WW1 Pic Of the Day (1 Viewer)

Victoria Cross laureate of the first A.I.F.
Cpt. Percy Herbert Cherry VC, MC. 26th Battalion. (posthumous)

Enlisting in the A.I.F in March 1915, he served at Gallipoli before transferring
to the Western Front. In early March 1917, Lt. Cherry was decorated with the
Military Cross following an attack on Malt trench,in which he led a party in capturing
two German machine-guns posts. He was killed by a German shell the day following
his Victoria Cross action.

''His Majesty the King has been graciously pleased to approve of the award of the
Victoria Cross to the undermentioned Officer:-''

2nd Lt. (temp. Capt.) Percy Herbert Cherry, MC., late. A.I.F.

For most conspicuous bravery, determination and leadership on 26 March 1917,
at Lagnicourt, France, when in command of a company detailed to storm and clear
a village.

After all the officers of his company had become casualties he carried on
with care and determination, in the face of fierce opposition, and cleared
the village of the enemy.

He sent frequent reports of progress made, and when held up for some
time by an enemy strong point he organised machine-gun and bomb parties
and captured the position. His leadership, coolness and bravery set a
wonderful example to his men.

Having cleared the village, he took charge of the situation and beat off the most
resolute and heavy counter-attacks made by the enemy.

Wounded about 6.30am., he refused to leave his post, and there
remained, encouraging all to hold out at all costs, until, about 4.30pm., this
very gallant officer was killed by an enemy shell.
Wayne.

The aft 15 inch guns of HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH at Gallipoli.

large.jpg

© IWM (Q 13239)

Where have you seen one of these guns before????;

Outside the Imperial War Museum

800px-Large_Guns%2C_Imperial_War_Museum%2C_London_-_DSC05383.JPG

Author ; Green Lane

The aft 15 inch guns of HMS QUEEN ELIZABETH at Gallipoli.

large.jpg

© IWM (Q 13239)

Where have you seen one of these guns before????;

Outside the Imperial War Museum

800px-Large_Guns%2C_Imperial_War_Museum%2C_London_-_DSC05383.JPG

Author ; Green Lane
Big guns. I have always loved the elegance and strength of the battleships and battlecruisers of the WW1 era British Navy, especially Beatty's battlecruisers. Beautiful ships. -- Al

Big guns. I have always loved the elegance and strength of the battleships and battlecruisers of the WW1 era British Navy, especially Beatty's battlecruisers. Beautiful ships. -- Al

Awe inspiring aren't they Al, ships and guns. There is a pic somewhere, maybe the Holts guide to Gallipoli , of one of HMS Elizabeth's shells stuck in a wall among the defences on Gallipoli. Can you imagine Al, being in a dugout and one of those things comes through the window and sticks in the wall without exploding!{eek3}{eek3} You'd spend the rest of your life doing missionary work !^&grin

Rob

Awe inspiring aren't they Al, ships and guns. There is a pic somewhere, maybe the Holts guide to Gallipoli , of one of HMS Elizabeth's shells stuck in a wall among the defences on Gallipoli. Can you imagine Al, being in a dugout and one of those things comes through the window and sticks in the wall without exploding!{eek3}{eek3} You'd spend the rest of your life doing missionary work !^&grin

Rob
Missionary work? Maybe after the years it would take me to clean myself!{eek3} -- Al

Pte. Thomas Cooke VC. 8th Battalion. (posthumous)

Born in Kaikoura, New Zealand, he was 35 years old, and a private
in the 8th Battalion. A.I.F when the following deed took place for
which he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

On 24/25 July 1916 at Pozieres, France, after a Lewis gun had been
disabled, Private Cooke was ordered to take his gun to a dangerous part of
the line. He did fine work, but came under very heavy fire, and finally he
was the only man left. He still stuck to his post and continued to fire, but
when assistance finally arrived he was found dead beside his gun.

Pte Cooke was born in New Zealand, but an Australian resident and in the
A.I.F, and so considered an Australian or New Zealand laureate of the
Victoria Cross. His VC is displayed at the QE11 Army Memorial Museum at
Waiouru, New Zealand.
Wayne.

H.M.A.S Australia.....The Great War.
Wayne.

Australian Prime Minister Billy Hughes addresses the crew of H.M.A.S Australia on a visit to England 1916.
Wayne.

A British soldier fires a machine gun with periscope attachment in the trenches at Gallipoli.

large.jpg

© IWM (Q 13450)

Pte. William Matthew Currey. VC, 53rd Battalion.

He was 22years old, and a private in the 53rd Battalion when the following deed
took place for which he was awarded the Victoria Cross.

On 1 September 1918 in the attack on Peronne, France, Private Currey rushed forward
under heavy machine-gun fire and captured single-handed a 77mm field gun which
had been holding up the advance, killing all the crew. Later, when the advance was checked
by an enemy strong-point he crept round the flank and engaged the post with a Lewis gun,
then rushed it, causing many casualties. Subsequently he volunteered to carry orders for
withdrawal to an isolated company, doing so under heavy fire and bringing back valuable
information. The citation published in the London Gazette of 14 December 1918 concluded
that his behaviour was a ''striking example of coolness, determination and utter disregard of
danger...and his gallant work contributed to the success of the operation.''

Australian war historian C.E.W.Bean described the final act of Currey's heroism thus: ''At
3am when efforts to reach (a Lt. Waite in an advanced position) having failed, Private Currey
volunteered to make his third attempt and going out far into the disputed front he
stood up and called with all his lung power. ''Waitsy! Get in.'' The Germans turned on him
every weapon they had; he was gassed and his respirator was shot through. But Waite
had heard him and returned.''
Wayne.

Lest we forget the human cost.
The Battle of Guillemont 3 -5 September: German dead scattered in the wreck of a machine gun post near Guillemont. The photograph shows the destruction which occurred when the defence had no deep shelter.

large.jpg

Q 4256

Lest we forget the human cost.
The Battle of Guillemont 3 -5 September: German dead scattered in the wreck of a machine gun post near Guillemont. The photograph shows the destruction which occurred when the defence had no deep shelter.

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib/36/media-36924/large.jpg?action=d&cat=photographs[/I
Q 4256[/QUOTE]Quite a well known yet very gruesome photo. On an extra clear print it is possible to see that what appears to be clumps of dirt are actually the plague of the WW1 battlefield, swarms of flies. I will never understand how that generation of men, on all sides, were able to function as they did under the conditions of the Western Front. -- Al

Victoria Cross laureate of the first A.I.F
Corp. Arthur Charles Hall VC. 54th Battalion.

In April 1916, at the age of 19, Hall enlisted in the A.I.F. After training, he was posted
to the 54th Battalion, then serving on the Western Front in France. He was wounded in
late March 1917, within two months of arriving in France. Back in the front lines by April,
he saw action during the Battle of Bullecourt and later, during the second phase of the
Battle of Passchenaele, in the Battle of Polygon Wood. He was promoted to corporal after
this battle.

The battalion was involved in fighting on the Somme from early to mid-1918, including the
Second Battle of Villers-Bretonneux. It was then involved in the Hundred Days Offensive
which began in August.

On 1 September 1918 at Peronne, Somme, Hall rushed a machine-gun post, shooting
four of the enemy and capturing nine, with two guns. Continuously in advance of the main
party, he personally led assault parties, capturing many small parties of the enemy and
machine-guns. On the morning of 2 September during a heavy barrage, he carried to
safety a comrade who had been dangerously wounded and was in urgent need of
medical attention, It was for these actions that Hall was awarded the Victoria Cross.

After the Battle of St. Quentin Canal, Hall's battalion amalgamated with the 56th Battalion
in October 1918, becoming the 54th/56th Battalion. He was promoted to sergeant with this
unit before being discharged from the A.I.F in August 1919.
Wayne.

Quite a well known yet very gruesome photo. On an extra clear print it is possible to see that what appears to be clumps of dirt are actually the plague of the WW1 battlefield, swarms of flies. I will never understand how that generation of men, on all sides, were able to function as they did under the conditions of the Western Front. -- Al

Quite right Al. On hundreds of WW1 pics these look like bits of mud perhaps thrown by an explosion, but as you point out they are indeed flies. I do agree that men on all sides showed incredible fortitude and backbone to put up with what they did. Their suffering and atrocious conditions were uniquely awful, and yet it still was not the War ' To end all Wars ' .

Rob

Sopwith Camel of No. 203 Sqn after a forced landing at Noyelle-sur-l'Escaut, 8 October 1918.

large.jpg

© IWM (Q 12121)

Sopwith Camel of No. 203 Sqn after a forced landing at Noyelle-sur-l'Escaut, 8 October 1918.

large.jpg

© IWM (Q 12121)
A very sharp and detailed photo of the Camel. I find it of interest for a couple reasons beyond the clarity. On the national insignia, the outer ring of blue reproduces in a light tone, which seems to match the sky behind it. The other point of interest to me is the edge on angle presented of the upper wing, which is clearly a straight line. Many model producers have erred by putting the wing shape as bowed from center to edges, which is taken from many photos of the Camel where an optical illusion presents the wing as bowed. This is a valuable photo for it's detail. -- Al

Pte. John Patrick Hamilton VC. 3rd. Battalion.

Born in Orange, New South Wales, Hamilton described himself as a
butcher when he enlisted aged eighteen, as a private in the first A.I.F
on 15 September 1914. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion and embarked
from Sydney in October 1914. After training in Egypt his battalion sailed for
Gallipoli and took part in the landing at Anzac Cove on 25 April 1915
- his battalion coming ashore in the 2nd and 3rd waves.

He was 19 years old, when the following deed took place at Sasse's
Sap during the Battle of Lone Pine at Gallipoli for which he was awarded the
Victoria Cross.

''For conspicuous bravery on 9th August, 1915, in the Gallipoli
Peninsula. During a heavy bomb attack by the enemy on the newly
captured position at Lone Pine, Private Hamilton, with utter disregard to
personal safety, exposed himself under heavy fire on the parados, in
order to secure a better fire position against the enemy's bomb
throwers. His coolness and daring example had an immediate effect.
The defence was encouraged, and the enemy driven off with heavy loss.''

Hamilton finished the Great War as a Second Lieutenant.
Wayne.

A very sharp and detailed photo of the Camel. I find it of interest for a couple reasons beyond the clarity. On the national insignia, the outer ring of blue reproduces in a light tone, which seems to match the sky behind it. The other point of interest to me is the edge on angle presented of the upper wing, which is clearly a straight line. Many model producers have erred by putting the wing shape as bowed from center to edges, which is taken from many photos of the Camel where an optical illusion presents the wing as bowed. This is a valuable photo for it's detail. -- Al

Glad you like it Al, I thought it a good pic and somehow unusual.

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back