When did you start collecting? (1 Viewer)

When did you start collecting toy soldiers?

Votes: 12 12.4%

Votes: 5 5.2%

Votes: 6 6.2%

Votes: 6 6.2%

Votes: 7 7.2%

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 2 2.1%

Votes: 7 7.2%
  • 1995-1999

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Pre 1999

Votes: 43 44.3%

• Total voters
I started collecting 'Toy Soldiers' about 1989, these were the traditional gloss style made by the likes of Dorset Soldiers, Bastion, Wessex and Old Britains which I used to strip and repaint. But I started painting soldiers during the mid 1970's when I got involved in the wargaming side of the hobby. Over the years my tastes have changed to the point of selling all the wargaming figures for gloss style toy soldiers and then these in turn were replaced by matte style figures by Britains and Conte in 2000, I started collecting K&C in 2003 and these have replaced all my previous ranges. Apart from the RHA set for Brad I haven't done any painting for a number of years now.

Jeff

My dad had been in the military so I liked all things military. I received my first figures from my mom when I was about 4. I still have two of them that didn't disappear in my sandbox or during moves, I think they are Heyde plastic lifeguards and guards, about 60mm.

I used to see the Britains lead but my parents, aware of the dangers of lead, only initially would get me plastics. I still have the whole Deetail, swoppet, some Eyes Right ranges. When I was about 14, much begging was able to get some Britains lead figures which I just displayed. My collecting went on hold while I went to university and when the lead became hard to find. But I soon got back into collecting, and new figures, when Britains started the limited editions in 1983 and the Collector's Club in 1993.

In 1991 I started using the Internet, later Ebay, although not much available initially, they gradually again gave me access to the old lead ones again, since all the antique, hobby and toy shops that used to carry them had gradually stopped carrying them or worse, closed through the '80s-90s.

Now so much is available, it's just a matter of deciding how much I want (can afford) to spend!:D

My dad had been in the military so I liked all things military. I received my first figures from my mom when I was about 4. I still have two of them that didn't disappear in my sandbox or during moves, I think they are Heyde plastic lifeguards and guards, about 60mm.
Now so much is available, it's just a matter of deciding how much I want (can afford) to spend!:D

That sounds similiar in some ways to the track I followed. The figures went only briefly into the backround during teen years & early 20's, but even then I would occaisonally have them out, when no one was about :D. With the advent of action figures & adult toy collecting it is somewhat different today then back then. Back then I think people were more likely to give you a sidelong glance or slightly mocking grin, if they found you with your armies unzipped so to speak.

But at some point, I decided I didn't care what anyone thought & still don't. As it happens, I think we just actually led the collectible pack. Fewer & fewer even blink an eye any more, if you collect Hot wheels cars, or Pez, or He-Man figures. And I find many as many adults as kids sometimes in certain sections of the store toy departments.

Those plastic 60mm guards I would guess are some other company. Maybe an English company like Charbens or Cherilea ? A few makers of metal figures briefly made plastic figures out of the same molds, but I don't believe I ever read that the German maker Heyde did. What I have read is Heyde was destroyed completely in the Fire-Bombing of Dresden, late in WWII. But it is not impossible molds were salvaged & that would be very interesting, as part of the history of Toy Soldiers goes. Most Heyde figures were on the smaller side I believe (50mm ?) and plain in design but they had some really marvelous sets.

I started casting in The late eighties I think. In the early 90's my parents bought some Imperial and Trophy figures for a couple of birthdays. Then back to toy trains and a few single figures as many figures were beyond my reach financialy speaking. Then about 2004 Michael and Mizhka Hall were selling figures at a flea market. Well that is all it took.

I started collecting again when I was cleaning out my mother's garage and came across my old GI Joe and Best of the West (Jonny West) figures in 1991. I kept those and then started to remember my old MARX cowboys and indians. I kept serching my mother's garage but never found them. THen in 1993, a neighbor of mind informed me that he was going to sell some of his stuff at a toy show and wanted me to help him sell his stuff. I went to the show and saw so many people involved that I did not care if anyone knew that I wanted to get back into toy soldiers. He was a Civil War buff and he showed me his ROger's Rangers set from Barzso when the set arrived. I was hooked. Shortly thereafter I found COnte on the Internet and I bought all of the Alamo sets. (one at a time of course). Since then, I have tried to stay away from WWII as there is so much but it is hard. THe ALamo is my favorite but a collect other stuff too.

I start collecting in late ’83-bought a friend’s childhood Britains collection then started buying mostly from mail-order dealers-still have some of their old price lists.

I started end of 2004. Hadn't even thought of it then one day I visited the toy dept at Harrods in London and saw the Mounted French Chasseur a Cheval (NA25) along with the Mounted French 3rd Line Grenadier Officer (NA23) and was blown away with the colour and detail. Hooked on Napoleonics from there.

Kiwi

A long time ago in a Galaxy Far Far Away...................:p

In the 1960's the Sears / Marx Plastic Toy Soldiers Sets was my big big thing. I remember as a young lad getting my hands on that Sears Christmas Catalog and tearing through it to find that new Marx Set !

I had the Civil War, American Rev. / Liberty Tree, Cowboys and Indians and the Guns of Navarrone ! Man were those the days.

I also loved those little cheap green Vietnam Plastic Toy Soldiers you buy in a bag. I had great battles in the backyard which included firecrackers and gasoline flaming dirt !! :eek:

Great fun. :)

All of them were lost to the forces of a house cleaning Mom !! :mad:

Now fast forward to 2000 - I was in Bucks County, PA - visiting my girlfriend's sister and her family for Christmas. Had to get out of the house - I am sure you know what I mean...ugh ! - so jumped in the car and drove to Washington's Crossing at the Delaware River.

Checked out the scene and then went into the gift shop and there on a table was a display of King and Country 1776 figures. NY Regt., PA Regt., Linclonshire British and Fusliers all together. There was a glow about the table as I drew near. I picked up the figures and in an instant was transported back to younger years in the backyard and in the dirt ! ;)

They were beautiful - they were expensive...$19.00 a figure...hahahaha :rolleyes: - Sorry got lost there for a moment (no slight intended Andy ;) )

So I bought 10 - a mixture if I remember and brought them back to the house - where in an instant my girlfriend said... you paid what??? Anyway - she was happy that I was happy and everyone left me alone with my Soldiers. :) Ah those were the days...with money to burn :)

Once I got back to Florida - I start searching the net for King and Country - then found dealers. My first Brick and Motar Shop visit was with Tim Tyler - Troops of Time. Tim had just opened his store not to long before I came and I was his first out of Jacksonville and County customer. I drove 1 hour and 45 minutes - each way - to just to visit his place and buy toy soldiers.

Continuing my search of the net for other dealers - I found Treefrog in 2002. Bet you dont remember that Sharon and Peter - and proceeded to buy lots of Rough Riders from them. I also started to keep track of all the dealers for King and Country I could find in the USA - as well as subscribe to the Toy Soldier Mag.

Since then its been a great ride.

Ron

As far as "collecting" only a month or so ago. I was a military nut as a child - coming from a family of grunts - but was talked out of the service by said grunts (and asthma which made it a mute point). I still have a fair number of the Airfix and Matchbox plastic soldiers from my youth but have passed them on to my sons. I have always been a history nut but spent my limited funds on guitars, amplifiers and baseball/softball bats the last few years until I stumbled upon diecast aircraft and armor.

I had a lot of fun with aircraft and armor but toy soldiers have always held a special place in my heart since my younger brother's first few months of life in a hospital which had a large toy soldier display. I recently stumbled upon the newest offerings - I wasn't a big fan of the glossy figures as I was always a dull coat nut when I built models - so the latest K&C pulled me in to the hobby. My 6 year old son is a budding historian who loves to help me choose our purchases and the soldiers have grabbed him just as they grabbed me.

Many of my aircraft and armor - but not all - are headed out the door to make room for my new affliction. It feels like home. :D

As far as "collecting" only a month or so ago. I was a military nut as a child - coming from a family of grunts - but was talked out of the service by said grunts (and asthma which made it a mute point). I still have a fair number of the Airfix and Matchbox plastic soldiers from my youth but have passed them on to my sons. I have always been a history nut but spent my limited funds on guitars, amplifiers and baseball/softball bats the last few years until I stumbled upon diecast aircraft and armor.

I had a lot of fun with aircraft and armor but toy soldiers have always held a special place in my heart since my younger brother's first few months of life in a hospital which had a large toy soldier display. I recently stumbled upon the newest offerings - I wasn't a big fan of the glossy figures as I was always a dull coat nut when I built models - so the latest K&C pulled me in to the hobby. My 6 year old son is a budding historian who loves to help me choose our purchases and the soldiers have grabbed him just as they grabbed me.

Many of my aircraft and armor - but not all - are headed out the door to make room for my new affliction. It feels like home. :D

It's like K&C have perfected something along the lines of the elixir in Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. One flick through the K&C catalogue and "POOF" instant slavering at the mouth miniature figurine collector.......:D:D:D
(Okay, I ought to have picked a better word than POOF)

Cheers
H

Just a matter of procedure.
Why are there two similar categories namely 1995-1999 and a pre 1999 category? Surely the two coincide.
Regards
Damian

Good point Damian. I think Pete meant to type pre-1995. We can amend it but now the results could be skewed :eek:. Pete was a statistics major at Northwestern University--I'm not sure his brain can tolerate faulty research methods :p. I will mention to him that the poll needs to be amended and he can sort it out himself.

In the meantime I have very much enjoyed all your stories of how you got into the hobby and what drew you in.

Here's mine:
I was a Precision scale model tractor dealer (1/16 scale die-cast antique tractor replicas--extremely detailed and accurete many were comprised of over 350 individual parts. They were very high-end collectibles--some retired pieces went for over $600 a piece and this was way back in 1999-2003!) and the Precision line was owned by Racing Champions/Ertl. Every once in a while RC2 would send me a catalog full of toy soldiers (They owned W. Britain at the time) and I would chuck it in the recycling bin wondering how there could be a market for toy soldiers which I ignorantly assumed flourished and died in the Victorian age.

One day RC2 sent me an offer I couldn't refuse and I as I was also an eBay powerseller at the time I did a Britains search to see if there was any type of a current market for toy soldiers. Lo and behold there was and I quickly learned that selling toy soldiers was way more fun than scale model tractors. For a while I ran two websites plus eBay but eventually sold the tractor site and "retired" from eBay to focus on Treefrog as you know it.

For about the first 3 years I managed to resist the temptation to start my own personal collection ("You are a dealer not a collector, you are a dealer NOT a collector!") but the more I was around these little works of art and "history condensed into 2 1/2 inches" I couldn't resist the allure.

The enthusiasm of the collectors I interacted with on a daily basis was contagious and military miniatures are cool on so many levels--the skill of the sculptors, the painters, the historical and artistic knowledge that goes into each piece, the amazing ability the artisans have to accurately shrink down life-sized people and objects to a few inches tall--it's amazing! I look at a figure or vehicle and it's not just a "miniature work of art" it's a representation of a place in time, a historical event, real people living and dying that experience...it's a way to keep what they fought for, the sacrifice they made putting their "regular" lives on hold or giving them up completely for a cause they felt was worth dying for front and center so that they are not forgotten.
When I look at one small figure I see all this behind it. So many people pay absolutely no attention to what has gone on before them--it is so easy for them to forget, but not only does this do those people in history a great disservice it also does today's world a great disservice as well. I am firmly of the opinion that "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it." These "toy soldiers" are an instant reminder and conversation starter for people to begin remembering.
Wow. Okay, I'm beginning to hear sweeping patriotic music in the background...time to step off the soapbox.:p

Now that Treefrog has a showroom I've been getting the opportunity to show lots of friends and family toy soldiers of all kinds and the feelings I explained above are what I experience as I explain each line. My own personal collection is very small (since technically it's ALL my collection until you buy it ;)). As a former registered nurse the focal point of my personal collection is medical sets, particulary ones with nurse figures. I have finally found a place in my home where my cats don't do battle with them so I think they will stay here in a place of honor while the rest of my miscellaneous figures escape to my office away from the Giant Cat menace.
So there you have it. And thanks again for sharing all your stories. Keep them coming!
Best regards,

Shannon-

thank you for your input- it was a very interesting read from "The First Lady of the Hobby".

Take care-
CC

I first heard of the crack when an Irish comedian called Jimeoin started mentioning the term and he later was in a movie called "The Craic" which gave me the impression that the term was Irish in origin. But I have to say I had no idea what the term meant, as did most other Aussies I guess.

Aye, the Irish Craic.....It's very, very, close to what I meant by the Scottish Crack. Just everyday banter really - but with a (very) sharp edge....:):)
Keep out of those English Theme Pubs now.
Cheers
H

I think it was 98,or 99 not sure. But so far it's been fun. It brings back the little kid in me. I really don't consider myself a collector, that sounds like, must have everything. I buy what I can afford, and only what I like. I guess I am an enthusiast. I have more fun converting and making things. I enjoy reading all the knowledge of History the other members have. I like hearing War stories from former Vets, and hearing opposing opinions of collectors. I just like to keep this fun and enjoying.:)

I did airfix and the like as a kid, but only began collecting in late 2003 - Wittman Tiger and what Mike Neville had left of the Flashjagers was my first buy.

Had seen K&C Arnhem in Hamleys in Regent St, London, and nearly pawned the odd child (joke social services) they were so good - but couldn't afford. Nothing like what I knew to be toy soldiers - never realistic enough for me until I saw these........Love it, just love it...........:D Stress busters.............:cool:

Similar story for me. Had numerous Airfix and Matchbox 1/32 and 1 /72 (+76) as a kid, along with some Britains Deetail. Come 2003, I started fishing around in my parent's loft so I could introduce my son to them. I started adding to them from ebay and the likes and discovered Conte plastic WWII figures. Then Conte metal and I soon thought of trying just a couple of figures out in 1/30, so ordered a couple of singles, then a few more etc, etc.

Same here, airfix & matchbox, great german infantry sets, could never get that flamethrower guy to stand up straight though:), commando sets were another great one with dinghy and ladder, also had Britains Indians and ACW , The indians and cowboys are classic pieces and still look great today. (not the ones I had, all the aforementioned disappeared in the sands of time , cleaned out or given away to younger cousins:(:D)

Kept a lookout for years for matchbox/britains/airfix but they eluded me except for a few Britains ACW figures I came across in Savannah in 2005. (Never thought of ebay, just looking in bricks and mortar shops)

All but given up ,until early last year was following wife around pacific place , staring aimlessly over the balcony ,at rows of boutiques as she tried this and that on, and she tapped me on the shoulder and said have you seen this shop:D:D:D:D:D

The rest is history

p.s forgot about action man, with the rip cord,

Enemy tanks approaching

What's the password?

Send out the patrol

Advance in single file

give me some cover

Last edited:
I picked up the bug when I was a kid, and used to play with my older brother's Deetail Britains. He allowed me to play with certain ones, usually the extra german/british and american. When he was in college, he started seriously collecting the Deetail range, and he and my dad bought out a toy store in Ohio that was going out of business his junior year. We had evey type of vehicle, all in boxes that had come out (in '80-'84). Multiple sets of soldiers...you name it...Went to a toy soldier show in Chicago in '85 (YES that show!) while we were living there. Discovered all the new manufacturer at the time...Warwick...Alymer....and others....We moved to KY '86, and discovered Castle Hobby...and Steadfast & Imperial were on the menu from then on...Then several moves later, the internet, and ebay....I have collecting problem ;)

The old man is a train collector, and always loved his Barclay/Manoil figures as a kid.....and loved seeing the Mignot soldiers in the Marshal Fields display window as a kid in Chicago...of coarse the Lionel and American Flyer trains was his real love...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back