uss. monitor (1 Viewer)

steveemmo

Private 1st Class
re-discovered this whilst i was messing around in the front box room earlier today its out of view and unoticed on a top shelf, and i dont know if its just me or what ?...but i think this is..and i know its probably not the right phrase or description for it but...desperately pretty....no ? just me then !

Attachments

• DSC06834 (Small).JPG
    DSC06834 (Small).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 296
very nice indeed. your description sums it up nicely
Mitch

Very cool, very impressive! Is that in 54mm, and who built it?

Prost!
Brad

yes it was built for 54mm. figures, it`s around 5 feet long and i made it a couple of years ago, i had it for sale along with some other ironclads that i had built at the london toy soldier show, but i think the size of my ships was a bit off putting, two boats did sell though, one was an eads ironclad the "uss. cairo" and the other was a southern boat the css. arkansas, i was promised a pictures of both boats in thier final settings but so far none has arrived... i have it mind to put her (uss.monitor) in display case as if at sea with magic water around it..or maybe moored at a jetty recoaling or something.

yes it was built for 54mm. figures, it`s around 5 feet long and i made it a couple of years ago, i had it for sale along with some other ironclads that i had built at the london toy soldier show, but i think the size of my ships was a bit off putting, two boats did sell though, one was an eads ironclad the "uss. cairo" and the other was a southern boat the css. arkansas, i was promised a pictures of both boats in thier final settings but so far none has arrived... i have it mind to put her (uss.monitor) in display case as if at sea with magic water around it..or maybe moored at a jetty recoaling or something.

Steve, would you consider making " cheater versions " of your ships. The 54mm versions that I " make " are sized to accept the height of a figure, but shortened for display purposes. My ships are usually 24"- 28" long..I would gladly pay for for your version of a Tyler wooden gunboat, or a shortened Cairo. Could I make these ships, maybe? But I am far from a pro and my versions would not look as good as yours..I have attached my Osage at about 27" long. Since the Cairo and Tyler were about the same length, I would need your ship to be at least that length..What are your thoughts? Michael

Attachments

• HPIM0294a.JPG
    HPIM0294a.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 176
Good morning michael, i always set off building my boats with the intention of making them smaller and cheat like you would`nt believe...i just get lost along the way big is beautiful and all that...and no matter what i do they turn out large ! even my "little nile steamer is rounding off at 3 1/2-4 feet long, and my wife says they all have to go.. and in all honesty because they are large think they will end up in on the tip, however cairo is an easy enough build if you have enough pieces of scrap wood at 1/4 square, strips of planking, plywood and a blockboard base...on top of this i use corrugated plastic card sheet and evo-stick glue which i found if you use spread it thinnley across the plastic sheet melts it slightly giving a rippled or dented effect. i think the trick to the ironclads is getting them to look grimey so i use dark woodstains and matt paints....i do not have too many photos of cairo left but i have a few overhead shots and 1 or 2 close ups of each end still which i can email you in larger format if you want them. as for building 1 for you, are you in the states?, i am in england which could be a sticking point!... i have looked at your osage and tinclad quite a few times now and your work in getting that curved deck makes you a far more patient builder than me, but as you know the perceived difficulty in building these things is simply down to getting on with it. sadly i do not think i have any secrets to pass on to you but will gladly help you in any way i can...... oh and absolutely love your muppet avatar, it never fails to make me laugh!

Attachments

• user1815_pic11973_1271181631 (Medium).jpg
    user1815_pic11973_1271181631 (Medium).jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 166
  • user1815_pic11974_1271181631 (Medium).jpg
    user1815_pic11974_1271181631 (Medium).jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 148
  • (Medium) (Small).jpg
    (Medium) (Small).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 147
  • 1 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    1 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    39 KB · Views: 150
My biggest problem is in building the hulls for most of my ships. Because I have no real carpentry skill, most of my free hand cuts never come out perfectly rounded. My turret is actually a 4" plumbing fitting, with gun ports dremelled into it and jewelry beads glued on for rivets. My sternwheel housing is a mini bucket turned upside down. So you see, I am really a " ham and egger" ( U.S. for jack of no trade.) I really appreciate your skill and do wish you lived closer..Michael

to get the hull shape i usually pencil in the pointy bow and rounded stern, then slowly jigsaw one half.. then i pick the jigsawed half up off the floor and use it as a template for the other side it rarely fits the already penciled in line but you do get symetry, plastic card a block of softish wood and a light hammer and blunt roundish edged punch gives you rivets.
gotta go to work now..:(
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back