Viet Nam Set ? Louis, Help! (1 Viewer)

gk5717

2nd Lieutenant
I have the U.S. soldiers & Marines and VC. But there was a huey & personel carrier also, correct? And are they of the wood variety and in the $400 range.
Also there was a Viet Nam civilian set also.
But did K&C issue any buildings as pictured on the brochure?
I,ve seen the huey at OTSN, but I,ve never seen the per. carrier or any of the buildings.
Gary

Dear Gary,

I own everything you are looking for. I have both versions of the M113 APC (one in wood and one in resin). As far as the buildings are concerned, I have the Firebase, which is a really cool diorama, as well as the right portion of the Tet Offensive Street Scene Diorama, which consists of a burning Streets of Hong Kong House, a Streets of Hong Kong Temple Facade and Chinese Garden Walls, (the temple and walls painted maroon, and covered with painted on bullet holes). All of these items are depicted in the Vietnam Flyer, which can be viewed on the Sager's Toy Soldiers web site, or if you have access to a color fax machine, I can fax you color copies of the flyers. I know a gentleman who has a damaged, but repairable resin version of the M113 APC for sale. I have a second wood M113, but I never sell anything King & Country, and would only trade it for another old wood vehicle or war plane, or one of th sets of old King & Country glossy figures I don't have in my collection.

I thought I read somewhere that some of the Hong Kong sets are repainted Vietnam sets, is that true? If so I think it would be a way to bolster a Vietnam collection for dispaly.

Louis

How bad is the apc damaged, what does he want for it.
Thanks, I appreciate it.
The buildings you were talking about were they specially made or regular issue. I,m sure not many were made.
Gary

First, in rely to Flammenpanzer, yes, the Vietnam villagers set (a mama san, a papa san, a boy on a water buffalo, a platter of fish and a platter of fruit) has been repainted and sold as two Streets of Hong Kong sets. In fact, the Streets of Hong Kong boy on the water buffalo, is presently for sale on ebay. Also, as I pointed out in my original response, Andy recycled some of his wood and Papier Mache Steets of Hong Kong buildings (the Temple Facade, the Hong Kong Village Gate, the traditional chinese garden and the burning Hong Kong Building) for use as Tet Offensive Vietnam buildings.

Now, to respond to the originator of this thread's question re: the Resin M113 APC. The one I am aware of was offered for sale relatively cheap, and the damage was primarily to the tracks and bogie wheels. Basically, a couple of the wheels, and a couple of inches of track had come off, and needed to be fit back together and reattached. The body of the vehicle and the machine guns on top were intact to my recollection. I think I recall the asking price being $200-$300. The seller in question also had a UH1 Huey Helicoptor for sale for around $800. If you are interested, e-mail me, and I will put the two of you together.

I forgot to mention the other K&C Vietnam vehicle, which is also in my collection: a resin and metal "Duster" anti-aircraft tank (an open turreted vehicle, mounted on a light tank chasis, with two anti-aircraft cannon). This was apparently used to level foliated areas.

Also, I noticed I didn't answer your question about the buildings: The Vietnam Fire Base was made to order, either in six sections or two sections which fit together, and to my knowledge a fair amount were made between 1996 and 2000 (maybe 15-30). As to the Tet Offensive Street Scene Diorama, I believe only one was made, it was originally in the possession of one of the dealers in New Jersey, Flintlock Collectibles, and was later sold to Jim Hillestad of the Toy Soldier Museum, the dealer in the Pocanos. Apparently at some point the rather large diorama was split up (or there was more than one, and the second was split up) and a portion of it came into the possession of the Hobby Bunker (Matt Murphy) in Massechusetts, where I bought the right hand quarter of the diorama (the Temple Facade, the burning Streets of Hong Kong Buildings, and a portion of the wall from the chinese garden). I have to check with Jim Hillestad and find out what became of the rest of the diorama. If I find out I will let you know.

I'm friends with Mike De Marco, owner of the Colonial Toy Soldier (formerly Flintlock Collectibles) in my town so I'll ask him if he remembers. He did tell me about it one time. He said that at one point he couldn't give it away. Well, that was a different time. He also said that at one point he had to beg people to buy the landing craft :eek:

Attachments

• 6199.jpg
    6199.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 0
Well guys, I got it straight from the horses mouth this morning. Andy emailed me and informed me that, in fact, he made two Tet Offensive Street Scene Dioramas. I have part of one. I know that Jim Hillestad has either the rest of mine or a full one. I am going to call Jim and find out. If possible, I would like to see the complete one.

Attachments

• 8088.jpg
    8088.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 8138.jpg
    8138.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 11
late to ask

i am searching for the #7 set of marines and the vietnamese civilian set
never saw the duster you mentioned would be interested in that

Take a look on Bill Sager's website, and you will see photos of the Duster from my collection.

Duster is going to be difficult, I think only Louis and Andy have it. Vietnam

set #7 is something you can find. It usually goes for $200-$300 and came

with a certificate. Set #2 The Vietnamese is another story, I have not seen

it on Ebay, and even Bill's sight does not have a picture of the set!

I believe it consisted of the Old man & woman selling fish and the boy on

the Water Buffalo. I have no idea what its value would be if it was available,

I would estimate perhaps $375?

I will go take a photos of what I think the set was and post it.

Also set #8 The Vietcong.

Set #5 M113.

Attachments

• oct11 034.jpg
    oct11 034.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 437
  • oct11 038.jpg
    oct11 038.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 260
  • oct11 056.jpg
    oct11 056.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 476
late to ask

i am searching for the #7 set of marines and the vietnamese civilian set
never saw the duster you mentioned would be interested in that

Heres a couple of shots of a Fly Over....hope you enjoy them!

Attachments

• Fly Over-.jpg
    Fly Over-.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 235
  • Fly Over-1.jpg
    Fly Over-1.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Fly Over-2.jpg
    Fly Over-2.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 220
That dio looks great... one of the best ive ever seen...

K&C used to produce that firebase diorama on an as ordered basis. Here is a quote from the book about it:

In late 1996 K&C released a flyer with three more wood and papier mache dioramas, one of which, the Vietnam Firebase, was advertised as available for custom production, and a second of which, the Tet Offensive Street Scene, was also custom produced (with at least four having been made). The third diorama, depicting a Hong Kong Harbor scene, was cobbled together from existing Streets of Hong Kong and Back Lot buildings and bases, with the addition of one new building: the Silk Road Great Wall Gateway.

The Vietnam Firebase was the first complete diorama expressly made available for custom production and sale to the collecting public. Two otherwise identical versions were made, one in six parts, the other in two parts. Both depicted a complete firebase with helipad, Quonset hut, medical building, roofed lookout post, sandbag walls surrounded by punjie sticks (made from toothpicks) with a trail leading off from the front past two rice paddies. Approximately 25-30 were produced between 1996 and 2001. The firebase, originally listed as “price on request” was sold to the author for $750.

Its a Great Series to collect!

You might even find a Firebase! One sold a year or so ago for a bit less then

$2000. There are only 8 Sets, 6 figures, 3 vehicles, + 2 possible Hueys!

Figures show up on occassion of Ebay, and are very reasonable for such a

"Detailed" early series. I love the figures, each one is different, slight paint

variations, and nicely detailed.

Hueys come in both Marine, and Army markings.

Vehicles are wood M113, I believe .....35 made.

Resin & metal M113 around 15 made.

Duster....I believe maybe 3.

Great Series.

Here is updated correct photo of Set VN02 including Vietcong sniper.

Attachments

• VN02.jpg
    VN02.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 293
How well I remember the squat pose,,I could even do it with ease at one time

Its a Great Series to collect!

You might even find a Firebase! One sold a year or so ago for a bit less then

$2000. There are only 8 Sets, 6 figures, 3 vehicles, + 2 possible Hueys!

Figures show up on occassion of Ebay, and are very reasonable for such a

"Detailed" early series. I love the figures, each one is different, slight paint

variations, and nicely detailed.

Hueys come in both Marine, and Army markings.

Vehicles are wood M113, I believe .....35 made.

Resin & metal M113 around 15 made.

Duster....I believe maybe 3.

Great Series.

Here is updated correct photo of Set VN02 including Vietcong sniper.

The Vietcong Sniper does not belong in the set entitled "The Vietnamese", it belongs in the set entitled "The Vietcong". You had it right the first time.

At the risk of really stirring things up around here I would suggest that in my opinion the Vietnam series was better than the Arnhem series. I think there was much more action in the figures and some really good poses. The guy with a punji stick in his boot and a bandaged foot. The guys disembarking from the Hueys and the Huey itself. Unfortunately Vietnam is not as popular as WWII so everyone remembers the Arnhem series but overlooks this little gem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back