WINGS OF WAR (2 new planes) newsletter. (3 Viewers)

Uksubs; the F-80 Shooting Star was for all practical purposes a prototype in that it never saw combat in WWII and was of limited production. The F-80 did see combat in Korea, but by then was obsolete and was replaced by the F-86; which was based on German swept wing research and was very similar to those paper project jets you cited, as was the Russian MIG-15. The de Havilland Vampire was very similar to the Focke Wulf Flitzer; a paper design by Kurt Tank. The Flitzer design was somewhat more advanced however, as it had swept wings! Early jets are very interesting.

Uksubs; the F-80 Shooting Star was for all practical purposes a prototype in that it never saw combat in WWII and was of limited production. The F-80 did see combat in Korea, but by then was obsolete and was replaced by the F-86; which was based on German swept wing research and was very similar to those paper project jets you cited, as was the Russian MIG-15. The de Havilland Vampire was very similar to the Focke Wulf Flitzer; a paper design by Kurt Tank. The Flitzer design was somewhat more advanced however, as it had swept wings! Early jets are very interesting.
I doubt the de Havilland Vampire was a copy of the **** wolf Flitzer as it was already flying in 1943 ! What interesting about the Mig 15 is they were flying with copy's of the British jet engine which the labour government gave them !!!

I agree Terry; debat is good especially when the subject is interesting. I have always conciderd flying wings to be interesting aircraft and the HO 229 was a very innovative version that exceeded the performance of all contemporary jet aircraft. The ME 163 Rocket Interceptor had a speed of 595 mph and the HO 229 even exceeded that; truly amazing for the period. I am very pleased that Thomas Gunn has made a fine model of this exceptional aircraft. The Dragon 1/48 scale styrene kit was the only accurate model previously available and was a bear to build. I have it hanging over my desk as I type this missive. I have a deep interest in early jet aircraft and an extensive library; so its fun to use this knowledge in a friendly debate! I appreciate Uksubs interest in the Meteor. The F4 version with Rolls Royce engines reached a maximum speed of 600 mph in a prototype tested in May of 1945. Concederably faster than the F1 version at 458 mph with the Whipple engines. Meteors saw extensive combat in Korea.

You mean this Dragon Ho229 ^&grin
I built this guy over a year ago.

DSC_94000001_zps4a914193.jpg

A flying wing is about the worst option for a gun platform - very poor accuracy. The Hortens could build a flying wing to be sure, but knew little about combat aircraft.

CNG; Nicely done Dragon model; the engines are very well done!

Uksubs; Thank you for the heads up on the 1/32 HO 229 model; amazing detail! I do not think the Vampire was a copy of the Flitzer; but more of an example of parallel development. Great minds think alike! The Vampire was a better design than the Meteor for an early effort. The Hawker Hunter is a classic design!

CNG; Mine is not as well built as yours. I built it as an in flight model; no landing gear or engines visable. My vision is not what it used to be so I have moved up scale in models; 1/25 and 1/16 for Panzers and 1/32 and 1/18 for aircraft. The 1/32 HO 229 Uksubs pointed out is the nicest I have seen. I recently built a Revell HE 162 in 1/32; a very nice model complete with engine and cockpit detail for $20.00 The 1/32 HO 229 runs a bit more. I will have to check the exchange rate for the Yen! I like the pressure suited pilot figure; the ceiling for the HO 229 was about 55,000 feet. Thanks for the photo of your model; excellent work!

A flying wing is about the worst option for a gun platform - very poor accuracy. The Hortens could build a flying wing to be sure, but knew little about combat aircraft.

One useful by-product of having a fuselage is vertical stability through the "normal" axis and yaw (left/right) stability. The USAF had its own flying wing designs, and attempted to address yaw issues through the use of multiple vertical stabilizers:

YB49-2_300.jpg

Didn't really work out, in that the engineers were never able to get the plane to settle down over a target where accuracy was paramount. As the plane rhythmically oscillated left and right, its payload was thrown hopelessly askew. Same phenomena would have occurred in a fighter, BTW, with bullets flying all over the place. Were it not for "fly-by-wire" computer inputs being applied by the millisecond, the sterling performance of the B-2 bomber wouldn't have been possible.

-Moe

CNG; Mine is not as well built as yours. I built it as an in flight model; no landing gear or engines visable. My vision is not what it used to be so I have moved up scale in models; 1/25 and 1/16 for Panzers and 1/32 and 1/18 for aircraft. The 1/32 HO 229 Uksubs pointed out is the nicest I have seen. I recently built a Revell HE 162 in 1/32; a very nice model complete with engine and cockpit detail for $20.00 The 1/32 HO 229 runs a bit more. I will have to check the exchange rate for the Yen! I like the pressure suited pilot figure; the ceiling for the HO 229 was about 55,000 feet. Thanks for the photo of your model; excellent work!

I'm in 1/18 planes as well and have several in my collection. The 1/32 Horten kit is in my list to buy for this year :)
And I also built two Revell HE 162 in 1/32 ^&grin

Moe; the photo of the Flying Wing is the Northrop YB-49 the sucessor to the YB-35 which had counterotating props that corrected yaw stability problems. The Airforce Flying Wings were designed as intercontinental atomic bombers; bomb delivery accuracy was not a problem! Hydrogen bombs in the megaton range are very forgiving, especially when detonated as an airburst over a city!

The Airforce Flying Wings were designed as intercontinental atomic bombers; bomb delivery accuracy was not a problem! Hydrogen bombs in the megaton range are very forgiving, especially when detonated as an airburst over a city!

There were no USAF Flying Wings deployed as bombers. The aircraft never got past the test stage. A reconnaissance version was also tested, but, likewise, never went into production. Film footage of one YB-49 did appear in The War of the Worlds. As depicted, the aircraft was used in a desperate attempt to deliver earth from alien-life-eradicators! A U. S. Air Force YB-49 taking off to atom bomb the invading Martians:

YB49-6_300.jpg

Found a nice-clip related to the YB-35 and YB-49 which touches on the yaw issue:

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/discovery/30060-strange-planes-the-northrop-xb35-and-yb49-video.htm

Interesting stuff.

-Moe

I stated that the YB-35 and YB-49 were designed as bombers; not that they were deployed. You are correct that the Flying Wings did not go into production. The B-36 was selected as the new intercontenental bomber, replacing the B-29. The research on the Northrop Flying Wings led directly to the design and development of the B-2 stealth bomber. The low radar reflectivity of a Flying Wing planoform was demonstrated first by the Horton HO 229 and also by the YB-49. Although both were only developed to the prototype stage the knowledge gained was invaluable!

The new Arado is parked on a North Sea beach......
I've used a bunch of old stuff, including a D-Day beach mat by JG Miniatures to make an accomodation for the Arado in my little collection.
It's definitely not a piece of art but....it's the best I have for the moment.
Kudos to Tom for his production, the plane is admirably fine detailed and finished
Rob :eek:Arado196_01.jpgArado196_02.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back