Why high shipping rates by ebay sellers? (1 Viewer)

Go for Broke

Sergeant Major
I wanted to be bid on a Figarti AFV, but the shipping cost was $79.00. Why would an ebay seller charge such high shipping costs?

The seems high but I will tell you the rates are through the roof I sent a train to California priority in a larger than 12x12 box but not huge cost over 50 due to east to west shipping costs in my opinion are out of control

I don't know the details of your specific auction but I believe your living in Hawaii is a contributing factor.

shipping is determined by zones...
east coast to west coast is 4 zones...
I'm not sure how Hawaii is classified...

with USPS...
there is a surcharge if the box is over 12 inches...
it is even more if the box is over 18 inches...

weight is a small factor in the case of a tank...
I couldn't imagine it over 4 lbs...

the company selected to ship it...
is sometimes the largest factor...
prices vary incredibly...

UPS is absolutely brutal...I never use them...

both USPS and Fedex are cheaper...

but there can even be a huge difference between the two of them...

I'm sure a tank weighs more than 16 ozs....
using USPS...
it must go either a Priority type or Ground...
Ground is much cheaper and slower...
with a tremendous difference in price...

go to this link...

https://postcalc.usps.com/

punch in the zip codes...weight...size of box...and you can see your options for USPS...
it should give you some idea if he is gouging you...

both Fedex and UPS have similar websites to calculate shipping...

there are a ton of variables that calculate the cost...

but to address your concern...
that seems very high...
he may be adding extras like insurance to the bill...
you might inquire if he could ship it cheaper using USPS Ground...

The one that blew me out of the water was the postage from Canada to Australia a few years ago. The rates doubled over night making it uneconomical to purchase anything further. Can't imagine they export anything. Robin.

The one that blew me out of the water was the postage from Canada to Australia a few years ago. The rates doubled over night making it uneconomical to purchase anything further. Can't imagine they export anything. Robin.

I have found this as well. I purchased a lot of stuff from the US many years ago and the shipping by USPS was quite reasonable. But now the shipping costs have gone through the roof and it's not worth buying stuff from the US anymore.

I also found that shipping a reasonably sized box from Chicago to Canada was quite expensive when compared to shipping the same box from Australia to Canada. I was thinking of bringing some tanks and vehicles with me to the US later this year when I attended the CTSS.

Tom

I've bought from the east coast before with shipping about $20.00. I thought maybe they were trying to sell at a lower price but make money on the shipping cost.

I've bought from the east coast before with shipping about $20.00. I thought maybe they were trying to sell at a lower price but make money on the shipping cost.

if you got a tank....shipped east coast to Hawaii...for $20...you got a really good deal...a really...really good deal...

Ever increasing postal rates not withstanding, let's not neglect the fact that many less than scrupulous ebayers supplement their profits by overcharging for shipping and handling. I avoid the more obvious of these offenders like the plague.

I have found this as well. I purchased a lot of stuff from the US many years ago and the shipping by USPS was quite reasonable. But now the shipping costs have gone through the roof and it's not worth buying stuff from the US anymore.

I also found that shipping a reasonably sized box from Chicago to Canada was quite expensive when compared to shipping the same box from Australia to Canada. I was thinking of bringing some tanks and vehicles with me to the US later this year when I attended the CTSS.

Tom

Shipping to or from Canada and also within Canada is ridiculously expensive.

Ever increasing postal rates not withstanding, let's not neglect the fact that many less than scrupulous ebayers supplement their profits by overcharging for shipping and handling. I avoid the more obvious of these offenders like the plague.

Some may do that, but I have not found that to be the norm. It is obvious when they do. I have found that a lot of buyers do not realize the cost of shipping. I don't use ebay shipping, I have never found the discount to be worth it b/c I don't have the time nor inclination to purchase a scale, then measure, then interpret the rates and print postage. I have always gone to the counter and let USPS do the work. Buyers do not realize what Mike has laid out. Shipping even a tank in the original box, if you well pack it, you put it in a larger shipping box with adequate protection, so , size goes up and so does weight. Then it is zip code and zone. I do not mail to Hawaii or Alaska unless it is flat rate boxes b/c anything else is ridiculous. A regular 5 lb priority box to LA last week (12x12x12), no surcharge was $28.70. It is what it is.

TD

To add to what to Tom said, I mailed a package to Puerto Rico to one of our members here who purchased it via eBay. The package was light in weight but because it was bigger than 12 x 12, shipping by priority was expensive so I had to send it via USPS Ground. Shipping cost can be affected by size of the shipping box and that it's not being mailed to the continental US.

I shipped a box USPS,a very large box.The shipping was $60 at first but because of the size they charged a balloon charge of $110 more{eek3}{eek3}{eek3}{eek3}.I made very little profit. I also had to break a large package going to Canada into 2 smaller ones to save $10.It was still over $50.{eek3}.
Mark

you can use the shipping calculators before you quote shipping charges on your sale...
this will calculate exact cost and estimated arrival..
you can use it backwards to check what you received to see if someone is gouging you...
just reverse the address's...
you can use it to find the best/least expensive option...
these are free to use...

USPS...

https://postcalc.usps.com/

UPS...

https://wwwapps.ups.com/ctc/request?loc=en_US

Fedex...

https://www.fedex.com/ratefinder/home?cc=US&language=en&locId=express

Well here is another pertinent example. Just sold a large brass train, 15lb box oversize, with insurance, shipping comes to $61 to CA. In my auction, I say, wait for invoice for accurate quote. Of course, person pays right away and sends me this note:
This guy can ship the same train from back east .....

REDACTED
REDACTED
Thank you for your inquiry. How does 30.00 sound to CA?

SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ...???

Then this:

4get the insurance ......... just get a simple flat rate box with a tracking #..... why you have 2 get soooo difficult

what is the problem other than you ...???

ever have a lost bill in the MAIL..... I bet you never have ... nor have I ...

You Can pay the insurance ... if you feel its Soooooo Necessary .

SO - my reply - Thanks but no thanks, transaction cancelled, refund sent and I contacted ebay to proactively manage the issue. I mean , really? I am constantly amazed at people who think shipping is free, the buyer is always right and has the right to be rude. I would like to see a Flat Rate Box that is 20 inches long by 12 inches wide by 8 inches high??????????? If you know of one, please share. Just utterly clueless.

Guess what, this is a hobby for me and even if it wasn't, rudeness will never get you very far. I don't need to sell anything to someone with this attitude, can you imagine if there was a ding on the box when it arrived. I can guarantee you I would be getting a case filed, request for refund. Much easier to refund this individual and place them on the time honored Blocked Bidder List.

Thought I would share,
Tom

Unreal. $61 for a 15 pound oversized box is extremely cheap. You made a wise decision cancelling.

Well here is another pertinent example. Just sold a large brass train, 15lb box oversize, with insurance, shipping comes to $61 to CA. In my auction, I say, wait for invoice for accurate quote. Of course, person pays right away and sends me this note:
This guy can ship the same train from back east .....

REDACTED
REDACTED
Thank you for your inquiry. How does 30.00 sound to CA?

SO WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ...???

Then this:

4get the insurance ......... just get a simple flat rate box with a tracking #..... why you have 2 get soooo difficult

what is the problem other than you ...???

ever have a lost bill in the MAIL..... I bet you never have ... nor have I ...

You Can pay the insurance ... if you feel its Soooooo Necessary .

SO - my reply - Thanks but no thanks, transaction cancelled, refund sent and I contacted ebay to proactively manage the issue. I mean , really? I am constantly amazed at people who think shipping is free, the buyer is always right and has the right to be rude. I would like to see a Flat Rate Box that is 20 inches long by 12 inches wide by 8 inches high??????????? If you know of one, please share. Just utterly clueless.

Guess what, this is a hobby for me and even if it wasn't, rudeness will never get you very far. I don't need to sell anything to someone with this attitude, can you imagine if there was a ding on the box when it arrived. I can guarantee you I would be getting a case filed, request for refund. Much easier to refund this individual and place them on the time honored Blocked Bidder List.

Thought I would share,
Tom

Tom...

I just calculated a USPS estimate from a Maryland zip code to a California zip code...
with your weight and dimensions...

I don't think you're out of line on your shipping price from Maryland to West Coast...

remember you pay a 10% commission on your $61 shipping fee to Ebay...
add in cost of packing material...
getting the right sized box...
time...
trip to post office...
seems more than fair to me...

and correct...
there is no flat rate box that big...

your buyer...
being a jerk...
with his comments...
would queer the transaction for me right there...

you don't need that aggravation...

Tom...

I just calculated a USPS estimate from a Maryland zip code to a California zip code...
with your weight and dimensions...

I don't think you're out of line on your shipping price from Maryland to West Coast...

remember you pay a 10% commission on your $61 shipping fee to Ebay...
add in cost of packing material...
getting the right sized box...
time...
trip to post office...
seems more than fair to me...

and correct...
there is no flat rate box that big...

your buyer...
being a jerk...
with his comments...
would queer the transaction for me right there...

you don't need that aggravation...

My feelings exactly, the shipping charge was literally within cents of the cost. I felt like if the buyer is being this aggressive upon payment, Gawd knows what it could be like at delivery. You just can't make this stuff up.
TD

I agree with everything said in the above post except. I don't feel I should charge the buyer for the packaging, time spent packing, post office etc. That's on me. But as Mike said and I do do this. Since ebay takes 10% of my postage I do figure that in my postage charge.
Gary

to be clear, on this transaction, with the insurance added in, the postage was exact. No loss to me either way on this deal, by not selling to him, I saved myself a future headache. And I have a one time policy deal on ebay, one idiotic issue and off to the blocked bidder list you go, this has allowed it to continue to be fun for me!

TD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back