will conte ever rerelease the alamo playsets (1 Viewer)

louis,
I just checked it,s on page 41 of their online catalog.
Phil

I just checked ebay and conte is parceling out his alamo playsets.
He has the front gate up for bid, and also the gun ramp from playset #4. I dont understand why he's parting out the playsets, but I'm buying.
Phil

Hi everyone,
Has anyone seen the crazy prices that people have been paying for the alamo playsets?
A while ago someone payed over 750.00 dollars for playset #6, and the rest went pretty high too. At that rate I might as well try to make my own bldgs.
Phil:eek:

I already have all 7 sets but I wish that he would finish. I was looking forward to his calvary that he claimed were in the works. As everyone has said before me, he does great work but not very realiable. I keep hoping for a return of the old Conte. Maybe some day!!!!!!!!!:D

I already have all 7 sets but I wish that he would finish. I was looking forward to his calvary that he claimed were in the works. As everyone has said before me, he does great work but not very realiable. I keep hoping for a return of the old Conte. Maybe some day!!!!!!!!!:D

What's the difference between the old Conte and the new one?

I was referring to when COnte had the playsets in stock and were steadily coming out with new stuff for the Alamo. It was a wonderful time for me because the Alamo is my favorite era. I did not mean to imply that the Conte product was different, just the availability. Back then, CONTE announced that more playsets were coming soon that would include the entire chapel and also the NOrth Wall. In addition, Mexican Calvary would be added along with several more hand to hand poses. I am still waiting for those items. And I shall wait......and wait....:(

Yes, been what now, 5 years? Something just tells me we'll never see those sets, at least not from Conte.

Yes, been what now, 5 years? Something just tells me we'll never see those sets, at least not from Conte.

Oh, I'm sure they will be out by the end of the year, just like he always says. He just never says the end of which year.

Hi,
I finally got conte alamo playset#6 on ebay, had to pay 350.00, but that was a lot better than almost 800.00.
Now I have all seven sets, and I join the crowd waiting for RC to fullfill his pledge to us all that he will finish the alamo. Lets hope he's serios.
Phil

Hi,
I finally got conte alamo playset#6 on ebay, had to pay 350.00, but that was a lot better than almost 800.00.
Now I have all seven sets, and I join the crowd waiting for RC to fullfill his pledge to us all that he will finish the alamo. Lets hope he's serios.
Phil
I think the statute of limitations is up on his pledge.

I find it hard to believe that the Alamo doesn't sell in the US when Zulu's do. Actually, I'm not doubting him, just surprised. Still, at this point, if the series is started it should be finished. What good is a partial Alamo? Along with the Longest Day, etc. etc.

I'd say I was disappointed, but I had no expectations he'd ever complete the Alamo. Talk is cheap making the figures and sets isn't, I do however doubt that the Alamo doesn't sell world wide.

Ed,
You commented.
"I do however doubt that the Alamo doesn't sell world wide".

I have always had an interest in history since very young and have been in the retail business for ten years selling Toy Soldiers, Prints, DVD's and Books etc. My shop in Australia attracts the right "profile" of customer who have an above average interest in military matters and history.

I sell products covering all eras including AWI, ACW, War of 1812, FIW, Alamo etc. I can say very few people have ever expressed any interest in the Alamo. I am surprised however by the interest in Indians and certainly many have a great interest in ACW and FIW. The Alamo is just not on peoples "radar". There are many other US related items people would buy before considering Alamo never mind WW2, Napoleonics etc.

Just giving a non US view on popularity of Alamo in my experience which is in no way a comment on the actions of the defenders at the Alamo.

Correct me if I am wrong but I recall a documentary about John Wayne which much too my surprise said that his movie did not do as well as expected at the Box Office. Perhaps a movie buff might know.

Regards
Brett

Good morning all,
you are quite correct, John wayne ran out of money while building the set and if it were'nt for Happy shehann the movie would never have been made.
as It was, he never made his money back. that said, I think there is still a market for alamo figures.
Phil

Ed,
You commented.
"I do however doubt that the Alamo doesn't sell world wide".

I have always had an interest in history since very young and have been in the retail business for ten years selling Toy Soldiers, Prints, DVD's and Books etc. My shop in Australia attracts the right "profile" of customer who have an above average interest in military matters and history.

I sell products covering all eras including AWI, ACW, War of 1812, FIW, Alamo etc. I can say very few people have ever expressed any interest in the Alamo. I am surprised however by the interest in Indians and certainly many have a great interest in ACW and FIW. The Alamo is just not on peoples "radar". There are many other US related items people would buy before considering Alamo never mind WW2, Napoleonics etc.

Just giving a non US view on popularity of Alamo in my experience which is in no way a comment on the actions of the defenders at the Alamo.

Correct me if I am wrong but I recall a documentary about John Wayne which much too my surprise said that his movie did not do as well as expected at the Box Office. Perhaps a movie buff might know.

Regards
Brett
Perhaps you are correct, however I do know some English and even Australians that have interests in the Alamo. If I remember correctly one UKREB posted a marvelous series of threads based on this event that was highly viewed and lauded.

Also they have this shrine in Texas that millions flock to every year, I myself have visted there three times and intend on going again this year. I can say that everytime I have been there it is crawling with people. I'm sure they are not all locals or even American's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back