WK's Robin Hood collection (2 Viewers)

Re: WK's Robin Hood collection (update 22/10)

Good job on that Ivanhoe!

For a continuation of the tournament collection: hile Robin's main intrest is the archery competition, it wouldn't be a proper tournament without a bout of jousting. So here we have the yellow and blue knight doing what knights do on these occasions. These were a bit of an impulse buy, as the set was on clear-out due to the models being retired. But they can be made to fit into this project without too much forcing and they are oh-so-lovely.

Thank you for posting these photos of some wonderful knights.

Your background works so very well with everything in this "project".

I'll eventually look for a more suitable background for the tournament pictures, but for now it will do fine.

With the majority of the Merry Men being armed with bows and most of the Sheriff's men being armed with handweapons and shields, I wondered what could be done to make the forces look more balanced. Then I remembered the end of the Adventures of Robin Hood movie, when Richard returns in disguise with a few fellow crusaders.

As King & Country already has an extensive Crusaders range (as well as a few variants of King Richard), I would add a third faction, that could be combined with the Merry Men. I will aim to collect only the models with matching livery, to maintain a semblance of uniformity (though if there's another model I like, I could always repaint it partially). This is the first of those. The fact that it incorporates green is a nice bonus as a tie-in with the Merry Men.

crusader%2B1a.jpg

Look at the size of my pointy stick, it's huge!

As usual, loads of character and lovely detail from K&C:

crusader%2B1b.jpg

I thought when I got home, the fighting would be over...

I apologise for the bad quality of the pictures and the lack of a proper background, but I only got to open this package late at night and couldn't resist putting it together with a couple figures for a few quick shots to judge the scale.

The model is the currently unavailable Barzso Nottingham Castle. It is a huge beast made out of lightweight hardfoam for 1/32 figures. While technically speaking underscale, the height of the doors is tall enough for the King and Country 1/30 (or closer to 1/28) figures, so it works well (and you're not likely to find a bigger castle with this kind of detail anywhere.

The castle is only about 90% assembled here, I haven't attached the chains for the working draw bridge and the piece of foam at the bottom right should go inside the castle gates as a floorpiece. Shown here with the mounted Sir Guy, the Sheriff of Nottingham and a man-at-arms for scale.

nottingham%2Bcastle.jpg

nottingham%2Bcastle%2B3.jpg

nottingham%2Bcastle2.jpg

I'm still debating whether it worth it to repaint it at some point for an even better look. Not sure at this stage as it seems rather daunting to redo such a big model, so perhaps I will just pick out some details like doors and tiled roofs and leave the brickwork alone. I would like to build a base with a moat around it though, to do full justice to the drawbridge and interior. I have a roll of textured wallpaper that should work well for the inner courtyard.

Love this castle and it can be extended with extra walls and the relatively new large tower piece.
It can be used with Robin Hood, Vikings and Normans, JJD Wars of the Roses figures and even
ECW figures. I bought it years ago directly from Barzo and attest to its resilience and versatility.
Hopefully they will release again.

Yes, I'd like to be able to add the fortified abbey and Duke's stronghold models, as well as the breached wall model over time. Such a shame they are no longer readily available.

Fairly sure Ron still has the castle, fortified Abbey and Duke's tower for sale, they are listed on his web page with cost. Anyone interested should contact him. He only made the tower last year, so that would certainly be available. Agree WK with your comments, the doors fit ok with 1/30, but it is a 1/32 structure, but just as well, it is big. I think it could be improved with a slight touch up with paint to highlight features, but overall I like the Grey. With your paint skills, this would enhance the look even more. Happy that the castle breaks down to 4 main pieces for storage, as currently I cannot permanently display. It fits a lot of era's and is the best castle going. Robin.

Unfortunately, there is a message on the front page stating they are not taking orders due to problems with their supplier. I tried e-mailing them some time ago, but got no reply.

I will probably do some touchups here and there, repaint the doors and windows and add some weathering, but not a full repaint as the size of that thing would likely drive me mad.

It is a great set though and I reckon you can use the front and side parts as one long city wall to use as a display backdrop.

I apologise for the bad quality of the pictures and the lack of a proper background, but I only got to open this package late at night and couldn't resist putting it together with a couple figures for a few quick shots to judge the scale.

The model is the currently unavailable Barzso Nottingham Castle. It is a huge beast made out of lightweight hardfoam for 1/32 figures. While technically speaking underscale, the height of the doors is tall enough for the King and Country 1/30 (or closer to 1/28) figures, so it works well (and you're not likely to find a bigger castle with this kind of detail anywhere.

The castle is only about 90% assembled here, I haven't attached the chains for the working draw bridge and the piece of foam at the bottom right should go inside the castle gates as a floorpiece. Shown here with the mounted Sir Guy, the Sheriff of Nottingham and a man-at-arms for scale.

nottingham%2Bcastle.jpg

nottingham%2Bcastle%2B3.jpg

nottingham%2Bcastle2.jpg

I'm still debating whether it worth it to repaint it at some point for an even better look. Not sure at this stage as it seems rather daunting to redo such a big model, so perhaps I will just pick out some details like doors and tiled roofs and leave the brickwork alone. I would like to build a base with a moat around it though, to do full justice to the drawbridge and interior. I have a roll of textured wallpaper that should work well for the inner courtyard.

Great, huge, sophisticated, gothic castle{sm3} I would definitely leave it in its original colours , it expresses a special gothic atmosphere...

Yes, I'd like to be able to add the fortified abbey and Duke's stronghold models, as well as the breached wall model over time. Such a shame they are no longer readily available.

Love these buildings !

I purchased the Castle with two additional walls and the breached wall when they came out, picked up the Duke's Stronghold and base at OTSN in 2016.
Also have the Fortified Abbey and Manor house along with a few of Ron's Medieval houses and the Inn.

Congratulations on your acquisition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back