Wittman Diorama (1 Viewer)

bzr116

Private 2
Long time follower, but first time posting...

I am looking for some advice on creating a diorama for Wittmann's Last Tiger. This is the first diorama I am working on. Currently I am leaning towards picking up the King & Country SP047 set. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much

I am looking for some advice on creating a diorama for Wittmann's Last Tiger. This is the first diorama I am working on. Currently I am leaning towards picking up the King & Country SP047 set. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much

Get in touch with Mitch. He is a forum member he will give you some good idea's. :salute::

Thanks so much

Hey,
What exactly would you like to know about Wittmann ? His tiger was not destroyed in a village but in the open field. He lost a Tiger in the Battle of Normandy in a village called Villers-Bocage on the 13th of june. His own tank having some engine trouble he borrowed the tank of Adjudant Sowa the Tiger 222. This tank was shelled by an AT gun in the Rue Pasteur. Wittmann left the tank on the sidewalk without setting fire to it hoping to recover it later. Later on the 7th of august Whittmann's own Tiger 007 was destroyed east of the village of Cintheaux. Some say by the "A" squadron of the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry, 33rd British armoured brigade, others say it was destroyed by rocket fire from a Typhoon attacking the tank from the rear.The turret was ejected and Wittmann died in the action .
Anything else you want to know, just ask
guy:)

Here you have a picture of the Tiger 222 abandonned by Wittmann in the Rue Pasteur/ Villers Bocage
guy:smile2:
scannen0001.jpg

Hey,
What exactly would you like to know about Wittmann ? His tiger was not destroyed in a village but in the open field. He lost a Tiger in the Battle of Normandy in a village called Villers-Bocage on the 13th of june. His own tank having some engine trouble he borrowed the tank of Adjudant Sowa the Tiger 222. This tank was shelled by an AT gun in the Rue Pasteur. Wittmann left the tank on the sidewalk without setting fire to it hoping to recover it later. Later on the 7th of august Whittmann's own Tiger 007 was destroyed east of the village of Cintheaux. Some say by the "A" squadron of the 1st Northamptonshire Yeomanry, 33rd British armoured brigade, others say it was destroyed by rocket fire from a Typhoon attacking the tank from the rear.The turret was ejected and Wittmann died in the action .
Anything else you want to know, just ask

You're quite an expert on wittman!

You're quite an expert on wittman!

I just finished reading a book on the battle of Villers Bocage and more specific the part played by the 101st Schwere Panzerabteilung in the battle of Normandy.
guy:smile2:

Guy...

There is also the new evidence which, was produced in a paper and, was a documentary on the history channel that showed that it was more probable that it was a canadian unit. The Typhoon theory was rejected quite comprehensively but, there was a comment and some reports that they may have fired at the damaged tank whilst flying by. It seems a strange thing for them to do.

bzr116...

Are you wanting to dio the tank in the village or, when he died?
Mitch

Also 007 was not Wittmann's regular tank. He was ordered to take an HQ tank for more radio communication as he was leading the foray. Wittmann complained that the command tank carried fewer rounds than a regular tank. And Bobby Wohl, his regular gunner and right hand man in his regular tank crew was not with Wittmann that day.

And Mitch - not so loud about the Canadians getting Wittmann - Rob is still in denial. ^&grin^&grin

Terry

Terry...

The Ekins ''lucky shot'' has been used for many years but, was always suspect when looking at the whole picture. The battlefield detective programme was very interesting and, I managed to get some of the extra research that was done by the chap... Name slips me at the moment. But, its one of those things like the myths of Kursk etc that are hard to take from the established thought. By chance did you see the documentary??

The fact that he was stopped is more important but, it would have been nice as a brit, for him to be bagged by a brit but, its not the case. so, next best is a canuck!!!
Mitch

Also 007 was not Wittmann's regular tank. He was ordered to take an HQ tank for more radio communication as he was leading the foray. Wittmann complained that the command tank carried fewer rounds than a regular tank. And Bobby Wohl, his regular gunner and right hand man in his regular tank crew was not with Wittmann that day.

And Mitch - not so loud about the Canadians getting Wittmann - Rob is still in denial. ^&grin^&grin

Terry

Terry...

The Ekins ''lucky shot'' has been used for many years but, was always suspect when looking at the whole picture. The battlefield detective programme was very interesting and, I managed to get some of the extra research that was done by the chap... Name slips me at the moment. But, its one of those things like the myths of Kursk etc that are hard to take from the established thought. By chance did you see the documentary??

The fact that he was stopped is more important but, it would have been nice as a brit, for him to be bagged by a brit but, its not the case. so, next best is a canuck!!!
Mitch

Yes, I have seen it several times. The program is called Battlefield Mysteries by Norm Christie.

http://acmedigitalpictures.com/?portfolio=battlefield-mysteries

Terry

There was a discussion about 007 on this Forum about a year ago trying to determine exactly what Tiger version Wittmann was in - he was not driving his own tank. There is only one known photo of 007 after it was destroyed. The only feature that can be seen is that the tank had zimmerit - the K&C model does not. Other features to determine if it was a late or mid production Tiger (monocular vs binocular gunsight, steel rimmed vs rubber rimmed wheels, type of commander's hatch) are not visible.

Also be aware there are 2 versions of the K&C Wittmann 007 - one with him holding a map and one without.

Terry

Terry...

Cheers for that. For the life of me I could not remember his name. I think in regards to the Tiger when looking at the pics of the Tiger it looks like it was a hybrid of several different tiger parts. This was not uncommon to have different bits when parts were needed.
Mitch

There was a discussion about 007 on this Forum about a year ago trying to determine exactly what Tiger version Wittmann was in - he was not driving his own tank. There is only one known photo of 007 after it was destroyed. The only feature that can be seen is that the tank had zimmerit - the K&C model does not. Other features to determine if it was a late or mid production Tiger (monocular vs binocular gunsight, steel rimmed vs rubber rimmed wheels, type of commander's hatch) are not visible.

Also be aware there are 2 versions of the K&C Wittmann 007 - one with him holding a map and one without.

Terry

Terry

Terry
I am not pretending that 007 was Wittmann's regular tank . His regular tank within the 101st Schwere Panzer Abteilung was the number 205. He was killed commanding the 007 Tiger which was normally the tank of Kommandeur Stubaf. Heinz von Westernhagen.

Mitch
I do'nt know if you can believe everything they show on the History Channel.
My information comes from the historian of the Tiger Tank battalions Mr Peter Agte

Guy...

whilst I appreciate what you say this was a detailed, almost, forensic examination of the battlefield. There have been several accounts about the range of Ekins and the ability to take out the tigers before but, having seen a lot of the evidence I would side with the canadians who were closer to the Tigers and, proven to be in the area.

It will always be held by some that it was Ekins and, backed by many historians but, look at the many noted historians who have made their reputations on certain facts that have been proven to be wrong and, even ignored documentation that existed showing they were wrong.

Shame this has come up at the same time Ekins has died but, its interesting
Mitch

Mitch
I do'nt know if you can believe everything they show on the History Channel.
My information comes from the historian of the Tiger Tank battalions Mr Peter Agte

Terry
I am not pretending that 007 was Wittmann's regular tank . His regular tank within the 101st Schwere Panzer Abteilung was the number 205. He was killed commanding the 007 Tiger which was normally the tank of Kommandeur Stubaf. Heinz von Westernhagen.

Sorry Guy. I never thought you were implying that 007 was Wittmanns regular tank

Terry

Thanks so much

What is a SP047 set. ?

Guy...

There is also the new evidence which, was produced in a paper and, was a documentary on the history channel that showed that it was more probable that it was a canadian unit. The Typhoon theory was rejected quite comprehensively but, there was a comment and some reports that they may have fired at the damaged tank whilst flying by. It seems a strange thing for them to do.

bzr116...

Are you wanting to dio the tank in the village or, when he died?
Mitch

Thanks for all the responses. I really like K&C's Wittmann Tiger. Although I am aware that this was not the Tiger used by Wittmann in the Battle of Villers-Bocage, I was leaning towards a village diorama. What do you think? In addition, I had some question as to what figures to include around the tank. I like some of the new additions to the King & Country line from the 2nd SS Panzer "Das Reich" who I thought participated in some degree in the Battle of Villers-Bocage, however I remain unsure.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back