West Coaster 2023 (1 Viewer)

Al Fisher

Sergeant
Returned from the West Coaster yesterday afternoon. More tables than last year, but room sales were down once again. Attendance appeared to be up, which is gratifying. Scot Morlan was there after being AWOL last year. Metal Sheds was represented by Bruce Hebron's son as Bruce is no longer able to make his wonderful creations. Dr. Bill McDade and Nick Versteeg have sadly passed on, but were likely there in spirit.

I usually go there with an agenda of buying a few hard-to-get figures and . . . as usual . . . struck out. I did find a few goodies to bring home. But my main reason for attending is to visit with old friends and swap stories! In that I was not disappointed. Would that there were more converters, painters, and collectors in the San Diego area! A wonderful group and I look forward to next year's show . . . only 364 days from now!

Hopefully, someone will post some photos.

And yes, boys and girls, there will be a Chicago show according to Matt!

Bosun Al

I enjoyed the West Coaster.
Buying, selling, trading was fun.
Met some new people with similar TS favorites.
Looking forward to next year.

Great to meet you this year Denver!

Julie

Anyone at the show, did William Britain's have a new Sherman tank on display??

Anyone at the show, did William Britain's have a new Sherman tank on display??

Ericka confirmed they’re making an M4A3 large hatch Sherman and will be putting together a video for it. Perfect for the Bulge. I’m looking forward to it.

Ericka confirmed they’re making an M4A3 large hatch Sherman and will be putting together a video for it. Perfect for the Bulge. I’m looking forward to it.

Doug and Ted were at the show. When they return we will be working on a short video, similar to the one we made on the German Flak 88 that will feature our M4A3 Large hatch, wet stowage vehicles. The next issue of our magazine The Standard will also have a review of the new model and an article by David Doyle.
I grew up in Detroit and used to drive by the Tank plant on the way to visit family on the east side all of the time. We had a Sherman at the park two blocks from my parent’s house until the late 1960s, another one at the outdoor movie theatre and a running one at the junk yard until the late 1970s. We currently have three small hatch M4A3s in the Chillicothe, Ohio area near our home office.
I would love to hear about the ones collectors remember seeing at various locations too…
Ken Osen

I’m looking forward to seeing what this looks like. Unless I’m mistaken, WB hasn’t made a tank in eons.

Thank you to Matt from Hobby Bunker for hosting the show. Room trading was slow, but the horrid weather probably had something to do with that. Conversely, there were a lot of people at the actual show, and it seemed like sales were brisk for many.

WB was at the show, and it was nice to see manufacturer representation there. They were the only one. They didn't have a new Sherman but had tons of other pieces on display. The things that jumped out at me were the brilliant US M5 anti-tank gun sets. There are two versions. Their German 88 flak looks amazing in person. I really like the gray one but all versions are great. I was also impressed with WB's personality figures and how the sculptures really capture the essence of the subject, and they are well painted. For instance Frederick Douglas looks so much like his photos. Thank you to WB for being the one manufacturer who made the effort to appear at the show.

I wasn't able to attend the show last year, so it made this year even more fun. I got to catch up with so many folks, and I really enjoy that part a lot. A lot of people almost didn't recognize me because I cut my hair. I finally got to meet Treefrog's own Julie in person and had fun chatting with her. It was nice to see DeAnna Versteeg there and so many others.

As far as other things that stood out at the show, that would have to be anything by JJD (Trojan War range is lovely as all of their other ranges are), War Park, First Legion (stunning Assyrians & new WWII Germans), Team (beautiful Indians!!), and the aforementioned WB. They are the firms who are clearly leading the way forward (not just my opinion), and I'm starting to get excited about the hobby again. A special shout out to WP for the best vehicles on show. I hope they start making Allied armor, and that if they do it gets supported with good sales.

Glad to see everyone I did get a chance to visit with, and I'm sorry that I somehow missed you Al and Denver! See you nest year!
Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back