WINGS OF WAR (2 new planes) newsletter. (2 Viewers)

wayne556517

Lieutenant General
IMG_0015.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Dear All

Welcome to our 2nd wooden Warbirds release for May 2015 which features 2 iconic aircraft designs from WW2.

All our wooden aircraft take over 60 hours to complete and are strictly limited in number. Each comes with a fully detailed interior and as much detail as we can possibly pack into a 1/30 scale model.

Our first is the Horten 229 V8 fighter (WOW031) which was a requirement from the Reich Ministry to provide a light bomber which could fly at 1000 KMPH, deliver 1000kg of bombs with a range of 1000 kilometres.

The Horten brothers flying wing design was the only aircraft that came close to these 3 basic requirements and as such was approved for immediate development.

The basic frame was to be of tubular steel with wing spars of wood overlaid with a mixture of charcoal and sawdust as an inhibitor to radar detection. Post war studies showed that the Horten's radar signature was approximately 37% lower than that of an ME109 approaching the English coast, this would have given the British only 2.5 minutes to react to the threat, not enough time to have scrambled fighters to intercept it.

The first HO 229 flew as a glider with a fixed undercarriage in March 1944, the design was then given to Gotha who made significant changes to the undercarriage, increased the size of the aircraft, added an ejection seat and made various other improvements including the provision of 2 x 30mm cannon in the wing roots. Lt Erwin Ziller was chosen to fly the aircraft and made 2 flights in the HO 229 before crashing on the 3rd attempt in February 1945, he died 2 weeks later from his injuries. Shortly afterwards as part of Operation Paperclip, US forces captured the remaining HO 229 airframes with one now being on display in the US, there is some speculation that it maybe fully restored at some point.

As with any Luft 46 project the finished article is always speculative but we hope you like our interpretation and that it will form an integral part of your collection. Our V8 version comes with the original lower style undercarriage applied, which gives the aircraft a much sleeker look in the undercarriage down position and the pilot a much better view of the ground during taxiing and take off. A 2 seat night fighter version is planned for 2016 please note.

Our model comes with 2 Luftwaffe pilots perhaps gazing in astonishment at how far the Luftwaffe has developed since its inception 12 years previous. The real life aircraft had a wingspan of 54ft and as such this is a very large model in 1/30 scale.

Priced at $650 and limited to 15 in number, this aircraft available for immediate delivery.

Our second aircraft was the workhorse of the Kriegsmarine, the Arado 196 (WOW032) which came about as a requirement to replace the lacklustre Heinkel 60. The Arado was loved by its pilots for its handling in the air and on the water and was armed with 2 x 20mm cannons in the wing ports as well as a rear firing machine gun, it could also be armed with 2 x 50kg bombs. Over 500 Arado 196 were built during the course of WW2, some versions being exported to Finland, Bulgaria and Romania.

The Arado 196 was used as a shipboard reconnaissance aircraft from Germanys capital ships and was also utilised by Naval land based units, in the reconnaissance as well as the anti submarine role.

Our aircraft comes in the markings of one of the aircraft employed on the Bismarck prior to its destruction by the British fleet in 1941.

Limited to 15 in number and priced at $695 with 2 figures as per our photos this will also make a great addition to your collection. We are expecting delivery of the Arado towards the end of this week possibly early next week.

Please send me an email if you wish to reserve either aircraft at your earliest convenience and don't forget we are very happy to spread payments over 3 months on an interest free basis.

Best wishes

Vicki Lucas

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

Blew up and cropped one of Wayne's Arado pics.

Some nice detail in there:

Arado_Cockpit.jpg

Forgive me for doing surgery on your images, Wayne.:)

-Moe

...Glad I contacted Vicki immediately then to reserve an Arado. ....Lots of dio possibilities with that aircraft, and I'm not usually a guy who buys planes.

ATW!
Paul

I got lucky and reserved both. Now just need to pay for them.

Gary

The Thomas Gunn Horton 229 compares very favorably with my Dragon 1/48 scale model of the same aircraft and Dragon makes superb models of unusual subjects i.e. Kugleblitz Flakpanzer, Panther II etc. The Horton 229 had much lower drag than the ME 262 and was 100 KPH faster. A superior aircraft to either of its allied contemporaries; the P-80 Shooting Star or the Glouster Meteor! A really great model in 1/30 scale!

The Thomas Gunn Horton 229 compares very favorably with my Dragon 1/48 scale model of the same aircraft and Dragon makes superb models of unusual subjects i.e. Kugleblitz Flakpanzer, Panther II etc. The Horton 229 had much lower drag than the ME 262 and was 100 KPH faster. A superior aircraft to either of its allied contemporaries; the P-80 Shooting Star or the Glouster Meteor! A really great model in 1/30 scale!

How can you say it was a superior plane to the Gloster Meteor and P-80 when it was never flown with a full weapons and fuel load and never made to a full blown production plane ? There loads of what if German super jet fighters with super top speed that never left the drawing board and that why they lost the war and we won as we had fast reliable piston fighters like P51 and Spitfire XIV and they had loads of me 262 with no engine left in fields by the hundreds !

The Horton 229 compares very favorably with my Dragon 1/48 Horton 229 had much lower drag than the ME 262 and was 100 KPH faster. A superior aircraft to either of its allied contemporaries; the P-80 Shooting Star or the Glouster Meteor!
Where your proof to back up your statement ? Think the Gloster Meteor was the only plane to see combat in WW2 how many Ho229 saw action !?

Where your proof to back up your statement ? Think the Gloster Meteor was the only plane to see combat in WW2 how many Ho229 saw action !?[/QUOTE

Let me remember you Uksubs, that I do not like direct attacks on forum members who are just expressing an opinion about a collection airplane and the history behind it . That's the reason why I left the other forum, never to return!!!!
Where is the proof of your statement ?
Here is mine about the Horten in support of Katana
1. The Horten was the 1st jet plane with axial flow turbo jet engines ( the British did not know the meaning of this word in 1944 when the 1st Horten was built)
2. It was the 1st stealth plane ( British tests later proofed that it was not at all visible outside a 30km radius)
3. It was the 1st plane fitted with an ejection seat
4. It was the 1st plane to fly at a speed approaching 1000 km/hour ( 985km/h to be exact)
5. It was the 1st plane operating at a height of over 52.000 feet ( not one AA gun could reach it)
6. The Gloster Meteor was a jet fighter, the Horten was a bomber ( The Horten was faster than the Gloster and the Shooting Star, their max speed was 960 km/hour)
7. 3 Hotens were built . The 1st prototype flew on March 1st 1944, a second plane was developped in December 1944 and ready for it's 1st test flight on the 2nd Feb 1945, the 3th flight
took place the 18th Feb 1945
8. It was a good thing the war ended in May 1945 because 40 were ordered and these planes would have served as bombers each carrying 2 bombs of 500kg. Not one gun or plane could
have stopped these planes when operating at 52.000 feet
guy:smile2:

Where your proof to back up your statement ? Think the Gloster Meteor was the only plane to see combat in WW2 how many Ho229 saw action !?[/QUOTE

Let me remember you Uksubs, that I do not like direct attacks on forum members who are just expressing an opinion about a collection airplane and the history behind it . That's the reason why I left the other forum, never to return!!!!
Where is the proof of your statement ?
Here is mine about the Horten in support of Katana
1. The Horten was the 1st jet plane with axial flow turbo jet engines ( the British did not know the meaning of this word in 1944 when the 1st Horten was built)
2. It was the 1st stealth plane ( British tests later proofed that it was not at all visible outside a 30km radius)
3. It was the 1st plane fitted with an ejection seat
4. It was the 1st plane to fly at a speed approaching 1000 km/hour ( 985km/h to be exact)
5. It was the 1st plane operating at a height of over 52.000 feet ( not one AA gun could reach it)
6. The Gloster Meteor was a jet fighter, the Horten was a bomber ( The Horten was faster than the Gloster and the Shooting Star, their max speed was 960 km/hour)
7. 3 Hotens were built . The 1st prototype flew on March 1st 1944, a second plane was developped in December 1944 and ready for it's 1st test flight on the 2nd Feb 1945, the 3th flight
took place the 18th Feb 1945
8. It was a good thing the war ended in May 1945 because 40 were ordered and these planes would have served as bombers each carrying 2 bombs of 500kg. Not one gun or plane could
have stopped these planes when operating at 52.000 feet
guy:smile2:
Guy what wrong with asking someone to back up there statement with facts ? Truth of the matter the Ho 229 never made mass production and only took to the air three time before crashing never as a fighter or a bomber so it made no impact to the war a bit like the German other jet fighters , the komet was the fastest plane of the war but how many kills did it get ? All good coming out that it Could fly at 52.000 feet and it was stealth but truth of the matter is it never did during the war ! German jet engine were very unreliable as was shown with the Me 262 and even if the war ran till 1947 it would of made no difference as the allies had air surpremacy and don't forget America and Britain were making jet fighters even better than what they already had . I maybe wrong but thought the He owl was the first plane with eject seat ?

Guy what wrong with asking someone to back up there statement with facts ? Truth of the matter the Ho 229 never made mass production and only took to the air three time before crashing never as a fighter or a bomber so it made no impact to the war a bit like the German other jet fighters , the komet was the fastest plane of the war but how many kills did it get ? All good coming out that it Could fly at 52.000 feet and it was stealth but truth of the matter is it never did during the war ! German jet engine were very unreliable as was shown with the Me 262 and even if the war ran till 1947 it would of made no difference as the allies had air surpremacy and don't forget America and Britain were making jet fighters even better than what they already had . I maybe wrong but thought the He owl was the first plane with eject seat ?

You're right to say that the Henkel Uhu was equiped with ejection seats .The Uhu however could be banked upside down and the two crewmen could drop out.It happened the ejection seats in the He 162 and 219 performed several fatalities and the seat program was never really fixed so to speak.
The Me 262 had no ejection seats, a few versions had catapult seats.
The Arado and the Komet had compressed air propelled (ejection) seats
guy:)

UK Subs: Granted the Horton was a prototype and did not reach production; however it was an advanced prototype that was flown and tested. The prototype flight tests showed it was aerodynamically superior to all jet aircraft of the period, including the Arado 243, ME 262 and Heinkel 162 as well as the Meteor and Shooting Star. A Flying Wing is the most efficient planoform as proven by Jack Northrop in the 1930's, as it has the lowest aerodynamic drag. Jack Northrop built several Flying Wing bombers both prop and jet powered. The B2 bomber has the same wingspan as the Northrop YB 49 and is a very sucessful design. National Geographic commisioned a replica of the Horton HO 229; which was built and tested. The stealth properties were verified. The program is on You Tube and is quite facinating. The Glouster Meteor was a production aircraft; however it was used primarily to persue and destroy V1 Buzz Bombs. The Meteors maximum speed was 493 mph at 30,000 feet. The ME 262 maximum speed was 540 mph at 20,000 feet. The HE 162 maximum speed was 562 mph at 20,000 feet. The HO 229 prototype was clocked at 605 mph, benefiting from the low drag swept wing planoform. All of the data cited above is available in the excellent books: World War II Fighting Jets by Jeffrey Ethell & Alfred Price Navel Institute Press 1994. The Horton 229 data is available in: Horton Flying Wing in World War II; The Design& Developmentof the HO 229 by H.P.Dabrowski, Schiffer Military History #47

UK Subs: Granted the Horton was a prototype and did not reach production; however it was an advanced prototype that was flown and tested. The prototype flight tests showed it was aerodynamically superior to all jet aircraft of the period, including the Arado 243, ME 262 and Heinkel 162 as well as the Meteor and Shooting Star. A Flying Wing is the most efficient planoform as proven by Jack Northrop in the 1930's, as it has the lowest aerodynamic drag. Jack Northrop built several Flying Wing bombers both prop and jet powered. The B2 bomber has the same wingspan as the Northrop YB 49 and is a very sucessful design. National Geographic commisioned a replica of the Horton HO 229; which was built and tested. The stealth properties were verified. The program is on You Tube and is quite facinating. The Glouster Meteor was a production aircraft; however it was used primarily to persue and destroy V1 Buzz Bombs. The Meteors maximum speed was 493 mph at 30,000 feet. The ME 262 maximum speed was 540 mph at 20,000 feet. The HE 162 maximum speed was 562 mph at 20,000 feet. The HO 229 prototype was clocked at 605 mph, benefiting from the low drag swept wing planoform. All of the data cited above is available in the excellent books: World War II Fighting Jets by Jeffrey Ethell & Alfred Price Navel Institute Press 1994. The Horton 229 data is available in: Horton Flying Wing in World War II; The Design& Developmentof the HO 229 by H.P.Dabrowski, Schiffer Military History #47
To be honest I've already seen the program and have read the book on the subject but the truth of the matter the plane never went past the test stage so it more of a what if plane where as the Gloster Meteor saw action in WW2 and if the war carried on the mark four version was going to enter service with more powerful engine but what interesting about the Ho229 is that that they had problem with the jet engines with reliability and that the reason why one crashed , you go on about the B2 bomber but the only reason that can fly with that wing is by computers or it will crash and look how many years after ho 229 it taken to br made and interesting none of the allies tried to make there own version of the ho 229 after the war tell it own story

UK Subs: Granted the Horton was a prototype and did not reach production; however it was an advanced prototype that was flown and tested. The prototype flight tests showed it was aerodynamically superior to all jet aircraft of the period, including the Arado 243, ME 262 and Heinkel 162 as well as the Meteor and Shooting Star. A Flying Wing is the most efficient planoform as proven by Jack Northrop in the 1930's, as it has the lowest aerodynamic drag. Jack Northrop built several Flying Wing bombers both prop and jet powered. The B2 bomber has the same wingspan as the Northrop YB 49 and is a very sucessful design. National Geographic commisioned a replica of the Horton HO 229; which was built and tested. The stealth properties were verified. The program is on You Tube and is quite facinating. The Glouster Meteor was a production aircraft; however it was used primarily to persue and destroy V1 Buzz Bombs. The Meteors maximum speed was 493 mph at 30,000 feet. The ME 262 maximum speed was 540 mph at 20,000 feet. The HE 162 maximum speed was 562 mph at 20,000 feet. The HO 229 prototype was clocked at 605 mph, benefiting from the low drag swept wing planoform. All

Have to disagree when you say it was advance prototype when it never took to the air in a production version with full military load that when you find out a plane true performance and how many times did it fly three times never as a mock up fighter or bomber say it all where as the Gloster Metoer was on active service in 1944 . Best book on the subject is Horten Ho229 "Spirit of Thuringia": The Luftwaffe's All-wing Jet Fighter

Neil is right on this. The GO 229 was blessed in May 1944 and began test flights in January 1945. In March, the aircraft crashed and the program advanced no further although the production prototype had been virtually completed.

To say that it would have flown had the war continued into 1946 is speculative.

To be honest I've already seen the program and have read the book on the subject but the truth of the matter the plane never went past the test stage so it more of a what if plane where as the Gloster Meteor saw action in WW2 and if the war carried on the mark four version was going to enter service with more powerful engine but what interesting about the Ho229 is that that they had problem with the jet engines with reliability and that the reason why one crashed , you go on about the B2 bomber but the only reason that can fly with that wing is by computers or it will crash and look how many years after ho 229 it taken to br made and interesting none of the allies tried to make there own version of the ho 229 after the war tell it own story

I am sorry to disagree again . The Gloster did not see real action in WW2 . It never flew over enemy territory. ( through fear it could fall into enemy hands)
It was ONLY used to shoot down V1 bombs over the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back