your favorite tank (2 Viewers)

what is your favorite tank

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
No T-34/85 listed so I went for the Panther.

I would rate the Leopard II over the Abrams by a narrow margin.

No T-34/85 listed so I went for the Panther.

I would rate the Leopard II over the Abrams by a narrow margin.

Leopard II and Abrams. Hmm that's too close to call.

While the Leopard 2A6 has the new Rheinmetall 120mm L/55 gun as opposed to the the Abrams M1A1/2 M256 (an Americanized Rheinmetall 120mm L/44 gun). The American tank makes up for the shorter barrel through the use of DU (depleted uranium) penetrators which provide equal to better performance to the tungston penetrators used by the Germans in the L/55 gun.

Both these tanks have been constantly improved and upgraded over the years and I don't think you'd want to have either of them facing you in combat.

apfsds.jpg

Tempting, but not until it's seen action on the battlefield, IMHO.

Well that's true, battle is the only real test for a tank design. But you have to admit that it has some good specs compared to the Abrams.

Hi Simon, you're not being Anti-Ron again are you, you Brits are all the same ;) :D

Come back Ron, we were only kidding :D

:D:D
If I get half a dozen Leopards rolling down the road towards my house, I'll know Ron has taken exception.

Well that's true, battle is the only real test for a tank design. But you have to admit that it has some good specs compared to the Abrams.

For me it's really a question of how well it would hold up under the strain of continous combat operations. The Leopard looks good on paper and certainly in training but until the %$## hits the fan and parts start wearing out quicker than Harry in a Nigerian Hotel:D:eek:;), well who knows. I've always been leary of german tanks as they tended to be over-engineered, kind of had the same worries when we fielded the first M1s but my personel experiences with them dispelled that notion. I suspect the Leopard is every good as adverised just hasn't had the opportunity to prove itself. It wouldn't be the first time an excellent weapon never fired a shot in anger, an event that unfortunately doesn't happen too often:(.

The Canadians have put it to use recently in the GWOT.

Canada has borrowed 20 Leopard 2A6M CAN from the German Army for use in combat operations in Afghanistan. In an assault on 2 November, 2007, a Leo 2A6M hit an IED and survived without casualties: "My crew stumbled upon an (improvised explosive device) and made history as the first (crew) to test the (Leopard 2A6)M-packet. It worked as it should." wrote a Canadian officer in an email to German defence officials.Canadian Chief of the Defence Staff General Rick Hiller denied reports that a Leopard II tank that was struck by an IED was a write-off, insisting that the tank has been repaired and is once again in use. "The Taliban have been engaged with some of the new Leopard II tanks in several ambushes" and that as a result the Taliban "learned some very harsh lessons" and lost the battle in question "very quickly and very violently."

Denmark has also deployed its Leopard 2s in support of operations in southern Afghanistan.In January, 2008 Danish tanks halted a flanking maneuver by Taliban forces near the Helmand River by providing gunfire in support of Danish and British infantry from elevated positions.On 26 February 2008 a Danish Leopard 2 was hit by an explosive device, damaging one track. Nobody was injured and the tank returned to camp on its own for repairs.

I have also seen a youtube video of a L2 going against some gunmen in a flippin Opel while in Kosovo!! Yeah, it didn't turn out too well for the gunmen.

SdKFZ 222 was a four wheel armored car used by German armored recon teams - not really a "tank". The "Puma" is also an armored car.

Gary

My AK222 is one of my favourite vehicles i own.It goes very well with Romels Grief and the Opel Blitz.I remember i was really lucky as it had been retired just as i started on my AK collection.Luckily Mike of K&C UK was able to find one for me,they were disappearing like hot cakes!

Rob

Any Tiger and from a modern stand-point, the Challenger 2, Leopard 2 and the Merkava Mark IV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back