it in. According to those who know the plastic Spartans are really close as well. The telltale signs are showing up.Bob, not having met RC I do not know if I will do that or not. I would like to meet him. Maybe at Chicago.
Vamp
I know very little about plastics apart from the line in the film "The Graduate"- "Ben, I have one word to say to you- Plastic!".
That line didn't do too much for me then and definitely doesn't do too much for me now-plastic military soldier figures don't do it for me either. Not being a plastic collector nor ever will be I don't understand your comment above but have deciphered it as perhaps uncomplimentary or maybe it's just delivery information, which in itself will be an exceptional event coming from Conte?

Whatever! but it prompted me to chew the cud a bit with my old dark undead pal about plastic figures per se.
I understand an appreciate (I really do:)) the benefits of why some collectors put together a plastic army
-price for a collector on a meagre or tight budget
-easy to cut and re-sculpt (assume RC's new Spartans have been manufactured this way deliberately to help collectors get those unique poses without having to hack the lumps of plastic)
-collectors can build up a significant amount of troops quite swiftly and cheaply.
-childhood memories of playing in the dirt.
-and I believe what you guys have posted here on the forum that Conte's plastics are the very best on the market.

However, as far as I'm concerned all the above are insignificant when equated with the downside of plastics
-even with a professional paint finish you can still easily identify the base material-that wafer-thin smooth base stand always gives it away in most cases.
-the lack of any weight-I've seen over exuberant kids knock against a collectors dio at a TS show and scatter his plastic troops like a bowling pin strike.
-a lot of plastics I've seen seem to have convex/concave bases making it devishly difficult to get them to stand properly.
-re-sale value for a whole collection-peanuts or less! I've seen an army of hundreds of plastics go for less than 60 bucks on e-bay.
But by far the worst thing about practically all plastic soldiers that I have seen especially in the new softer material is those bloody droopy- bendy Springfields/Spears/Swords/Pennants/Flags or whatever the figure is carrying in his mitt. I have seen a preponderance amount of this at shows, even in catalogues & magazines and on members dios posted here (yours included) so I am assuming these crooked rifles that look like bows etc cannot be straightened successfully. That alone would drive me absolutely crazy when building and displaying a dio in plastic and therefore makes it metals only for me.

Am quite prepared to be slaughtered in print for the above comments by you and any other plastic collectors :D and after all it's just my view but also my incredulity of why (cost apart unless of course that's the sole reason) a particular collector still prefers plastics :confused::confused:

Reb

Last edited:
Vamp
I know very little about plastics apart from the line in the film "The Graduate"- "Ben, I have one word to say to you- Plastic!".
That line didn't do too much for me then and definitely doesn't do too much for me now-plastic military soldier figures don't do it for me either. Not being a plastic collector nor ever will be I don't understand your comment above but have deciphered it as perhaps uncomplimentary or maybe it's just delivery information, which in itself will be an exceptional event coming from Conte?

Whatever! but it prompted me to chew the cud a bit with my old dark undead pal about plastic figures per se.
I understand an appreciate (I really do:)) the benefits of why some collectors put together a plastic army
-price for a collector on a meagre or tight budget
-easy to cut and re-sculpt (assume RC's new Spartans have been manufactured this way deliberately to help collectors get those unique poses without having to hack the lumps of plastic)
-collectors can build up a significant amount of troops quite swiftly and cheaply.
-childhood memories of playing in the dirt.
-and I believe what you guys have posted here on the forum that Conte's plastics are the very best on the market.

However, as far as I'm concerned all the above are insignificant when equated with the downside of plastics
-even with a professional paint finish you can still easily identify the base material-that wafer-thin smooth base stand always gives it away in most cases.
-the lack of any weight-I've seen over exuberant kids knock against a collectors dio at a TS show and scatter his plastic troops like a bowling pin strike.
-a lot of plastics I've seen seem to have convex/concave bases making it devishly difficult to get them to stand properly.
-re-sale value for a whole collection-peanuts or less! I've seen an army of hundreds of plastics go for less than 60 bucks on e-bay.
But by far the worst thing about practically all plastic soldiers that I have seen especially in the new softer material is those bloody droopy- bendy Springfields/Spears/Swords/Pennants/Flags or whatever the figure is carrying in his mitt. I have seen a preponderance amount of this at shows, even in catalogues & magazines and on members dios posted here (yours included) so I am assuming these crooked rifles that look like bows etc cannot be straightened successfully. That alone would drive me absolutely crazy when building and displaying a dio in plastic and therefore makes it metals only for me.

Am quite prepared to be slaughtered in print for the above comments by you and any other plastic collectors :D and after all it's just my view but also my incredulity of why (cost apart unless of course that's the sole reason) a particular collector still prefers plastics :confused::confused:

Reb

Having read this I'm quite glad I keep my metal snob views to my self! :eek::D

Jeff

It really boils down to this - I LIKE plastic toy soldiers.. no other justification need to be given.. but...

Speaking of boiling - dipping a droopy rifle, sword, pike, etc. will straighten right out - immediately dropping the figure into cold water will "set" the straightened plastic....

Jim

Vamp
I know very little about plastics apart from the line in the film "The Graduate"- ...
-...-that wafer-thin smooth base stand always gives it away in most cases.
-the lack of any weight-....
-re-sale value for a whole collection-....
...those bloody droopy- bendy Springfields/Spears/Swords/Pennants/Flags or whatever the figure is carrying in his mitt...

Reb
Whoa Bob, that was quite a rant mate.;):D Frankly I prefer metal as well (in most cases) but I offer this simple response to your stated objections. It works for me.:cool:
Spartan3.jpg

UKreb, having read your piece, it seems collecting plastic equates to having some sort of dreaded disease!
For the record I collect both plastic and metal.
I actually go from likeing plastic one day and metal the next.
Now let me throw this in the mix, I also collect the 1-18th poseable figures, I wonder where on the undesireable list that puts me!
I am posting the above "tongue & cheek".
I will say this, there are areas of collecting that I don,t understand, but I do refrain from posting negative comments as in a way it does tend to offend said collector.
No one wants to hear that there enjoyment is considered by others as, for a lack of a better word "dumb".
Loves & kisses, Gary

It really boils down to this - I LIKE plastic toy soldiers.. no other justification need to be given.. but...

Speaking of boiling - dipping a droopy rifle, sword, pike, etc. will straighten right out - immediately dropping the figure into cold water will "set" the straightened plastic....

Jim

Hi Jim,

How are you doing? I wonder who found those plastic Robin Hood and Sheriffs Men figures at Battle Abbey?

Jeff

Hi Jim,

How are you doing? I wonder who found those plastic Robin Hood and Sheriffs Men figures at Battle Abby?

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I'm doing well, Jeff - and you?! I've also wondered whatever became of our stalwart plastic friends! Here's how we last saw the Norman, in this photo taken at Battle Abbey.

Jim

Attachments

• Norman_at_BattleAbbey.jpg
    Norman_at_BattleAbbey.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 110
I remember asking this question many years before and Gary told me he really enjoys plastic. Now, frankly I don't still understand it but I know it has a lot of aficionados and this is a pretty big hobby so live and let live is my motto here.

Hi Jeff,

I'm doing well, Jeff - and you?! I've also wondered whatever became of our stalwart plastic friends! Here's how we last saw the Norman, in this photo taken at Battle Abbey.

Jim

Jim, Yes, I'm fine thank you. I can't remember, but do you paint your plastic figures?

Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back