What are the Forum members reading (2 Viewers)

Just started The Spanish Civil War by Paul Preston. Good stuff. I hope to follow up with Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell.
Thanks,
MikeNick

For Independence Day, I re-read David McCullough's "1776", and I'm wrapping up David Hackett Fischer's "Washington's Crossing."

Prost!
Brad

Reading a good one, 'The Ghost That Died at Sundra Strait', by W.G. Winslow. It is the story of the USS Houston, a heavy cruiser and flagship of the US Asiatic Fleet at the start of WW2. The Japanese reported sinking the Houston on at least four occasions, but she kept surviving, earning the nickname The Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast. Houston was finally sent to the bottom on 2-28-42, along with HMAS Perth, in a battle against overwhelming odds at Sundra Strait. The book is 244 pages, published by Naval Institute Press in 1984. -- Al

Reading a good one, 'The Ghost That Died at Sundra Strait', by W.G. Winslow. It is the story of the USS Houston, a heavy cruiser and flagship of the US Asiatic Fleet at the start of WW2. The Japanese reported sinking the Houston on at least four occasions, but she kept surviving, earning the nickname The Galloping Ghost of the Java Coast. Houston was finally sent to the bottom on 2-28-42, along with HMAS Perth, in a battle against overwhelming odds at Sundra Strait. The book is 244 pages, published by Naval Institute Press in 1984. -- Al
Found this book has whetted my interest in the US Asiatic Fleet, a subject I have only passing knowledge about. I ordered 3 other books on the subject to round out my reading about the fleet. One, "Ship of Ghosts: The Story of the USS Houston, FDR's Legendary Lost Cruiser, and the Epic Saga of Her Survivors" by James Hornfischer, centers, like Winslow's book, on the USS Houston while the other 2 I ordered are more specific history's of the fleet itself. I got the Hornfischer book because I have liked hisother works on the US Navy and I'm sure I'll like this one although it covers similar ground to Winslow's book. Winslow is also the author of one of the other books I got, "The Fleet the God's Forgot: The US Asiatic Fleet in World War II". Published in 1982 by Naval Institute Press, it is 327 pages with some illustrations. The last book I purchased is called " In The Highest Event Tragic: The Sacrifice of the US Asiatic Fleet in the East Indies during World War II" by Donald M. Kehn, Jr. Published in 2017 by Potomac Books, it is 513 pages with illustrations. This book arrived first and I am several chapters in and am very impressed with it. The author happens to be the official historian for the USS Houston (CA-30) Survivors Association and his book promises to be most comprehensive. -- Al

I just finished Victor Davis Hanson's book on the changes that the Greeks' way of conducting wars during the Peloponnesian War, "A War Like No Other." An excellent analysis, and I recommend it to fans of Ancient Greek history, and history fans generally.

Now I'm in the middle of Hanson's "The Second World Wars", in which he applies a similar analysis to the causes of World War II, and the changes that took place. Also an excellent analysis and recommended.

Prost!
Brad

Just reread Conquest of the Sahara by Douglas Porch.Read it about 20 years ago.
Mark

DP.jpg

I just finished Victor Davis Hanson's book on the changes that the Greeks' way of conducting wars during the Peloponnesian War, "A War Like No Other." An excellent analysis, and I recommend it to fans of Ancient Greek history, and history fans generally.

Now I'm in the middle of Hanson's "The Second World Wars", in which he applies a similar analysis to the causes of World War II, and the changes that took place. Also an excellent analysis and recommended.

Prost!
Brad
Remember when I read Hanson's 'The Western Way of War: Infantry Battle in Classical Greece' some 30 years ago and being very impressed with it. I have been a fan of Hanson's ever since. Have 'A War Like No Other' in my reading quay but just haven't squeezed it in yet. -- Al

Big fan of Porch. Really like his work on the French Army in 'March to the Marne', as well as his books on the Sahara, Morocco, and the Foreign Legion. -- Al
I have them all. ^&grin
Mark

"We Germans" by Alexander Starritt. An interesting and well-written fictional account of a grandfather's attempt to explain his experiences on the Eastern Front to his grandson.

Twilight of the Gods, Ian Toll. This is the 3rd volume of the Pacific War trilogy. Been waiting for this since the last volume was released in 2015. Winner of the SE Morrison prize for naval history.

Purchased a good copy of the 1978 Most Secret War, 1939-1945 by RV Jones, RAF science officer. He discovered the radio beam system the Luftwaffe employed to guide their bombers in 1940. At 600+ pages, should provide a lot of details. Chris

Twilight of the Gods, Ian Toll. This is the 3rd volume of the Pacific War trilogy. Been waiting for this since the last volume was released in 2015. Winner of the SE Morrison prize for naval history.

Purchased a good copy of the 1978 Most Secret War, 1939-1945 by RV Jones, RAF science officer. He discovered the radio beam system the Luftwaffe employed to guide their bombers in 1940. At 600+ pages, should provide a lot of details. Chris
Thanks for the info on the Toll book. Didn't know it was out. -- Al

Thanks for the info on the Toll book. Didn't know it was out. -- Al

Just released Al, originally scheduled to come out in 2018. I got 33% off publisher's price for ordering pre-publication. :smile2:

Was visiting relatives in VA and passed the many roadside historical markers. Stopped to read a few, but going too fast or no where to pull over for many. Always found these to be of interest during travels. Bought a copy of A Guidebook To Virginia's Historical Markers. Also have a copy of one for Kentucky.
Chris

Just released Al, originally scheduled to come out in 2018. I got 33% off publisher's price for ordering pre-publication. :smile2:

Was visiting relatives in VA and passed the many roadside historical markers. Stopped to read a few, but going too fast or no where to pull over for many. Always found these to be of interest during travels. Bought a copy of A Guidebook To Virginia's Historical Markers. Also have a copy of one for Kentucky.
Chris

I understand that, I have the same for France, equivalent to a 24 volumes encyclopedia ( almost ...)
I fact when travelling in France with my wife, we had always in the car trunk a big box with the books for the regions we decided to go through, the problem with countries like that in Europe is that you can stop every 5Km because there are so many thinks to see; a very small town like Beaunes 100 of buildings from XII, XIV,XV,XVI,XVII ??? centuries all wit History ( with a big H, yes ) behind, Every small villages you cross have churchs, old postal relay, wash houses, chapels, farms dating sometime 800 years back . Nîsmes, Arles, Orange, Vaizon with old roman houses, amphiteater, bath houses.....Museum everywere and castles .

Perigord region more than 1000 castles . It is said that when God placed castles here and there, he was so tired when he arrived in Perigord that he simply spill the rest of his sack there ...
Visiting Rome ( Italy ) it's like wandering in a open air museum
If you ever come in Brussels and go to visit the Grand Place,take a folding chair with you and contemplate . Take your time for the Sablon Place, between the Garden, the churchs, the worlds best chocolate makers,the old building and more than 100 Antiquarians shops ( leave first your wallet in the Hotel safe ). There is one selling antiques from Egypt,Roman empires, Assyrain sometimes only 2 or 3 pieces in the shop )
A small one I love selling only glass vases from Lalique and some chryselephantine statues and It's like visiting 50 museums the same day ... or 2 days or 3 ... or ...

This is to say that I understand very well peoples travelling with a book as a guide . And even like that you just forget what is on your left, to busy looking right ....

Good travels my friends

I understand that, I have the same for France, equivalent to a 24 volumes encyclopedia ( almost ...)
I fact when travelling in France with my wife, we had always in the car trunk a big box with the books for the regions we decided to go through, the problem with countries like that in Europe is that you can stop every 5Km because there are so many thinks to see; a very small town like Beaunes 100 of buildings from XII, XIV,XV,XVI,XVII ??? centuries all wit History ( with a big H, yes ) behind, Every small villages you cross have churchs, old postal relay, wash houses, chapels, farms dating sometime 800 years back . Nîsmes, Arles, Orange, Vaizon with old roman houses, amphiteater, bath houses.....Museum everywere and castles .

Perigord region more than 1000 castles . It is said that when God placed castles here and there, he was so tired when he arrived in Perigord that he simply spill the rest of his sack there ...
Visiting Rome ( Italy ) it's like wandering in a open air museum
If you ever come in Brussels and go to visit the Grand Place,take a folding chair with you and contemplate . Take your time for the Sablon Place, between the Garden, the churchs, the worlds best chocolate makers,the old building and more than 100 Antiquarians shops ( leave first your wallet in the Hotel safe ). There is one selling antiques from Egypt,Roman empires, Assyrain sometimes only 2 or 3 pieces in the shop )
A small one I love selling only glass vases from Lalique and some chryselephantine statues and It's like visiting 50 museums the same day ... or 2 days or 3 ... or ...

This is to say that I understand very well peoples travelling with a book as a guide . And even like that you just forget what is on your left, to busy looking right ....

Good travels my friends

It can almost be overwhelming at times trying to see the historical places in Europe. We tried to plan/map and research our trips to maximize our time. Every small town is like going back in time a couple of hundred yrs. It is a wonder land of beauty. Chris

The Quiet Americans: Four CIA Spies at the Dawn of the Cold War by Scott Anderson(author of the excellent Lawrence in Arabia)

and

Richard Sorge: An Impeccable Spy, Stalin's Master Agent by Owen Matthews

on order from Amazon(Sept.15-publisher's release date): Agent Sonya: Moscow's Most Daring Wartime Spy by Ben Macintyre(author of books about agent Zigzag, Philby, SAS, etc.).

Debatable whether Sonya or Ursula Kuczynski, aka Ruth Werner was the "most daring" spy in WWII but she was certainly one of the best-and one of the most successful. Born in Berlin(where she died in 2000)
of an upper middle class Jewish family, she was recruited by Sorge, her lover, while both were in Shanghai in the early 30s(he gave her the codename "Sonya").

The Kuczynski family during happier days in Berlin before the war(Ursula back row, far right):

KuczyFam.jpg

Below are pages from her declassified MI5 file(from the National Archies/UK):

Cover of MI5's Rote Kapelle dossier. Ursula was a member
of the "Lucy Spy Ring"; the Swiss branch, and also the
Rote Drei branch of the Rote Kapelle or "Red Orchestra".

MI5covr.jpg

Ursula1.jpg

Ursula2.jpg

(Wonder who will play her in a future film?-anyway, what a life!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back