When should we start to think about selling our collection. (1 Viewer)

At my age, 67, I have begun to think about selling my collection. Have any of you considered this also ? I began buying 1/32 plastic toy soldiers when I was 5, and now have tons of Airfix, Marx, Accurate, Conte and Swoppets, etc, etc. Should I just keep them, and let my heirs worry about it. I think, since they are not interested, they would just trash them. I would be interested to know what my fellow collectors think. Thanks, William.

At age 68 I have wondered about the same. On one hand I like having the "toy" soldiers in my collection, but on the other hand I don't have anywhere to display them so the collection isn't really fulfilling its mission. So many of my figures have been converted or modified that most collectors will not want them, so for now they will stay in their storage tote.

Gary B.
Waverly, NE

Start listing them for sale here at the forum!...why not, the forum members are collectors themselves and understand the value of a toy soldier collection!

Over the last few years, I’ve drastically reduced the size of my collection but still like to purchase. However, over the past year I’ve become very selective about what I purchase.

With 56 years I do not want to buy more figures for the prices and because my children do not like this hobby. I am tired of saying that there is no generational change of our hobby but I do not see solutions.

Franciscoi

I do this as a hobby, as I do with stamps, old books, and assorted other things.Collecting is therapeutic. I'm always looking and learning, though, on a small budget,
I'm not always buying. When it comes to selling these piles of goodies off,
theres alot of closure there, at 54 yrs old, I'm not there yet. Although, like most folks,
I have no one with any interest to leave this stuff too. I would hate to know its going to
get piled up on the curb, I would think others with interest, like this forum, would like to have
first dibs on them, to leave 40 yrs of a hobby to a relative with no interest in it, just seems a waste.
I'd like to think when I decide to part with figures, I'd get a few bucks for them and do something
good with the money. Putting some final purpose to the hobby. I'd probably sell it piecemeal
to alleviate the heartache.

Somewhere , some kid has to think that Britains Deetail FFL are the best toy soldiers ever.
Just like me, I just have to find that kid.

Tim

You should start thinking about selling your collection when it no longer is of interest to you, no longer brings you joy, no longer appeals to you as a pursuit.

Selling it while it's still of interest to you because you are afraid that a.) When you pass away the items are just going to get tossed or b.) No one in my family is interested in my collection are not valid reasons.

It's your hobby, it's up to you to decide when it is time.

If the items are sitting in bins, not out on display stored in your basement, attic or a storage unit and you haven't looked at the items in years should answer your own question.

I have about 25,000 painted 20mm Napoleonics, ACW, Franco Prussian War and WWII figures, plus numerous WWII AFV's along with all sorts of scenery for all of the listed periods; I do something with my collection as often as I can, I still enjoy every aspect of the hobby from acquiring the items, painting them or having them professionally painted, then putting them into displays.

It's an awesome hobby that I enjoy very much.

I have thought about it, just in terms of giving my survivors guidance. I've thought about perhaps finding an organization, or a museum of some kind, that might be interested in them, to display them. Same goes for my finished scale models.

Prost!
Brad

I plan on leaving all of it behind with notes of who to call about it if it’s goes unwanted

I just turned 71. Every now and then I think enough is enough and consider selling my collection or at least reducing my purchases. Then a new range is offered or a new TS company offers a new and exciting twist on a range that others have been producing. When that happens my love for the hobby is renewed and I get excited once again in collecting. I must say that there have been a few ranges I have collected that I have sold off either because I tired of the subject or I needed display room for a new interest. What becomes of my collection after me is really no concern. I enjoy it, I photograph it, I play with it . . . When I can no longer do these things then it will be time to move on to something else.

Mestell said just about what I was going to say. I'm 73 and still enjoy the hell out of the hobby. I find myself selling only to spend 3 times what I just made to buy something else. If you enjoy the hobby stay with it.

Have already delivered my selfish decision to my two daughters.

They can do with it what they like after I'm gone just remember it's worth money not junk

Mark

Germanic warrior here. Don’t you want to be buried with your collection so that you can enjoy it in Walhalla? Don’t you guys believe in an afterlife?

With 56 years I do not want to buy more figures for the prices and because my children do not like this hobby. I am tired of saying that there is no generational change of our hobby but I do not see solutions. Franciscoi
My children are also not interested in my treasures. I have an agreement with a collector friend in Germany, the one who lives longer sells the things of the other. With me 4 rooms full of comics, toys and toy soldiers, completely crazy. With my friend a house full of comics, concert posters and uniforms. As in the mid-fifties, however, we want to have some fun at the collection for a few more years. Best Günther

Same problem

Good think is they ( including my grand son who is now 20 years old) love books and comics and movie and they will keep a great part of it
For the rest I showed them the real value some of my books and comics and lithograpy could reach, and the place were to sell them

And i'm preparing myself to sell my grey army on the webb

Germanic warrior here. Don’t you want to be buried with your collection so that you can enjoy it in Walhalla? Don’t you guys believe in an afterlife?

Don't think that I haven't thought of that, too. Those, and my collection of beer mugs and glasses.

I used to think I'd like to have a mound as a grave, but I'm leaning instead towards cremation these days. And then having my ashes interred in my favorite ​Bierkrug.

Prost!
Brad

Don't think that I haven't thought of that, too. Those, and my collection of beer mugs and glasses.

I used to think I'd like to have a mound as a grave, but I'm leaning instead towards cremation these days. And then having my ashes interred in my favorite ​Bierkrug.

Prost!
Brad

I'm thinking of a Viking funeral (at least the Hollywood type) where they put me and my goods on my dragon ship, set it ablaze and float it out to sea. Haven't yet got my wife convinced to throw herself on the pyre though. {sm4}

Or maybe I'll just build a pyramid and have myself buried in it with my stuff, like a pharoah.

Seriously, one should stick with a hobby as long as they enjoy it. If/when they no longer do, it's time to dispose of it. We've been through that with my and my wife's parents' stuff in which we had no interest. I like to think it went to people who appreciate it but the process still was a PITA. We've downsized so hopefully it'll be easier on our survivors. Also wills are the best way of insuring your stuff is disposed as you want.

At age 73 I've long thought about what happens to my collection after I'm gone. Part of it will appeal to those here on the Forum (i.e. pre 1968 Britains, Elastolin, Johill, etc.) but the much larger part of it consists of Flats - something of relatively little interest to collectors either in the US or UK. I've been to the Fraiser museum in Louisville, KY to see their excellent collection of toy soldiers there and offered to contribute some of my flats to them. That offer was made about two years ago, and I'm still waiting for a reply. That speaks volumes. My son (47) has limited interest and my daughter (50) absolutely none. The grandkids (two girls and one boy) also none. There is a toy museum in Kansas City MO. that might have a slight interest, but certainly not to the degree of wanting my entire collection. There's always Ebay, but I don't want to go through the hassle of selling and shipping.

The one ray of light (which I haven't pursued) is the Old Toy Soldier auction route.

I'll keep you posted on that. :salute::

Users who are viewing this thread

Back