What are the Forum members reading (5 Viewers)

...thoroughly enjoyed the style of writing in ..."The Winter Soldiers" by Richard M. Ketchum.....a good book which rightly belongs on many recommended reading lists...

...next book in AWI chronological order is going to be:- "Saratoga, A Military History of the Decisive Campaign of the American Revolution" by John F. Luzader...

...I do need to find more books though that relate to the affair from a British viewpoint (to keep an even balance).....I have a few 'general histories' from this side of things but it would be nice to read more detailed campaign histories about specific events...

Gents,

Check this one out:

Cover_of_Pyongyang_by_Guy_Delisle.gif

It is a graphic novel written by a Canadian dude who worked in the North Korean animation studios for I think 6 months. He is also a cartoonist, thus he wrote the book in a comic form. It is funny, witty, sad, and creepy. I bought it off eBay for a couple of bucks and is an entertaining read into the Hermit state.

John from Texas

...now that Christmas and Hogmanay is out of the way, it allowed me time to concentrate on and finish reading - "Saratoga, A Military History of the Decisive Campaign of the American Revolution" by John F. Luzader.....I had not realised at just how involved the machinations were between the supporters of Gates and Schulyer, in relation to one or the other securing command of the Northern Department....

...due to the military events that eventually led to the surrender of Burgoyne and a British Army....I've chosen to read a further book about this moment, and have plumped for a new book on the subject:- "1777, Tipping Point at Saratoga" by Dean Snow.....what I find fascinating about 18th century warfare is the 'politeness' that goes along with how it is to be conducted...

Has anyone ever read this book, or even have it?

It is by the brother of "Mad Jack" Churchill who supposedly carried a longbow, bagpipes and a basket-hilted Highland broadsword into combat at different points during WWII. A famous picture of him wading ashore with his commando unit on D-Day. And it is about both their experiences.

Has anyone ever read this book, or even have it?

It is by the brother of "Mad Jack" Churchill who supposedly carried a longbow, bagpipes and a basket-hilted Highland broadsword into combat at different points during WWII. A famous picture of him wading ashore with his commando unit on D-Day. And it is about both their experiences.

Didn't read the book, but exist as a bust
mad jack.jpg

http://www.squadron.com/Rpmodels-100mm-Mad-Jack-Churchill-Bust-HRP8000-p/hrp80003.htm

Best

....finished reading "1777, Tipping Point at Saratoga" by Dean Snow......it wouldn't do to make this a first book to read about Saratoga, but it certainly helps to fill out the days events in such a way that makes it a nice read...the book is based around the period of the battles of Freeman's Farm / Bemis Heights / and the end at Saratoga...each of the days are broken down into timed segments, following individuals as they go about creating history...

...unfortunately, the maps let the book down, lacking landscape detail other than divisional names with a distracting grey highlight behind the words that make it difficult to read, likewise some of the historical facts are a wee bit flawed and stereotypical....but, seeing beyond those points....the way the narrative is written is very engaging...lending itself to creating a memorable impression of what happened...

...up next, following chronological events, is:- "The Philadelphia Campaign, Volume 1, Brandywine and the Fall of Philadelphia" by Thomas J. McGuire...

...still finding the subject fascinating....all the AWI books read so far have been a revelation....

I'm reading The Romanovs by Simon Montefiore. A history of the dynasty that ruled Russia for some 300 years[/I].Good background on current issues such as the Ukraine and Crimea. And of course we all know that Peter III collected toy soldiers, right?:D

I have just finished re-reading an old copy of "Is Paris Burning?" by Larry Collins and Dominique Lapierre.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/213843.Is_Paris_Burning_

The story centres largely around General Choltitz, a perfect Nazi, who dithers between destroying Paris or disobeying Hitler, and DeGaulle, a vain and arrogant man but who conquers the Parisian crowd with his incredible show of bravery during his walkaround. Although a good read, it loses out to Manchester's "American Caesar" or Toland's "The Last 100 Days".

Rgds Victor

Took a chance on 2 Pb Lafayette Escadrille titles. First is "Like a Thunderbolt:The Lafayette Escadrille and the Advent of American Pursuit in World War 1", by Roger Miller. Grandiose title for what is a thumbnail sketch of only 68 pages. Brief as it is, it is a good, basic introduction to the subject and I recommend it for someone whose knowledge of the subject isn't deep but would like to be introduced to the unit. Not for the advanced historian/reader, but a nice start. The second title is "Kiffen Rockwell, the Lafayette Escadrille and the Birth of the United States Air Force", by T. B. Murphy. Another grandiose title, but one that really earns it. It is 187 pages of excellent biographical material on one of the original LE members. It is illustrated with maps and photos. I highly recommend this title for anyone interested in the LE. This is a noteworthy addition to LE history. -- Al

I just finished, "In Harm's Way," about the sinking of the Indianapolis, a quick read, because it's gripping. Next, I picked up David Drake's "Redliners", which I think I've read before, but I can't remember for certain.

Prost!
Brad

....got to the end of a couple more AWI related books...."John Peebles' American War - The Diary of a Scottish Grenadier, 1776-1782".....a truly fascinating day-by-day, year-by-year, detailed account of the life of an officer of the 42nd Highland Regiment (Black Watch)...this is living history....what made the most impact on me was the references to the numerous desertions, by both the British and the Americans....and then the subsequent execution of a caught deserter to try and prevent further such events....having said that, I enjoyed the book for the personal viewpoint it gave when covering the Philadelphia Campaign....

...which leads nicely to the other book that I've also finished, "The Philadelphia Campaign, Volume 1, Brandywine and the Fall of Philadelphia" by Thomas J. McGuire.....another extremely detailed book, well written, a recommended addition to anyone's AWI library.....a very good read.....

....the next book will be - "The Philadelphia Campaign, Volume 2, Germantown and the Roads to Valley Forge" by Thomas J. McGuire....

La Guerre et l'Occupation by O Liedel Ed J Rozez Bxl 1947 Folio in box, size 30 x 40 cm ( 11,8 x 15,70 inches ) limited edition 526 pieces
with lot of illustrations ( painting in colours )

7280014500_2 R.jpg 7280014500_4 R.jpg

Just received 2 books, one of which, 'African Kaiser' by Robert Gaudi, I posted about in a thread a few days ago. It promises to be a good read about von Lettow-Vorbeck's campaign in Africa. The other book is one I've had my eye on since it was published in 2014 but only now got around to purchasing, and that is 'Tigers in the Ardennes: The 501st Heavy SS Tank Battalion in the Battle of the Bulge' by Greg Walden. It is a Kampfgruppe Peiper related item relating specifically to the King Tiger tanks with the KG and their actions with the spearhead. It is well illustrated and detailed about the actual individual tanks. It is a typical Schiffer publication on heavy gloss stock, with pictured boards and DJ. It is 140 pages and a good addition to the 'Duel in the Mist' volumes. -- Al

I started "American Lion" by Jon Meachan about the presidency of Andrew Jackson. It is not a great book because it skips around to dizzying effect, but a lot of startling similarities to the current president who by coincidence just recently visited Jackson's home and grave at the Hermitage near Nashville.

I'm two books into the "Expanse" series of sci-fi novels, the series that inspired SyFy Channel's series. The TV series has diverged from the novels on some relatively series plot lines, but both are good on their own. But I took a quick break from the series to read General McMaster's "Dereliction of Duty." I never much liked LBJ before, but I really think he was a despicably rotten bastard now. And McNamara and the rest of the brainiacs Kennedy recruited were all far too smart for their own good, and rather arrogant because of it.

Prost!
Brad

Fellas,

I am at the half way point of Hitlers Children by Gerhard Rempel. This was a dissertation to that went to book and is extremely hard to follow due to all the players and SS, A-SS, RFD, W-SS and yaddi-da SS organizations involved. But, I think after reading it I will have a clear understanding of how german kids lost their innocence and independence by a regime that tried to hail them, but in turn failed them...miserably.

John from Texas

Users who are viewing this thread

Back