Trophy Collectors-How old and how long? (1 Viewer)

I think your HMS Lion looks better than mine.
Also, nice job getting all 6 boats.
And the Alamo. And La Haye Sainte.
And, well:
Wow.

Side-story, Lynn Kenwood offered to have Len Taylor make us a one-of-two Mississippi River Steamer (Mark Twain Style - and with character figures of Dad & I & anyone else we wanted) - (another collector must have been considering doing the same) for 2250.00 UK Sterling (in 2001 or 2), as we recall.
Some temptations should be indulged in...
Paddy for Pat & Pat
Great story! Hang on to your HMS Lion, Len only made 18. tommy

I have been missing from the threads for a while during mild illness, I am 75.
Had the pleasure to meet Len Taylor just after he started his company, my wife and I visited Wales and Len very graciously allowed my wife to have a try at casting some figures.
I guess these must be unique (LOL) figures.
Len attended my first British Toy Soldier and Figure show London in 1991 and subsequently accompanied Lynn Kenwood who had 9 tables each year at the show. My visit to Wales also included meeting Mike John, a designer with Len in those days. He presented me with a model of a Coal Miner, common to my area of the UK as well as a part of Welsh heritage.
Trophy later issued a coal miner, but in a completely different pose.
Len also made some specials, Confederate and Union flag bearers, painted especially for the Forbes Toy Soldier auction in NY in 1997.
I was working as consultant at the time for Christies/ Forbes. Christies kindly commissioned a special painted figure of each with my name on one side of the flag and Forbes/ Christies auction on the other.
Alas I no longer have the Confederate example which went missing during my move to America in the nineties. The Union guy has a special place in one of my collection cabinets.

My Trophy Christmas collection although fairly complete, still needs a horse for the Hansom cab.

I could go on about my meetings with Len, however the above should suffice for now.
Always happy to talk Trophy or on any other toy soldier subjects.
Apologies to Brad, lost touch with you, see above
Norman
info@normanjoplin.com

Norman,

Nice to hear from you and hope you have fully recovered from your illness.

Wishing you a happy and healthy new year!

Regards,

Louis

And, well:
Wow.

Side-story, Lynn Kenwood offered to have Len Taylor make us a one-of-two Mississippi River Steamer (Mark Twain Style - and with character figures of Dad & I & anyone else we wanted) - (another collector must have been considering doing the same) for 2250.00 UK Sterling (in 2001 or 2), as we recall.
Paddy for Pat & Pat[/QUOTE

That would have been an amazing set.

And, well:
Wow.

Paddy for Pat & Pat[/QUOTE

That would have been an amazing set.

At the time, Dad pointed out that a proper Riverboat would be larger than Trophy's could be. Also it seemed expensive at the time, and we were newer collectors.
Side-note: Len offered to have Dad & me as figs on the craft. Awesome. Sorry, forgot that cool part of the story.
Anyway, we seriously considered the Leopard & the Eagle & the Nile Gunboat. They were just under $2000 US at the time. And even the Dhow. So we missed lots of Trophy boats. We only have the HMS Lion & the smaller Nile Steamer.
Still, Awesome.
Best Trophy Wishes!
Paddy

Lyn Kenwood was a gentleman.

He was very Dickensian in terms of his inventory.

You would mention to him something like " I am really looking for this set"

He would reply oh I think I have one of those in the store room. True to his word there was this long sought for set mint in the box.

That is how I got my boats.

I can echo everything Damian has said. I had the privilege to visit Lyn twice a month at his home and he let me loose in his warehouse, I never failed to find something that I would add to my collection:salute::

I managed to find nearly all of the Trophy Indian Mutiny series, many of the Crimean War series, sets of AZW that were missing from my Trophy collection including 3 gun teams and the later H2H sets along with Kings Dragoon Guards, a large chunk of ACW sets. One of my big finds was a NWF set Dr. Watson at Maiwand which was displayed on a shelf, out of it's box. I asked Lyn if I could have the set and he said yes and immediately found the original box.

Over 80% of my Trophy Anglo Boer War collection is from a commission Lyn had placed with Len and had originally been displayed at the Guards Toy Soldier Museum

Stay safe

Martyn
:)

At the time, Dad pointed out that a proper Riverboat would be larger than Trophy's could be. Also it seemed expensive at the time, and we were newer collectors.
Side-note: Len offered to have Dad & me as figs on the craft. Awesome. Sorry, forgot that cool part of the story.
Anyway, we seriously considered the Leopard & the Eagle & the Nile Gunboat. They were just under $2000 US at the time. And even the Dhow. So we missed lots of Trophy boats. We only have the HMS Lion & the smaller Nile Steamer.
Still, Awesome.
Best Trophy Wishes!
Paddy

In case you noticed...
I know I'm getting old when I repeat the same story twice in a day. Lady & The Tramp fans may remember Trusty. He liked to mention "Old Reliable". Sorry:redface2:

So the 2nd story was how Mike Leading of Trophy of Texas told us that Len Taylor would make us & others Boer War & Sudan sets if we & 1 or 2 other people ordered a set. We should have dragged a few more sets out of him!
And he was always ready to add a few figs that you wanted to any set you bought from him.

Anyway, he was the kindest of gentlemen and is still Remembered,
Kindest Regards to my fellow Trophy collectors,
Paddy

In case you noticed...
I know I'm getting old when I repeat the same story twice in a day. Lady & The Tramp fans may remember Trusty. He liked to mention "Old Reliable". Sorry:redface2:

So the 2nd story was how Mike Leading of Trophy of Texas told us that Len Taylor would make us & others Boer War & Sudan sets if we & 1 or 2 other people ordered a set. We should have dragged a few more sets out of him!
And he was always ready to add a few figs that you wanted to any set you bought from him.

Anyway, he was the kindest of gentlemen and is still Remembered,
Kindest Regards to my fellow Trophy collectors,
Paddy

Don't you wish you could get into a time machine and set it for early 2002 and place an. order for that
I know I do
It would have been a really great set
Oh well
Cannot be helped

Hi All,

Fascinating thread:

Anyone got photos of these wonderful items for all of us born to late to get an opportunity to purchase?!

Thanks in anticipation.

Smendy

Hi All,

Fascinating thread:

Anyone got photos of these wonderful items for all of us born to late to get an opportunity to purchase?!

Thanks in anticipation.

Smendy

If you look in the various posters photo albums you will see them

I am sure we can all try and post here as well

I finally unpacked all my sets, and I have a lot more trophy sets than i thought. AMERICAN REV-183 FIGURES, NAP IN EGYPT-38, NAP FRENCH-786, NAP BRITS AND ALLIES-696, ALAMO-60, CRIMEA-49, INDIAN MUTINY-131, CIVIL WAR-163, ZULU-352, AFGHAN WAR-115, SUDAN-170, BOXERS-202, WWI-170 AND 22 MISC. ALSO HAVE LA HAE SAINTE AND THE ZULU BUILDINGS BUT NO BOATS.LOOKING FOR WA71G RED LANCER OF HAMBURG TRUMPET MAJOR WITH YELLOW JACKET FALLING OFF HORSE. MY NEXT STEP WILL BE TO DISPLAY THEM ALL.BOY I LIKE TROPHY

How about posting some photos of your WWI figures on the Trophy WWI thread?:salute::

how about posting some photos of your wwi figures on the trophy wwi thread?:salute::
i have been unsuccessful at posting photos but matt said i cpuld send them to facebook and then send them to the forum. I just have not tried it yet

I gave up and sold my Trophy collection in 2018 but have kept one set which was re-made for me after the moulds were destroyed some years before I began collecting. Zulu Picket Line.

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

Back