Upcoming Releases: Bren Gun Carrier (1 Viewer)

jazzeum

Four Star General
King and Country has released photo of some of the British and Canadian releases from later this summer and the Bren Gun Carrier looks pretty darn neat. Sorry for the small scan but that's the best I could do.

Attachments

• bren gun.jpg
    bren gun.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Where did you find the pictures, I can,t.
Am I right with the below list of upcoming releases?
Russians, June
Paratroops with 2 sets of rangers, June
Mounted Napolianics, July
Berlin Bldgs, July
German BOB, Sept.
Can you add are correct the above?
Gary

Check out Sierra Toy Soldier for better pics.
Looks cool !!!

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 20
Yes, I got the pic from Sierra. However, I deliberately did not mention a competitive dealer as I did not want to offend our hosts, Shannon and Peter, who have done us a great service by starting this board.

Attachments

• DSC00101.jpg
    DSC00101.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 6
Hey Brad, nice pick up on the photogaphs of the new releases. I checked out the website, and I was impressed by the new Bren Gun Carrier, as well as the POW set with the Brit on the Triumph motorcyle. This is why I collect King & Country, the constant improvement on a familiar theme. This polystone Bren Gun Carrier is a clear improvement on the earlier polystone Bren Gun Carrier from the second Arnhem release, and is very comparable to the wood and resin Bren Gun Carriers K&C made with the original Arnhem release. Also, the Triumph cycle is a clear improvement on the earlier british motorcycle with the RAF dispatch rider released in 1995 as an accessory for the original wood warbirds. Wouldn't you love to see some more polystone warbirds with pilots, air crew, ground crew, fuel trucks, ambulances and diorama materials (hangers, control towers, quonset huts) like Andy used to make for the wood warbirds? With Andy's permission, Andy's brother Gordon is custom making me a wood and papier mache RAF control tower for my collection of the original wood warbirds. When I get it, I will set up a diorama with two different Spitfires, a Hawker Hurricane, a Douglas A20 Boston, Bristol beaufighter, the Quonset Hut, RAF Ambulace, RAF Bedford Fuel Bowser, a couple of sets of RAF ground crew, dispatch riders and RAF MP's, Churchill and the Few (4 RAF pilots), a couple of U.S. pilots (Flying Tigers and Marines) and, my newest addition, the CAPTAIN CLARK GABLE figure (yes, I finally got it!!). I'll e-mail the photo to one of you more technical folks, and you can post it on the forum for me.

One of the reasons I'm excited about the Bren Gun Carrier is that I haven't the opportunity to purchase any of the others because of the cost and even before Louis' post about the improvements, I'd assumed that this had to be an improvement of prior releases.

I, for one, would love to see more warbirds (since I have zilch, nada, nicht, none), even of the polystone variety, with all the accessories that Louis mentions.

I would also like to see some English soldiers for the European theater (not just commandos) although I'll be quite happy with the two Canadian soldiers that are in the Bren Carrier.

My son, who's more knowledgeable about weapons than I am, said that the Bren Carriers were or had the capability of being used for anti aircraft. Is that true?

I don't know for sure if they were used for Anti-aircraft, but they were versitile (if not particularly effective because of their open tops) little vehicles. I have seen films of them with flamethrowers mounted where the Bren Gun would ordinarily go.

As an aside, I once bought one of the original wood/resin Bren Gun Carriers on ebay several years ago from a gentleman named Roger on behalf of an elderly veteran named "Ron Davies" (it was on his 80th Birthday Cake). Ron was a Bren Gun Carrier driver who came ashore on D-Day plus 6 with Princess Louisa's Kensingtons of the 49th Canadian Division, the unit which bore the brunt of Rommel's counterattack attempting to split the British Front in Normandy. He primarily transported Vicker's machine gun teams. On one occasion he made a wrong turn, wound up bumping into a Tiger tank, and needless to say beat a hasty retreat. On another occasion in Holland, he nearly rolled off the top of a dike. He was one of the everyday heroes to whom we owe our freedom and I thought I would just mention him while discussing a Canadian Bren Gun Carrier. Ron or Roger, if you view this forum, just know you are appreciated, and will not be forgotten. If you do get in touch with me, I just want you to know that I would be honored to present you with one of the Canadian Bren Gun Carriers soon to be released.

Those are the kinds of everyday stories that is what history is all about; not the overall grand scheme but each person doing their individual job, leading up to a collective grand result. Fascinating.

We owe our lives to men like this. I, for one, would, in all likelihood, not be here today if not for them and I would love to contribute to getting something like a carrier for men like Ron or Roger.

If you want to see the full images (along with the descriptions) for these figures, check out the new ad that K&C will be featuring soon in Toy Soldier Magazine. We have the latest ads (and will include product flyers too) at http://www.treefrogtreasures.com/kcad/ . It can be accessed from the 'View King & Country Ads & Flyers' link at the bottom of our main page.

Attachments

• 12203.jpg
    12203.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 55
Andy Responds

We just heard from Andy Neilson:

"Re some new points on the K&C Forum:
1) DD59 Bren Gun Carrier --- Please note guys this particular model belongs to the British 3rd Infantry Division. The Canadian "Staghound" we're releasing at the same time is DD60 and in the markings of the 12th Manitoba Dragoons.
2) British Infantry --- to those of you worried that we were only producing Commando infantry we are also releasing DD64 "Tommy Patrol" --- a four-man section comprising a sergeant with Sten gun...a Bren gunner plus two riflemen --- all walking. The men are all from the 2nd Battalion The East Yorkshire Regiment of the British 3rd Infantry Division (again)."

It's great to have Andy on board!

I just looked at the ad and thank you very, very, very, very, very much Andy. This is just bloody awesome. I will be getting everything as soon as it possibly comes out. Put that together with the other Commandos and the Churchill and you've got one hell of a range. I love the British stuff. Please do more Andy.

If you think I'm a little nuts about the British, it's because I lived in Trinidad when I was a kid (heavily British) and Uruguay (British influences are very strong there), plus I root for British football teams (soccer to you Yanks ;) ). In case you're interested the Arsenal Gunners are my team. And I just started reading a book about El Alamein. And I am a fan of Monty's, his many defects notwithstanding.

So this is just a fantastic looking range. I can't wait for July (as you couldn't have guessed that).

I too just looked at the ad, Andy will you do something sub par so I have something to complain about! Awesome!!!
Gary

When I was really young I can remember a friend of my dad's had an old Bren carrier he used around the farm.It was painted a tan colour.I use to ride around in it with my green fatigues playing army. To have that now would really add to my K&C collection.Unfortunately I think it went to the scrap pile.
I to like the British sets and the movie "A Bridge to Far."There are so many cameo appearances by other actors.One in particular stands out is the actor who later becomes best known as "Cliff Claven" from Cheers.He is in the river crossing.
Since we are always asking,how about some Hedgerow pieces for diorama use?

Sorry Brad, but if you think I complain about Patton, you should here me go on about Mongomery, in my opinion one of the worst generals in the war. I have three words for you: Operation Good Wood. I have three more: Operation Market Garden. Did we neglect to mention his inability to close the Falais Pocket, leading to the escape of hundreds of thousands of German Troops through the Falais Gap? Not to mention his conduct during and after the Battle of the Bulge (the man had the unmitigated gall to give a press conference saying that despite the utter collapse of the Americans, he saved the allies!!! After he sat on his ass and refused to do anything to relieve the 101st in Bastogne!!!!). I put him right up there with Douglass Haig (the butcher who kept sending British Troops over the top in human waive attacks from 1915 right up into 1918 until the advent of the tank and the influx of half-a-million Americans saved his ass) on my list of incompetent British Commanders (the list includes General Elphinstone from the 1st Afghan War, who ever the schmuck was who commanded the British forces at the Battle of New Orleans, Hugh Gough from the Battle of Chilleanwallah (wiped out about 1/2 of the 24th Foot charging a Sikh Gun Position, famous for saying, when informed that his artillery had run out of shells during the artillery duel during this battle "Thank God, now we can be at them with the Bayonet"), Lord Chelmsford, in command of the British Forces during the Zulu War, who got pretty much the entire 24th Foot wiped out at the Battle of Isandlawana (what is about British Generals hating the 24th Foot? do they just dislike the Welsh?), Valentine Baker (who after molesting a minor and getting kicked out fo the British Army, led a force of Egyptian Constabulary with modern weapons to total defeat at the hands of Madhists with spears and clubs), and, at the very bottom, Lord Raglan (the one armed idiot), Lord Lucan and his dispised brother in law James Brudenell, the Sixth Earl of Cardigan, together responsible for the disasters of the Crimean War, including the Charge of the Light Brigade. Don't get me wrong, the British (and more importantly the Scots) have produced some of the greatest military leaders of all time, including Wellington (wasn't Arthur Wellsley protestant-Irish?), Lord Horatio Nelson (moment of silence please), Sir Colin Campbell (a Scotsman, thank you), Frederick Sleigh Roberts (that's Bobs Bahadur to those in the know), Lord Clive (Peccavi!), Hector MacDonald (another Scotsman, "Fighting Mack", the ranker-come-general who saved Kitchener's reputation at the Battle of Omderman), with an Honorable Mention to Sir Garnett Woseley (All Sir Garnett, the very model of the modern major general), who loses credit only for (1) "advertising" and (2) failing to save Chinese Gordon by being a little over-cautious.

Attachments

• DSC07894.jpg
    DSC07894.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSC01201 Trophy US2 Alamo Len Taylor.jpg
    DSC01201 Trophy US2 Alamo Len Taylor.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 27
Louis,

I don't want to get involved in a tit for tat because you know a bit more than I do and it's not the best use of our time. So let's look at the Falaise Gap very briefly. But before we do that, part of Monty's problem is his personality. He didn't help himself in that area that's for sure and I think Americans just have a thing for him. Back to Falaise, have you read Carlo D'Este's Decision in Normandy? A fantastic book. In that book in discussing what he calls the "Falaise Controversy", D'Este writes "Whatever failure there may have been to close the noose sooner had less to do with lapses in Allied generalship and more to do with the German will to survive, as US forces were to have conclusively proved to them during the Battle of the Bulge." D'Este quotes Lieutenant General Bedell Smith telling Dr. Forrest Pogue after the war that: "the closing of the Falaise Gap was not Monty's fault. D'Este says "according to Smith, the principal reason was German determination to keep the escape corridor to the east open." So I think it's far from clear that you can blame Monty or the other Allied generals for the failure to close the Gap.

Nor would it have in my opinion ended the war, not with what was still going in the East, a theater of the war that we westerners sadly for the most part ignore.

Attachments

• 12861.jpg
    12861.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 15
Dear Brad,

I notice you didn't mention good wood, market garden or the bulge. But focusing on the Falais Gap and the similar circumstance towards the end of the bulge, Bedell Smith (Ike's Chief of Staff, if my memory serves) may be correct in putting the credit on the German's will to survive rather than the blame on Monty's failure, but I don't recall any all out effort to close the gap on the part of the Brits or Canadians (no offense to fighting men from either nationality, merely a reflection on the will of their commander), and, if I remember correctly, a Polish force was able to break through the Germans and link up with the Americans, but Monty's forces failed to keep contact with them. Similarly, during the end game of the Battle of the Bulge, while American forces on the Southern Shoulder of the bulge were fighting like heck to pinch off the bulge, Monty's forces on the north of the bulge sat on their butts and failed to link up, again allowing a substantial German force to escape. While eliminating either of these forces would not be certain to end the war, imagine if the British had failed to escape at Dunkirk and lost those 350,000 men. What do you think would have happened? Might that not have knocked them out of the war? I think that perhaps the best indictment of Monty is this: he constantly got his way (except at the very end of the war when Ike wouldn't let him drive for Berlin), was given, due to the support of Churchill, far more resources than any of the American commanders, and yet never won a great victory after El Alamein. And lets face it, at El Alamein he had Ultra codebreakers feeding him Rommels every move, had total air supremecy, ultimate superiority in supplies, shorter supply lines, outnumered the Afrika Corps in Tanks about 600 to 150, his 600 tanks were brand new American Stuarts, M3 Lees and M4 Shermans, while Rommel had 8 Panzer IV specials, 6 Long Barreled Panzer III's, another 15 German tanks, with the remainder being totally inferior Italian M13's. A first year cadet at West Point could have defeated Rommel under these facts. Oh, and the entire plan for the Battle of El Alamein was set up by the outgoing commander (I think it was Percival Waivel, but it might have been Alexander), who was replaced by Churchill because he wanted more time to set up before attacking. Monty merely took the existing plan, waited for the reinforcements his predecessor was denied the time to obtain, and (as was his modus operandi) basked in the spotlight after the totally overmatched German and Italian Forces were inevitably defeated. It was the credit from this lone success that made his entire reputation. I don't think he was half the commander that Slim, of the 14th (forgotten) Army in Burma, was, but the Brits were so desperate for a hero that Monty became untouchable. There is book written by Monty's chief of Staff (a British Officer with a French sounding name) that, if you read between the lines, really rips Monty. If I can find my copy I will loan it to you.

You're right, I didn't focus on Goodwood, the Bulge etc. just because these things can quite involved and this is a debate that's been going on for 60 years and shows no sign of abating. I wouldn't say that your points don't have merit, that's what makes him somewhat of an enigma. Regarding Alexander, from what I've read, he was popular but not that highly regarded by the powers that be. I don't think CIGS Brooke saw him as someone who carry out Normandy. BTW, Monty's Chief of Staff was Freddy deGuingand.

Attachments

• DSC07562.jpg
    DSC07562.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 360
  • DSC07578.jpg
    DSC07578.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC07575.jpg
    DSC07575.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC07630.jpg
    DSC07630.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC07787.jpg
    DSC07787.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC07788.jpg
    DSC07788.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 7
  • DSC07795.jpg
    DSC07795.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 11
Again a bunch of great new sets are going to be released. I was going to try and stay away from the British, but they look really nice. The Churchill tank almost swayed me already, I guess I will need it to go with the other British ;)

That Churchill tank is quite nice so I'd recommend picking it up. I think if you combine it with the Bren Carrier and the Staghound, it will make for a nice display.

Attachments

• GrieveHighlander3w.jpg
    GrieveHighlander3w.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 15
  • GrieveHighlander.jpg
    GrieveHighlander.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Priest3w.jpg
    Priest3w.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 11
  • Priest2w.jpg
    Priest2w.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Priest1w.jpg
    Priest1w.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Napoleon20112w.jpg
    Napoleon20112w.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Napoleon2011w.jpg
    Napoleon2011w.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 10
  • BritainGlossy2w.jpg
    BritainGlossy2w.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 9
  • BritainGlossy1w.jpg
    BritainGlossy1w.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 10
  • BritainGlossy3w.jpg
    BritainGlossy3w.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 10
  • BritainGlossy4w.jpg
    BritainGlossy4w.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 10
  • BritainGlossy5w.jpg
    BritainGlossy5w.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 12
  • BritainGlossy7w.jpg
    BritainGlossy7w.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 9
  • BritainGlossy6w.jpg
    BritainGlossy6w.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Mounties5w.jpg
    Mounties5w.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 8
The new British and Canadian stuff is absolutely fantastic. I agree with that earlier thread about Pegasus Bridge, it would make a great diorama. I would break my Horsa Glider out of storage and set up a massive diorama if Andy did do the bridge. Andy, however, seems a little leary of going all out on the British stuff. I've noticed that several of the prototypes he declined to put into production for fear of lack of interest are British vehicles like the Bedford QL Radio Command Car and the Bedford Troop Carrier Truck. I guess he isn't sure that the American market (except for hard core fanatics like me) would buy the stuff. Lets prove him wrong and get him to make us some more of this great stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back