What are the Forum members reading (3 Viewers)

I am reading «The First World War», by Martin Gilbert and plan on taking a smaller book on holiday, «Napoleon and Portugal», by a French author whose name I don't remember right now.

Paulo

I recently finished "The Last Patriot" (terrorism/Islam novel - good reading) and am awaiting delivery of some new books from Tankograd - Technical manual info on the M8 howitzer motor carriage and M5A1 light tank, plus a volume on the REFORGER exersizes. I really want to read "Steel Wave', but I might wait and read it on the way to and from OTSN.

Gary

I've also got "Don't Start the Revolution Without Me" going, by Jesse Ventura, but his line of reasoning has been so irritating that I can only read a piece at a time. He accuses "right-wing religious nuts" of being narrow-minded and attacking those who don't agree with them, then he makes disparaging remarks about people who disagree with him.

So, I cracked open "At Dawn We Slept".

he makes disparaging remarks about people who disagree with him

Now, isn't that a familiar story?

Regards
H

2 books
- Hellriders by Brighton , Charge of the light brigade as viewed by the survivors and the latest WEB Griffin- Death and Honor

he makes disparaging remarks about people who disagree with him

Now, isn't that a familiar story?

Regards
H

It's a fallen world, Harry, and humans can't create anything perfect

....except maybe the Empress Dowager set from the SOHK set.

Prost!
Brad

It's a fallen world, Harry, and humans can't create anything perfect

Prost!
Brad

Now you're talking. I'd love to see K&C do a younger version when Tsui Tse was still "The Orchid".

Cheers
H

Armies of God: Islam and Empire on the Nile 1869-1899 By Dominic Green
A Short History of Modern Philosophy Roger Scruton
A Secular Age Charles Taylor
I have bee working on the latter two for six months I am afraid
Regards
Damian

Yes, very much so, a great part for him, as a former SEAL.

A friend of mine lent me the book, and I wanted to see what he had to say. It bothers me a little when I hear talk show hosts or pundits just dismiss him out of hand because he was a professional wrestler, as if that means he's stupid or worse (Michael Medved, for example). He's a pretty bright guy, lots of drive and determination, but I don't think he moves from gut feelings to deeper reflection on some issues.

He was pretty good in "The Running Man", too, as the retired stalker Captain Freedom.

Prosit!
Brad

Hi Brad, I wasn't inferring anything, I was just surprised. I reckon he played a terrific part in the Predator movie, complete with Aussie style bush hat, but I had never heard what happened to the guy after the Predator movie.

It's good that he went into politics etc, as did Arnie. And from reading Ventura's policies on his wiki page I would say I agree with most of them. But I would have to read his book, as you did, to get a more complete impression of the guy. I'm not a fan of body building or wrestling, but I do admire people that have the drive to achieve whatever goals they may have, or at least give it a red hot go.

I just got done White Devil about Robert Rogers,The First Way of War by John Grenier about American warmaking since the 17th cen. until 1830's.Now I'm reading Captors and Captives about the 1704 raid on Deerfield Mass.
Mark

Well, right now I'm reading the breakfast menu in my hotel.

Have ran out of books and I'm not paying hotel prices for second-hand books that I'm not really interested in anyway. So yesterday I began "Zulu" by David Saul again. Maybe I'll understand some of the longer words this time around.

Cheers
H

Breakfast?:confused: As an acolyte of Sir Flashman shouldn't you be reading the beverage selections from the bar menu?:D:):D

Let me know if you have any other recs for NWF reading. I've got to buff up my history in anticipation of future releases;).

plus a volume on the REFORGER exersizes.

Somebody wrote a book on REFORGER EXCERISES? What's the title and who publishes it? Participated in a few of those so it might make interesting reading for me.

At the moment, I'm enjoying Adventures with the Connaught Rangers by William Grattan.

It's a very well written eyewitness account of the author's military service with the aforementioned regiment during the Peninsular War, from Bussaco onwards. One of those rare works that you can almost read twice - once purely for enjoyment, and a second time to properly pick up on all the nuggets of interesting first-hand historical information it contains. Extremely funny at times as well.

The other item of reading material I'm currently perusing is, erm.....The Da Vinci Code! I know, I know, probably not the most heavyweight piece of literature that will cross my desk in 2008 - but I must be one of the few people on the planet who hasn't read it, and/or seen the movie at this stage. And despite my initial cynicism, it actually isn't too bad for lazy summer reading.

Off on my holliers next week, so it'll probably be one or two hardbacks from dependable sources like Wilbur Smith or Conn Iggulden to keep me engrossed on the beach.

Cheers,

Molloy.

So far so good. From the reviews I've read and the people I've talked to it's a bit revisionist (i.e., the British really helping the Jews towards the end, etc.).

Have you read Benny Morris' new book, 1948: The First Arab Israeli War. It's quite an interesting book as it gives you the historical background to the War although Morris can be a little turgid at times and it can be rough sledding here and there. His description of the battles is not the best and the book needs a lot more maps. The best part of the book was actually the end with the conclusion: a good summary of the consequences of the war. All in all, worth picking up.

Have not seen that one? I'll scope out the bookstore this evening and try to locate it. Most of what I've read on that situation seems to be a little revisionist, probably because no one wants to take the blame for the mess:rolleyes:. A good account would, IMHO, have to include quite a bit on the collapse of Ottoman control in the region and the subsequent fallout.

I'm currently reading The Life of Johnny Reb by Bell Wiley. A pretty good Civil War read for a book that came out in 1943! Anyone else read it? It comes together with The Life of Billy Yank. I'll get to that next.

Also reading Messy Spirituality by Michael Yaconelli (but that's work related for me :))

I just finished Loon Feather by Iola Fuller. I usually read only non-fiction history books but this one is an exception. The story is about the daughter of the famous Indian Chief Tecumseh. The setting is life on Mackinac Island and the relationships between Indians, French Voyageurs , fur trading and the British living on the island around 1830. My wife recommended it after she read it and I was glad I read the story. It has 456 pages but full of history of that era. The book was written in 1940 but still in print and on shelves in Michigan. Leadmen

Ok, Now I'm going to read Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth" for the 2nd time in this life. Will give sitrep before Thanksgiving, I promise.:p He is my 2nd favorite author, behind Wilbur Smith .Mike

Wilbur Smith oh boy if you wanted to annoy the English teachers at Durban High just use Shout at the Devil for your book review. He was considered beyond the pale. Yet he has probably sold more books than any other Southern African writer.
Regards
Damian

Financial reports......and they don't look good! One local bank here in Georgia

had to sell off their position in Coca Cola after 90 years to cover pending

losses. Gave up 125 million a year in dividens.

Most of us recall how we had to approach banks hat in hand to borrow

money for our 1st home, or new car. What these banks have done with their

depositors money is simply a crime.

Before you deposit any significant money in any bank please check their

financial statements you would be shocked!

Here are a couple of examples first is a local regional bank:

Market Cap 13.50 Billion
Total Cash 16.20 Billion

Total Debt 35.91 Billion? Uh ohhhhhhhhhhh:eek:

Here is a large national bank

Market Cap 28.38 Billion
Total Cash 101.18 Billion

Total Debt 230.66 Billion What:confused:

With 52 Billion in the FDIC trust fund to cover bank falures..........:eek::eek:

Somebody better Wake Up:eek:

So be careful, and do your homework!

Just finished "Despatches fom the Crimea" by William Russell. Interesting to see how the Victorians read about the war in their newspapers and interesting also to note that he was the cause of censorship after his reports caused such political turmoil.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back