What has the K&C NEW RELEASES done to you ? (1 Viewer)

What has it done to me?? I have had to prioritize. There is so much good stuff in the next two months and I don't have room or money for all of it. I'm just back from Belgium (and a way too brief visitto waterloo) and really excited for the dragoons....

The deed is done - the White Flag has been raised - the quest for the US NAVY Range has ended. :(

Items have been listed on Ebay.

Our retreat has begun.

I'm waiting to see what the latest Market Garden range is like & if it not to my liking I will sell all my K&C stuff & just stick to 1/35 scale witch is better looking & better value ;)

The deed is done - the White Flag has been raised - the quest for the US NAVY Range has ended. :(

Items have been listed on Ebay.

Our retreat has begun.

Think of it as a tactical withdrawal Ron,you are merely regrouping to strike somewhere else;)

Rob

I have an admission to make.............. I've only recently started to purchase K&C figures.

Don't glare at me or give me an astonished look. The exchange rate and dealer extras don't help and I've almost given up on certain nameless plastic manufacturers. I also never seriously considered the metal types of figures because of possible fragility.

I'm a WWII man so I am most impressed with the newest DDay offerings ie the bunker (WS078) and the DD figures. THe release of single/ three figure groupings is helpful for my budget and so I have also purchased a few FOB figures.

I'll be saving my money (and pestering my dealer) .................

cheers

Patton

I am one of those collector's that tries to ignore the new lines in the hopes that it will somehow keep me from buying them. I always fail. The K&C WWI stuff was the worst. Just too good to pass up.

I am one of those collector's that tries to ignore the new lines in the hopes that it will somehow keep me from buying them. I always fail. The K&C WWI stuff was the worst. Just too good to pass up.

Yup, I was there you bought into that one big time:D:D

Dedicate numbers on the dart board for the future sets I need. The more expensive ones being doubles, triples and bulleyes. Bottle of Jim Beam and darts. Problem solved.

:D:D Love it

No nothing I have seen has caused me to refocus. I made a list of historical periods I am interested in and have stuck with it. A couple years back I sold off my Eastern Front and Iwo sets as I evaluated them against the other periods I was interested in and stuck with it.

I advise people

1.) Buy to your display space- buy the pieces you can reasonably expect to display. No offense Ron or to anyone else buy why spend all that money on something that is going to sit in the closet? To me, it's kind of like spending $100 or so for a box.

2.) Buy that piece that you GOTTA Have- no, this doesn't happen every month- there is probably one piece that comes out each year that you must have.

3.) Buy from the retired list- I think it is wise to sit back and see where the new releases are going and then you can make better decisions rather than being impulsive trying to be the first guy on the block to have the new set only to hock it on ebay next year.

Cheers
CC

No nothing I have seen has caused me to refocus. I made a list of historical periods I am interested in and have stuck with it. A couple years back I sold off my Eastern Front and Iwo sets as I evaluated them against the other periods I was interested in and stuck with it.

I advise people

1.) Buy to your display space- buy the pieces you can reasonably expect to display. No offense Ron or to anyone else buy why spend all that money on something that is going to sit in the closet? To me, it's kind of like spending $100 or so for a box.

2.) Buy that piece that you GOTTA Have- no, this doesn't happen every month- there is probably one piece that comes out each year that you must have.

3.) Buy from the retired list- I think it is wise to sit back and see where the new releases are going and then you can make better decisions rather than being impulsive trying to be the first guy on the block to have the new set only to hock it on ebay next year.

Cheers
CC

Chris

I agree - thats why I am dropping all the SOHK diorama items I have purchased in the last year since the US NAVY stuff was released. It has been sitting in a closet and I am not sure where I would have displayed the US NAVY figures if I started buying them.

Sometimes you start buying figures thinking - well if I don't buy them as they retire - they will be hard to get later. Thats what I was doing with SOHK, FoB and MG. So I have cut one of those lines now and still thinking on the others.

Ron

For me, I don't sell anything. A while back I decided I didn't like the original kc fj's, the green devils. I boxed them away and didn't look at them for years. Then one day I took a second look at them, decided they looked pretty good and now they are displayed with the rest of my kc stuff. Also from day one I didn't like that old Arnhem single machinegunner. Then I read from NJJA that the figure is worth big bucks. What I'm trying to say is that, today you might want to sell something only to regret it in the future. As for new releases, I plan to buy the Cromwell tank and one or two sets of Canadians or British. However, in the past I planned to get only the two jeeps from the mg series and ended up with 2/3's of that line. Oh well.

I only have been buying particular figures of the new K&C releases for the last 6 months from the Alamo and the Confederate Civil War lines. I'm not expanding my K&C Napoleonic collection with the latest releases nor did I purchase any of the Red Lancers. I'm satisfied with the Black Watch, Guards, Scots Greys and Cuirassiers that I have and it makes a nice diorama. I don't collect post-1900 periods so, that saves me a lot of $$ and space. My TS budget is still going to be very limited this year and I will see what happens next year. I am buying all the Britains matte Zulu War releases as they come out and select John Jenkins sets and slowly buying some FL Napoleonic Guards.

I advise people

Cheers
CC

Thats a sound strategy imo and similar to what i,m trying to follow ,
every now and then though the scatter gun makes an apearance and
I buy something that leaves me scratching my head :eek:.

Chris

I agree - thats why I am dropping all the SOHK diorama items I have purchased in the last year since the US NAVY stuff was released. It has been sitting in a closet and I am not sure where I would have displayed the US NAVY figures if I started buying them.

Sometimes you start buying figures thinking - well if I don't buy them as they retire - they will be hard to get later. Thats what I was doing with SOHK, FoB and MG. So I have cut one of those lines now and still thinking on the others.

Ron

I think we have all fallen into the 'get it before it disappears' trap. Now I only buy retired sets if I intended to get them in the first place, that way I don't end up with 'orphan sets' that don't fit into my current display themes.

I don't have any MG or SOHK sets, and only got the Stug and Mark IV from the FoB range as those two suit most dio themes. I was tempted to get some of the retired US Ranger sets and maybe some Brit or Canadian sets to go with the new Landing Craft. However I decided to use several current 1st Infantry Division (Big Red 1) Sets that can be found in the DD and BBA ranges - these sets also fit into later WWII dios.

Make me safe (again) my money waiting something else. Nonetheless it was a great release and I am happy for the Canadians who patiently waited for that .

Cheers

Ron

Hey Ron

To me, that is some of the benefit of being on this forum- I can collect vicariously the lines I cannot realistically afford through everyone else- take Harry's SOHK and other Asian dioramas, Brad and Louis's airplanes, Doug's St. Pete figures and the Lt's Zulu's-etc- the list goes on.

The trick here is to "Not covet thy neighbors wife" :D and start seeing everyone else's collection and start thinking "Man, I need to get that too" :D Once you do that, you jump full throttle on a sled down a slippery slope.

The hardest one to walk away from has been the Eight Army range- especially the DAK- The selection of AFV's in that line were among the best quality wise and certainly pricewise. Another range I considered jumping on was the Imperial Chinese but compared them against my interest in the Egyptians and the Egyptians won out.

I collect Market Garden figures to pose as random British Airborne in my Normandy "Breakout" diorama- I take some liberties there admittedly.

The crusaders are a beautiful line but I really don't know anything about them so again, I collect vicariously through some of the neat dios the guys do on here.

The only way I could see myself ever buying any of the US Navy figures is if he releases a small subset of modern Seal team 6 figures that I could work into my OIF diorama.

Take her easy,
CC

It has made me realise ,i made the right decision in march this year,to exclusively collect king and country figures and vehicles,my bank account doesnt agree tho,but it never did even before my decision.My collectors motto has always been "Collecting is not life and death,its more important than that " LOL

Gentle Friends,

I cannot comment on the impact new releases has had on me without commenting on the corresponding impact of retirements. The system of releases and retirements, while logical and understandable, has become a major frustration for me. Let me explain.

I have always deeply appreciated diversity within my collection and my purchasing patterns have demonstrated this fact. However, as my collection has evolved in recent years, I have narrowed the majority of my purchases to the following five lines:

1.) Delhi Durbar: W. Britains, Marlborough, Beau Geste, and William Hocker
2.) Samurai: Monarch Regalia
3.) Ancient Egyptians: King and Country
4.) Battle of the Bulge: King and Country
5.) Napoleonics: King and Country

The rapid releases of K&C items we have seen in recent months has usually been accompanied by a large number of retirements. The impact of K&C retirements has resulted in me spending most of my monthly budget on King and Country items as I seek to obtain them before they disappear. However, by spending my budget on King and Country items, I find I am rarely able to add figures and sets to the other lines that interest me. And, therein lies my frustration. While I very much appreciate the King and Country figures, I do not want them to dominate my collecting behavior at the expense of all other things. Therefore,...

I am dangerously close to discontinuing the addition of any more K&C BoB sets and any more K&C Napoleonics to my collection. If it were possible for these items to remain on the market for a much longer period of time, I might be able to manage my budget in such a manner as to obtain all the figures I desire from all five lines listed above. Since my desire to pursue five lines seems unrealistic at this time, I may soon decide to reduce my major purchases to the following three lines:

1.) Dehli Durbar
2.) Monarch Regalia Samurai
3.) K&C Ancient Egyptians

In short, the rapid releases and rapid retirements cause me to become more specific in my choice of purchases. Unlike the collectors who fully embrace the King and Country experience and reduce their expenditures to only K&C items and/or to only certain K&C lines, I will reduce the number of K&C lines I collect. If I implement this action it will be with a certain degree of sadness, but I want to remain loyal to the areas of my greatest passions. To do otherwise would only frustrate me all the more.

Warmest personal regards,

Pat

Pat, that is again an excellent e-mail.

I think one of the compounding factors is that you seem to be a completist, meaning you desire to acquire each and every item in your line.

I am unfortunately like that, too. I admire collectors who are selective within their lines and are able to resist the marketing mechanism of the model manufacturers (it is not KC alone). :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back