WK's Victorian Horror collection (1 Viewer)

Re: WK's Victorian Horror collection (update: Bill Sikes)

One more for the evening. Another prepainted one, so not much work, tomorrow's update will be another full paintjob.

Bill Sikes is a career criminal associated with Fagin, and a suspected murderer. He is violent and aggressive, prone to sudden bursts of extreme behaviour. A rough and barbaric man, he is now one of many thugs on the beck and call of the criminal mastermind known as "The Napoleon of Crime".

The figure is another straight from the box figure by King and Country, in the World of Dickens range. A characterful sculpt, in a somewhat outdated costume. I only repainted the plain grey base so it would match the rest of my figures. All in all, a lovely figure, if I would have any complaints it's that he's not quite ugly enough for the book description.

Bill%2BSikes.jpg

What are you looking at?

Re: WK's Victorian Horror collection (update 31/10: Count Orlok)

Another one for the Dracula faction, the result of yesterday's painting session.

Count Orlok is a vampire from Transylvania, and is known as "The Bird of Death", who feasts upon the blood of living humans. He is believed to have been created by Belial, the lieutenant demon of Satan. Like Count Dracula, he traveled to London by ship. His journey by sea spread plague all over Europe. Although an elder himself, Orlok reluctantly serves Dracula as one of his close advisors. Doing so, he takes some pleasure from the fact that his appearance fills the Count with distaste.

Orlock%2B1.jpg

The vile Count Orlok.

Orlok is, of course the vampire from the cult movie "Nosferatu", who does serve Dracula in Kim Newman's Anno Dracula novels. The figure is a metal kit from Miniaturas Beneito. While technically listed as 54mm, the figure is of a similar size to the 65mm King and Country figures and fits in beautifully.

Orlock%2B2.jpg

Two different kinds of monsters face off...

Orlock%2B4.jpg

By order of her Majesty, the Queen, your reign of terror ends here, soulless fiend!

Orlock%2B6.jpg

Hisssssss! A woman vampire??

Orlock%2B3.jpg

Vampire counts, out for a stroll...

That is a fantastic Count Orlok, really creepy!^&cool^&cool And our first Anno Dracula reference!!^&grin

Re: WK's Victorian Horror collection (update 31/10: Count Orlok)

Another one for the Dracula faction, the result of yesterday's painting session.

Count Orlok is a vampire from Transylvania, and is known as "The Bird of Death", who feasts upon the blood of living humans. He is believed to have been created by Belial, the lieutenant demon of Satan. Like Count Dracula, he traveled to London by ship. His journey by sea spread plague all over Europe. Although an elder himself, Orlok reluctantly serves Dracula as one of his close advisors. Doing so, he takes some pleasure from the fact that his appearance fills the Count with distaste.

Orlock%2B1.jpg

The vile Count Orlok.

Orlok is, of course the vampire from the cult movie "Nosferatu", who does serve Dracula in Kim Newman's Anno Dracula novels. The figure is a metal kit from Miniaturas Beneito. While technically listed as 54mm, the figure is of a similar size to the 65mm King and Country figures and fits in beautifully.

Orlock%2B2.jpg

Two different kinds of monsters face off...

Orlock%2B4.jpg

By order of her Majesty, the Queen, your reign of terror ends here, soulless fiend!

Orlock%2B6.jpg

Hisssssss! A woman vampire??

Orlock%2B3.jpg

Vampire counts, out for a stroll...

That is fantastic. I watched Nosferatu the other night on TCM. Some great images. The commentator indicated that Bram Stoker's estate had sued the film maker for copyright infringement of Dracula (which of course it was) and won. The judge ordered all copies of the film in Germany destroyed. Fortunately, one copy was in the US and because Stoker's book was not copyrighted here or had expired that copy was not destroyed. It was the the only copy that survived. A few years ago someone broke into the director's grave and stole his head. Pretty creepy. I always thought a rogue's gallery of villains would make a great toy solider line. Lizzie Borden, Bonnie & Clyde etc.

Re: WK's Victorian Horror collection (update 1/11: soldiers)

Lieutenant Georges Findlay of the Royal Marines and Sergeant Angus MacIntosh of the Gordon Higlanders were recalled to London from their post in Sudan to join the elite unit that has come to be known as "Her Majesty's Finest". Like the other members of that distinguished unit, they kept their respective uniforms as a matter of pride.

lieutenant%2Band%2Bsergeant.jpg

Allright boys, party is over!

Sergeant MacIntosh proudly wears the green kilt of the Gordon Highlanders and while his belly may have gotten a bit out of control, he is still a force to be reconned with. His short fuse and temper have prevented him from rising above the rank of sergeant for any prolonged period of time, though some say this may be deliberate on his part.

sergeant%2Bmcintosh.jpg

Now be a good lad and die already...

Lieutenant Findlay would have made captain by now, had he not had the misfortune of courting the wrong woman whio happened to be married to an influential man. Still, his distinguished record has not been overlooked by Colonel Lovelace when recruiting the members of Her Majesty's Finest.

Lieutenant%2B1.jpg

Wait for it...

lieutenant%2B2.jp

Fire!

Both of these are prepainted figures made by John Jenkins Designs for the Sudan War. As usual, I repainted the bases so they would match the other figures. Unlike the other figures, I made up the names and background of these characters instead of borrowing them from popular litterature.

lieutenant%2B3.jpg

Now I've got you right where I want you.

Sizewise, they are a good match for King and Country. Shown here with Colonel Lovelace:

hmf%2B1.jpg

Another fun and very creative addition to the thread, although Sergeant MacIntosh sounds a lot like Terence Mulvaney from Rudyard Kipling’s Soldiers Three.

Re: WK's Victorian Horror collection (update 2/11: chinese sorceror)

Next one is the first figure for the Chinatown Underworld faction.

The sector of London where Chinese immigrants have made their home, commonly known as Chinatown, is also the place from where evil mastermind Fu Man Chu directs his criminal operations, ranging from Chinese Tong street gangs to skilled assassins and magic users. Wei Long Wu is one of the latter. A skilled sorceror, he uses his occult skills to do Fu Man Chu's bidding, including the cursing and often eliminating of his master's enemies.

chinese%2Bsorceror%2B2.jpg

Fool, you will pay for your insolence!

chinese%2Bsorceror%2B1.jpg

I think this potion may have gone bad...

The figure is an easy conversion of the King and Country Hong Kong street shop barber figure, with the addition of a magic vial from a 28mm hard plastic Games Workshop "Empire wizard" kit. The razor is a separate piece on the model, so it was easy to replace it with the vial. The chinese character painted on the vial is supposed to read "death", but I'm not sure how legible that is. The base was changed to fit my other figures.

chinese%2Bsorceror%2B4.jpg

Comparison with the original figure.

And a quick "in action" picture, with Lt. Findlay:

chinese%2Bsorceror%2B3.jpg

Put... the potion... down. Slowly...

I love it! Now all you need is an ancient vampire who hops and we are is business!

Easily the best thread on Treefrog EVER. This should be preserved.

Next one is the first figure for the Chinatown Underworld faction.

The sector of London where Chinese immigrants have made their home, commonly known as Chinatown, is also the place from where evil mastermind Fu Man Chu directs his criminal operations, ranging from Chinese Tong street gangs to skilled assassins and magic users. Wei Long Wu is one of the latter. A skilled sorceror, he uses his occult skills to do Fu Man Chu's bidding, including the cursing and often eliminating of his master's enemies.

chinese%2Bsorceror%2B2.jpg

Fool, you will pay for your insolence!

chinese%2Bsorceror%2B1.jpg

I think this potion may have gone bad...

The figure is an easy conversion of the King and Country Hong Kong street shop barber figure, with the addition of a magic vial from a 28mm hard plastic Games Workshop "Empire wizard" kit. The razor is a separate piece on the model, so it was easy to replace it with the vial. The chinese character painted on the vial is supposed to read "death", but I'm not sure how legible that is. The base was changed to fit my other figures.

chinese%2Bsorceror%2B4.jpg

Comparison with the original figure.

And a quick "in action" picture, with Lt. Findlay:

chinese%2Bsorceror%2B3.jpg

Put... the potion... down. Slowly...

By the way, have you ever read Will Thomas' Barker and Llewelyn novels? They have some pretty scary Chinese underworld types in Victorian London.:wink2:

You do me too much honor, gentlemen. :eek:

By the way, have you ever read Will Thomas' Barker and Llewelyn novels? They have some pretty scary Chinese underworld types in Victorian London.:wink2:

No, I don't believe I have, though I have ready many similar novels that I will draw further inspiration from. A hopping vampire is on the list, just haven't got a clue yet what to make it from.

You do me too much honor, gentlemen. :eek:

No, I don't believe I have, though I have ready many similar novels that I will draw further inspiration from. A hopping vampire is on the list, just haven't got a clue yet what to make it from.

Cyrus Barker is the premiere inquiry agent in London. He is a 6'4 inch 250 lbs. Scotsman whose parents, missionaries, died in China when he was a child, leaving him to make his way in China during the Boxer Rebellion. By disguising himself as a Chinese person, he learns Kung Fu, finds his older brother, joins Gordon's "Ever-Victorious Army," deserts when a villainous British Officer murders his brother, ends up a smuggler/pirate captain on the South China Sea, gives such assistance to the Empress of China that she gives him a Pekinese, and falls in love with his business partner's widow. He, a religious Baptist, returns to Great Britain, settles in London (where at least two members of his crew set themselves up in various semi-legitimate businesses), looks after a female Chinese ward, settles his lady love in an estate on the coast, and assists both the Government and private citizens as a Sherlock-Holmes-like inquiry agent (kind of a consulting detective).

Thomas Llewelyn is a small wiry Welshman, whose poetry earns him a scholarship to Oxford, where he falls in love with and marries a poor local girl. When his lovely wife is dying of consumption, he attempts to steal a few coins from a wealthy student he cleans for, is caught in the act, sent to prison for 10 months, and thereafter, having been widowed and expelled from Oxford, is desperate to find work. After being rejected at dozens of interviews because of his criminal past, he decides to make one last effort to obtain work, responding to Barker's add seeking an assistant, and if that doesn't work, to commit suicide by jumping the Thames. Barker, who sees both Llewelyn's talents and desperation, hires him to replace his first assistant, who was murdered.

The duo go on a series of adventures, wherein they foil a mass murderer targeting Jewish women, save London from a beautiful red-haired Fenian bomber, avenge the murder of Barker's first assistant, solve the Jack the Ripper murders, etc. In one of these adventures, to save Llewelyn, Barker is forced to take on the Chinese underworld, fighting (and winning) a death match against a huge and highly skilled Chinese enforcer. There are a ton of well-researched real Victorian characters mixed in, and, while there are no supernatural characters, the books are a fun and fast read for someone who enjoys a more realistic and hard-boiled duo then Holmes and Watson.^&cool

Re: WK's Victorian Horror collection (update 3/11: Egyptian cultists

And the first figures of another faction: Egyptian cultists!

The cult of Nehebkau is an Egyptian sect dedicated to the return of this minor Egyptian god, whose avatar was a twoheaded snake and was said to have guarded the entrance to Duat, the Egyptian underworld. Recently, there have been sightings of the purpleclad cultists in the streets of London. Rumour goes they may have been drawn here by the recent discovery by British explorers of a tomb containing a mysterious sarcophagus. The sarcophagus and its as yet unrevealed contents have been brought to the capital of the realm for further study.

cultists%2B0.jpg

Cultists doing what cultists do.

The figures are partial repaints of Thomas Gunn arab figures. The original robes didn't quite scream cultists of a forbidden sect, so I changed them for stylish red and purple, with a yellow glyph indicative of their god, Nehebkau. The bases were further changed to match the other figures.

cultists%2B2.jpg

Cultist with gun.

cultists%2B1.jpg

Note the glyph depicting the twoheaded snake.

cultists%2B3.jpg

Cultist with sword. Clearly a fanatic.

cultists%2B4.jpg

Look at their robes, Sir! They are clearly Egyptian cultists!

And a comparison of the figures before and after:

cultists%2B5.jpg

cultists%2B6.jpg

Like the Purple robes, could see an army of these. You sure are working hard on your figures. Robin.

Thank you. I probably won't do an army of them though. The general idea is to have around 10-12 figures per faction on average, so probably 5-6 cultists for this one, an avatar of Nehabkau, one or two mummies, maybe a greedy professor in archeology,... That sort of thing.

Now for a few of the innocent bystanders.

Chinese antiques have become a bit of a fad with the ladies and gentlemen of London and dealers have started to appear on the market to peddle their wears. It's hard to judge authenticity though, so buyers beware.

chinese%2Bantiques%2B1.jpg

Look all you want, I do not deal in fakes!

The models are part of King and Country's Streets of old Hong Kong range of prepainted figures, so I only had to adapt the bases to fit my other figures. As is usual with this range, the detail of the paintjobs is very intricate. A lovely subrange.

chinese%2Bantiques%2B2.jpg

The antiques dealer on his rickety stool.

chinese%2Bantiques%2B3.jpg

A connoisseur checking out the quality of the goods.

chinese%2Bantiques%2B4.jpg

Antique Chinese pottery and scrollwork.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back