What are the Forum members reading (3 Viewers)

I'm reading "The Sack of Panama"The exploits of Captain Henry Morgan.
Mark

book 52.jpg

I'm reading "DEATH TO THE FRENCH"a 1932 novel of the Peninsular War during the Napoleonic Wars, written by C. S. Forester, the author of the Horatio Hornblower novels.

death to french.jpg

The novel relates the adventures of a British rifleman of the 95th Regiment of Foot who is cut off from his regiment when the Allied army retreats behind the Lines of Torres Vedras. He is forced to survive for several months in territory that has been devastated by the Allies and occupied by the French. With some help from a few local Portuguese, Rifleman Dodd wages guerrilla warfare against the French.

The story is told from both the perspective of Dodd and the Frenchmen he is fighting. Its picture of the hero's resolution and devotion to duty in dangerous circumstances caused it to be put on the official reading list endorsed by the Commandant of the United States Marine Corps.

It's great read :)

John

Haven't read it but this one looks interesting:

World War II: Infographics tells the story of the great conflict through graphic design. The mass of data available about World War II has never been as large as it is now, yet it has become extraordinarily complicated to interpret it in a meaningful way, and to share that analysis with the public. Infographics allow data to be comprehensible to the general reader while still satisfying demands for the rigorous approach of a historian.
The result is breathtaking. For the first time, it is possible to easily connect the dots between various interrelated aspects of World War II that were previously examined separately. Encompassing the conflict from its roots to aftermath, this book covers more than sixty themes, including arms production, Operation Barbarossa, how America took back the Pacific, and the Nazi concentration-camp system. The result is an extraordinary new approach to World War II, which is sure to appeal to those looking for an overview of the war and to history buffs alike.

https://www.penguinbookshop.com/book/9780500022924

Reading, "Last Call for Liberty: How America’s Genius for Freedom Has Become Its Greatest Threat", by Os Guinness. Recommend it.

Finally got around to reading Stephen King's sequel to 'The Shining', 'Doctor Sleep'. It picks up the story of Danny Torrance after the destruction of the Overlook Hotel. Wasn't quite as good as the original (but what is?), but it was a worthwhile read for those that like King. I find King really hit or miss. I find his early stuff is mainly hit, as in 'The Shining', "Salem's Lot', 'Different Seasons', but I also liked his more recent '11/22/63', a very interesting take on the Kennedy killing. -- Al

Finally got around to reading Stephen King's sequel to 'The Shining', 'Doctor Sleep'. It picks up the story of Danny Torrance after the destruction of the Overlook Hotel. Wasn't quite as good as the original (but what is?), but it was a worthwhile read for those that like King. I find King really hit or miss. I find his early stuff is mainly hit, as in 'The Shining', "Salem's Lot', 'Different Seasons', but I also liked his more recent '11/22/63', a very interesting take on the Kennedy killing. -- Al

Al, I couldn't put down 11/22/63. I think that's my favorite King novel. Mr Mercedes is also excellent. It's the first of a trilogy with the same characters. The first is the best of the series. Chris

Al, I couldn't put down 11/22/63. I think that's my favorite King novel. Mr Mercedes is also excellent. It's the first of a trilogy with the same characters. The first is the best of the series. Chris
Chris, I really enjoyed 11/22/63 too. Leave it to King to apply that whole Groundhog's Day type concept to a time travel thriller. Haven't read Mr. Mercedes yet. There are several King books I haven't gotten too as he very prolific. Just more books for the 'to be read' pile.:wink2: -- Al

I'm a long time King fan. His earlier works were great but 11/22/63 was a real stand out among his more recent books. I collect King books and the market is incredible. He is wildly popular. Folks line up overnight for his book signings (which are increasingly rare). If you haven't read "The Dead Zone" that is an overlooked King book with some overlapping themes with 11/22.

I'm a long time King fan. His earlier works were great but 11/22/63 was a real stand out among his more recent books. I collect King books and the market is incredible. He is wildly popular. Folks line up overnight for his book signings (which are increasingly rare). If you haven't read "The Dead Zone" that is an overlooked King book with some overlapping themes with 11/22.
Dead Zone is one of those books I classify as 'early' King and which I found very good. As far as collecting, his early first editions are valuable, the later books, not so much, unless you're talking the small specialty press editions that are available (usually big dollars) or his signed books, which always bring big dollars. I especially like his short story collections like Night Shift and Different Seasons. -- Al

Dead Zone is one of those books I classify as 'early' King and which I found very good. As far as collecting, his early first editions are valuable, the later books, not so much, unless you're talking the small specialty press editions that are available (usually big dollars) or his signed books, which always bring big dollars. I especially like his short story collections like Night Shift and Different Seasons. -- Al

If you like King's early stuff, you should try Robert McCammon. I was shocked when I discovered him. He has been writing for decades and has a number of great books including Swan Song (a bit like The Stand), Boy's Life, Mine, and the great Matthew Corbett series set in 18th Century NYC. Probably the closest to King in terms of longevity and subject matter.

https://www.robertmccammon.com/books/

If you like King's early stuff, you should try Robert McCammon. I was shocked when I discovered him. He has been writing for decades and has a number of great books including Swan Song (a bit like The Stand), Boy's Life, Mine, and the great Matthew Corbett series set in 18th Century NYC. Probably the closest to King in terms of longevity and subject matter.

https://www.robertmccammon.com/books/
Actually, I read some of McCammon's stuff many moons ago, They Thirst and The Night Boat, at the same time I was reading heavily in King's stuff. Found them fine but I just stuck with King. Maybe I'll revisit McCammon as it has been 35 years since I read anything by him. Thanks for the suggestion. -- Al

Actually, I read some of McCammon's stuff many moons ago, They Thirst and The Night Boat, at the same time I was reading heavily in King's stuff. Found them fine but I just stuck with King. Maybe I'll revisit McCammon as it has been 35 years since I read anything by him. Thanks for the suggestion. -- Al

McCammon wrote some campy stuff when he first started out but really hit his stride. I would say he has even been the better author in comparison to King over the last couple decades. "Blue World" is an outstanding collection of short stories. "Swan Song," "Mine," "Usher's Passing," and "The Listener" are great reads. His Matthew Corbett series is outstanding. The first book in that series is a bit long but it really picks up and becomes addictive.

The Institute by Stephen King. Early into the book and haven't decided how well I like it yet. Chris

Re-reading "The Hobbit" again, for the umpteenth time. I caught a glimpse of one of the horrible, horrible movies last weekend, and I need to erase it from my mind's eye with the original story.

Peter Jackson should stick to producing high-quality injection-molded kits of WW I aircraft in 1/32 scale.

Prost!
Brad

All,

Went on a cruise for Turkey week and FINALLY got to sit down and read. I took in "The Lost World of Quintana Roo" by Michele Peisell. In 1958, at the age of 21, Frenchman Michele Piesell trekked 200 and some miles by foot and discovered 14 Mayan Ruins that had not been discovered by archeologists. His journey ended with him thrown in jail in Belize. During his trek he encountered Bandits, Indigenous Indians, the harsh conditions of the Yucatan Peninsula and general humanity before it became a tourist destination.

It is an incredible read at 300 pages and I highly recommend it for those of you curious about that part of the world prior to what we know now as the Mexican Riviera.

John from Texas

All,

Just finished Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut. I'm still digesting it and may have to read it again. I mean I get it and the descriptions of the bombing in Dresden are horrific, but there is so much ancillary stories abound that it was hard to focus on just one. But, I did enjoy it.

John from Texas

All,

Just finished Confusion by Stefan Zweig. This is the fifth book I have read by Zweig, the previous ones were Beware of Pity, Post Office Girl, Amok and my favorite The Royal Game. I have become a fan of Stefan Zweigs intense novellas that delve into the minds of the characters. Apparently, he was homies with Freud and the two got on very well.

Confusion was very good, but I still find my self drawn to the drama of his short tour de force novella The Royal Game.

John from Texas

Reading through the Poldark novels currently. Pretty much a soap opera, but I’m enjoying them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back