William Britains 1/30 Scale! When! Why! (3 Viewers)

As an afv builder I have noticed the figures have changed within the Tamiya range, advertised as 1/35 it was clear when the new vehicles were released they had previously wrong scale figure, if you look the figures now in the new releases are smaller.

A lot of Tamiya AFV were oversized so that the model could accomodate an electric motor and reduction-gear assembly. The company's M3 Stuart is a classic example. IIRC, it's made two Matilda's, an earlier, oversized/motorized version and, more recently, a proper 1/35 scale model. I suppose the broader point is that Tamiya has evolved from a maker of replicas with toy-like features to one focused on detail and scale. Of course, competition from outfits like DML didn't leave them a lot of choice. If it's really scale fidelity that you're after, then kits, festooned with photo-etch and aftermarket accessories like turned weapon-barrels are the way to go.

-Moe

A lot of Tamiya AFV were oversized so that the model could accomodate an electric motor and reduction-gear assembly. The company's M3 Stuart is a classic example. IIRC, it's made two Matilda's, an earlier, oversized/motorized version and, more recently, a proper 1/35 scale model. I suppose the broader point is that Tamiya has evolved from a maker of replicas with toy-like features to one focused on detail and scale. Of course, competition from outfits like DML didn't leave them a lot of choice. If it's really scale fidelity that you're after, then kits, festooned with photo-etch and aftermarket accessories like turned weapon-barrels are the way to go.

-Moe

DML really motivated Tamiya to improve and they did! I am hopeful that W. Britains and First Legion will motivate TCS and K&C to improve figureand AFV compatability.

DML really motivated Tamiya to improve and they did! I am hopeful that W. Britains and First Legion will motivate TCS and K&C to improve figureand AFV compatability.

Hopefully the new Britains WW2 figures will motivate First Legion to improve their figures as their heads/faces often look the same. Maybe they read too much into 'Band of Brothers' ^&grin

Hopefully the new Britains WW2 figures will motivate First Legion to improve their figures as their heads/faces often look the same. Maybe they read too much into 'Band of Brothers' ^&grin

A lot cheaper that way; one head fits all. I was interested in the artillery crew for the 15cm sfh18.
I was going to use it in a 1/30 scale Bandai Hummel I just built; when I looked at the faces I couldn't believe it. Clones! No wonder the Russians won the war in the East!

A lot cheaper that way; one head fits all. I was interested in the artillery crew for the 15cm sfh18.
I was going to use it in a 1/30 scale Bandai Hummel I just built; when I looked at the faces I couldn't believe it. Clones! No wonder the Russians won the war in the East!

Lol....yeah clones....like Star Wars and Scale Wars.

Lol....yeah clones....like Star Wars and Scale Wars.

OZ Digger; give me your opinion of the two models shown with the W. Britains Fallschimjager and some WWII photos, on the General Matte Discussion thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back