will conte ever rerelease the alamo playsets (2 Viewers)

Ed,
You commented.
"I do however doubt that the Alamo doesn't sell world wide".

Just giving a non US view on popularity of Alamo in my experience which is in no way a comment on the actions of the defenders at the Alamo.

Correct me if I am wrong but I recall a documentary about John Wayne which much too my surprise said that his movie did not do as well as expected at the Box Office. Perhaps a movie buff might know.

Regards
Brett

Ed is correct I do have a very keen interest in the Alamo but I know very few Brit TS collectors who share my interest. Point of fact is I had to rely on Ed's expertise for all kinds of advice whilst constructing my Alamo dio as such "Alamonians" are pretty scarce on the ground this side of the pond.

Whether you can link the failure of Wayne's directorial opus as another sign of the apparent unpopularity of Alamo figures I am not so sure. Let's be honest his movie The Alamo was a three hour butt numbing "bomb" and the critics were supported by the paying public-nobody went.

Wayne obviously felt he had to expand the story as he just couldn't have his actors mill around the palisade for thirteen days firing off the odd cannon. So he went back to his episodic Western days and staged a series of vignettes in an attempt to make it an action story.
Sending forays out of the mission to destroy a large Mexican seige gun (Mexicans didn't yet have a large seige gun) and capturing a herd of beef.
He staged two mass assaults on the mission and drove one back -Didn't happen there was only the final one which he filmed in full daylight instead of night.

Three hours is a long time to have to entertain an audience armed only with a static script and he needed a bit more than Chill Wills sitting around a campfire singing "Here's To The Ladies" or Frankie Avalon sing "Tennessee Baby". So to keep waking up the cinemagoers Wayne reverted to what he had been weaned on in all of his Monogram Westerns-episodic violence with shots and explosions. Unfortunately today that is still very evident whenever you watch it-I always cut to the final assault and forget about the previous two and a half hours of filler.

Wayne did indeed lose a packet on this one and had to sell the rights to Universal to pay off his debts. However, Universal eventually got their money back ten fold with future TV & Video sales.

Reb

Just read on Toy Soldiers of San Diego's site that they are having Ken Oshen sculpt the remaining walls to complete Contes Alamo.
They stated that it will come unpainted and will match Contes pieces. Does not give a time frame on this, but knowing TSSD this will be produced.
Gary

Just read on Toy Soldiers of San Diego's site that they are having Ken Oshen sculpt the remaining walls to complete Contes Alamo.
They stated that it will come unpainted and will match Contes pieces. Does not give a time frame on this, but knowing TSSD this will be produced.
Gary

That is excellent news.

Walt

Just read Marx Playset Yahoo Group. All I can say is,
"Let the wild rumpus start."

Gary

Didn't he do the ones for Conte? So that could be a nice match.

Good morning to everyone,
Hi, Conte just posted a reply on his Questions and answers page about TSSD's north wall project. Maybe this will prod RC into action on his alamo sets.
Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back