WK's Robin Hood collection (1 Viewer)

Very nice collection and conversions. Thank you for sharing. Toy soldier collecting at its best.

I could not work the link in the last post. Sorry.

Very nice collection and conversions. Thank you for sharing. Toy soldier collecting at its best.

I could not work the link in the last post. Sorry.

I guess it's because you have to be member to access
try this way
http://soldatplastique-1-32.forumgratuit.org/forum
click on s'enregistrer ( register )
now click on J'accepte le réglement ( I accept the rules ) in blue, bottom of screen
then fill the differen infos requested
Nom d'utilisateur Name
adresse email email adress
mot de passe password

and continue

don't worry to communicate there in English, there is no problem, and don't forget to introduce yourself
Best

Re: WK's Robin Hood collection (update 19/10)

We all know and remember the scene from every good Robin Hood tale where Prince John and the Sheriff concoct a plan to lure Robin in the open by organising an archery tournament and counting on his pride to join in. Well, I picked up this banged up Del Prado Hundred Years War longbow archer for a few euros and while his attire worked for the setting, I didn't quite picture him as one of the merry men or the Sheriff's lackeys, so I decided to make him one of the other hopeful contestants (who, unlike Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham, did not count on facing Robin Hood in the tournament).

Some minor conversions were done to get him ready: the long knife and buckler hanging from his belt were replaced with a leather pouch and a broken arrow point was replaced, but other than that, he was good to go (after stripping what remained of the paint). The original colours made him look too much like a soldier and not enough like a commoner trying his luck, so I had to change it. For a suitable colour scheme I rewatched the scene from the Errol Flynn movie and tried to get something with the same feel. A few details were copied from the Merry Men figures, like the bow colour and arrow fletching.

A comparison of the original figure (mine was a cheap loose copy, with chipped paint), next to the repaint.
Tournament%2Barcher3.jpg
Tournament%2Barcher4.jpg

Del Prado Crécy archer: original and repainted version

Tournament%2Barcher.jpg

As long as Robin Hood doesn't show his face, that golden arrow will be mine!

The Del Prado figures fit very well with the King & Country figures size and stylewise

Tournament%2Barcher2.jpg

Do you have a minute to talk about our Lord and Saviour Robin?

Thanks, I prefer my version over the original one too and it just fits so much better to the RH collection.

An archery contest wouldn't be the same without a Robin competing in a clever disguise, that's ultimately pointless as he intends to win and go up close to the Prince and Sheriff to accept his reward. Aside from the Sherwood Robin with bow and the "final duel" Robin with sword, King & Country also makes a Robin in disguise, and once again echos of Errol Flynn's Robin Hood abound. Another great model.

Tournament%2BRobin.jpg

Noone will recognise me with this hat tilted in a dashing way.

Tournament%2BRobin3.jpg

Now where have we seen this man before...?

The finalists line up for another volley. The chap with the cloak seems to be doing very well indeed.

Tournament%2BRobin2.jpg

Can't they move those targets to a distance fit for a proper man to shoot at?

Colourful series to own WK. Back in March this year I had the unreal experience of having Andy visit my man cave and the couple hours we chatted, the whole time I was running the Errol Fylnn Robin Hood movie on the big screen, running in the background. Just reinforcing why Andy selected this movie for his inspiration. He was delighted and on occasions stopped chatting to point out something from the movie. Hopefully some more releases to come. Robin.

That sounds like a lovely time indeed. The movie has many great scenes and colourful characters to pick from. The disgraced Dickon Malbete comes to mind for instance.

017%2BHarry%2BCording%2Bas%2BDickon%2BMalbete.jpg

Re: WK's Robin Hood collection (update 19/10)

We all know and remember the scene from every good Robin Hood tale where Prince John and the Sheriff concoct a plan to lure Robin in the open by organising an archery tournament and counting on his pride to join in. Well, I picked up this banged up Del Prado Hundred Years War longbow archer for a few euros and while his attire worked for the setting, I didn't quite picture him as one of the merry men or the Sheriff's lackeys, so I decided to make him one of the other hopeful contestants (who, unlike Prince John and the Sheriff of Nottingham, did not count on facing Robin Hood in the tournament).

Some minor conversions were done to get him ready: the long knife and buckler hanging from his belt were replaced with a leather pouch and a broken arrow point was replaced, but other than that, he was good to go (after stripping what remained of the paint). The original colours made him look too much like a soldier and not enough like a commoner trying his luck, so I had to change it. For a suitable colour scheme I rewatched the scene from the Errol Flynn movie and tried to get something with the same feel. A few details were copied from the Merry Men figures, like the bow colour and arrow fletching.

Great job on the Del Prado figure !

Thank you for posting.

Another great film that blends with "Robin Hood" was "Ivanhoe". A remarkable cast of Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders, Sebastian Cabot and many others.
The castle siege by Robin and his Merry Men was so exciting that I always tried to duplicate it with my early Marx and Timpo figures.
K&C could expand their offering with some of this movie's great personalities and scenics.

Another great film that blends with "Robin Hood" was "Ivanhoe". A remarkable cast of Robert Taylor, Elizabeth Taylor, Joan Fontaine, George Sanders, Sebastian Cabot and many others.
The castle siege by Robin and his Merry Men was so exciting that I always tried to duplicate it with my early Marx and Timpo figures.
K&C could expand their offering with some of this movie's great personalities and scenics.

I have both on DVD. Fantastic movies!^&cool^&cool

Ah yes, another great childhood favourite. I have toyed with the idea of looking in the K&C crusader range for a suitable candidate to convert and repaint as Ivanhoe, but a proper model would be even better.

I had a few more woodland animals to finish from those Lemax sets I showed earlier. A set of wild rabbits for the Merry Men to hunt and a couple squirrels (which I suppose could also go in a forest stew at a pinch). Nothing too exciting, but a nice bit of background scenery to add to a board or setup. These aren't my best paintjobs by far, but then they were pretty rough casts and not very inspiring to work on. I think they look the part though.

The rabbit stew, au naturel:

rabbits1.jpg

Did you hear something?

rabbits2.jpg

Err... what's up, Doc?

And the squirrels. They may be slightly big for the scale, practically the size of the rabbits, but I'm sure it will work out fine.

squirrel%2B1.jpg

Aww... nuts!

squirrel%2B2.jpg

My God, giant squirrels!

Your woodland creatures are going to outnumber the men of Sherwood shortly^&grin, Robin.

I had a few more woodland animals to finish from those Lemax sets I showed earlier. A set of wild rabbits for the Merry Men to hunt and a couple squirrels (which I suppose could also go in a forest stew at a pinch). Nothing too exciting, but a nice bit of background scenery to add to a board or setup. These aren't my best paintjobs by far, but then they were pretty rough casts and not very inspiring to work on. I think they look the part though.

The rabbit stew, au naturel:

rabbits1.jpg

Did you hear something?

rabbits2.jpg

Err... what's up, Doc?

And the squirrels. They may be slightly big for the scale, practically the size of the rabbits, but I'm sure it will work out fine.

squirrel%2B1.jpg

Aww... nuts!

squirrel%2B2.jpg

My God, giant squirrels!

Just paint rings around their tales and masks around their eyes and they will make perfectly scaled raccoons!{sm2}

Ah yes, another great childhood favourite. I have toyed with the idea of looking in the K&C crusader range for a suitable candidate to convert and repaint as Ivanhoe, but a proper model would be even better.

Agree about your "proper model" of Ivanhoe, Timpo did make some mounted Ivanhoe metal figures in the 50s, and White Tower Miniatures makes a Gloss set...there have also been some Plastic figures produced. In addition to the 1952 movie, I like the 1982 movie starring Anthony Andrews (Ivanhoe), James Mason (Isaac of York), Sam Neill (Brian de Bois-Guilbert), Michael Hordern (Cedric the Saxon), Olivia Hussey (Rebecca), Lysette Anthony (Rowena), George Innes (Wamba), and John Rhys-Davies (Front de Bœuf).

I had Will Leary of North Carolina paint a K&C Crusader (MK057) to resemble Ivanhoe from the 1982 movie;
https://forum.treefrogtreasures.com/showthread.php?57430-Templestowe&highlight=

Re: WK's Robin Hood collection (update 22/10)

Good job on that Ivanhoe!

For a continuation of the tournament collection: hile Robin's main intrest is the archery competition, it wouldn't be a proper tournament without a bout of jousting. So here we have the yellow and blue knight doing what knights do on these occasions. These were a bit of an impulse buy, as the set was on clear-out due to the models being retired. But they can be made to fit into this project without too much forcing and they are oh-so-lovely.

Tournament%2Bknight%2B7.jpg

The Sheriff and Sir Guy watch the tournament with an appreciative eye...

Tournament%2Bknight%2B6.jpg

You could poke out someone's eye with that thing!

Some close-ups of the knights and their gorgeous heraldry. First the yellow knight:

Tournament%2Bknight%2B2.jpg

Tournament%2Bknight%2B1.jpg

Followed by the blue knight, look at that barding:

Tournament%2Bknight%2B4.jpg

Tournament%2Bknight%2B3.jpg

The jousting barrier isn't bad either. Six different shields adorn the sides:

Tournament%2Bknight%2B5.jpg

I have the jousting set as well, mainly due to the brillant colours and detail. Fit the era well. Robin.

Those two knights were actually the first 60mm figures I purchased (on impulse). I hadn't posted them before because I didn't know how to fit them in the project at first and also because I just recently picked up the jousting barrier to complete them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back