your favorite war movie (1 Viewer)

Matt,
Thanks, I'd appreciate that; bring me a copy of Saving Ryan's Privates too, would ya..:eek:

My initial listing...

Band of Brothers
Piece of Cake
Saving Private Ryan
Memphis Belle
Battle of Britain
A Bridge Too Far
A Midnight Clear
The Great Escape
Battle of the Bulge & Midway (fond memories as a kid)!
*Order subject to change.

I forgot about Memphis Belle--I like that movie, though they embellish the final flight.
Battle of Midway was entertaining, but so horribly inaccurate I really can't watch it. They repeatedly show angle-decked blacktops of the post-war era, in addition to other things.
By far the worst mess-up of all is Nimitz' speech about Fredericksburg, Texas--"the land was so flat you could see for miles" and his talk about "a big lake with a clay bottom." WHAT??? I go to Fredericksburg regularly, and there is no clay-bottomed lake, and the town is in the Hill Country--sure as heck not flat. But oh well...

Band of brothers. No soppy romance thrown in to appease the fairer sex and reasonably accurate.

I have a list from best to worst:
Band Of Brothers
Battle Of The Bulge
A Bridge Too Far
Von Ryan's Express
Kelly's Heros

What Sir! No Oddball chill'n in the sun catching some rays drinking some wine:D.

I have a list from best to worst:
Band Of Brothers
Battle Of The Bulge
A Bridge Too Far
Von Ryan's Express
Kelly's Heros

Ah,some one else whose not a fan of Kellys Heroes,i thought it was just me!!:eek:;)

Rob

One of my favorites is Northwest Passage with Spencer Tracy.If your a Rogers Rangers fan or even just a drum and trumpet history buff its a classic.It was filmed in 1940 I think ,if you like old movies its well worth your time.
Eric

Gettysburg/Killer Angels
Gods and Generals
Rough Riders
Any and all John Wayne WWII movies
Private Ryan
Definately Kellys Heros Arf Arf!:D:D

Yo Troopers, have to join this one. The best for the horror of war and what happened to the USA Troop's at D-Day has to be Saving Private Ryan, when you see the slaughter of so many young guys in such a short time was hard to watch, and it happened it wasn't just Hollywood. Another great movie was "Das Boot" showed what it was like for the hunters to be hunted. As for Kelly's Hero's it was brilliant stuff, after all it was only a light hearted look at war, but a classic none the less. What really gets to me is seeing the real footage of WW1, as they come out of the trenches, dont even get a yard away and go down. I think to myself that was someones son or dad never made it back home, it really cracks me up.
Bernard.

"THROUGH MUD AND BLOOD TO GREEN FIELDS BEYOND"

I forgot Schindlers List. It is a war movie that deals with a man who does the right thing. It was a very moving story. Something I knew nothing about.

When you say it's a subject you know nothing about, do you mean the Holocaust? Obviously, there are many, many books on the subject. I'm sure we could make a recommendation or two if you're interested.

When you say it's a subject you know nothing about, do you mean the Holocaust? Obviously, there are many, many books on the subject. I'm sure we could make a recommendation or two if you're interested.

Nope that there were good Germans trying to save the Jews. But more importantly just Oskar Schindlers' story.

There are always good people everywhere, trying to maintain a little humanity amidst inhuman conditions.

Here's a list of popular movies over the years, to jog your memory:

The Green Berets
The Hunt for Red October
Saving Private Ryan
The Duelists
Gallipoli
Alexander
Henry the V
A Bridge Too Far
Platoon
Downfall
The Thin Red Line
Red Badge of Courage (1951)
Cross of Iron
Zulu
The Man Who Would Be King
Paths of Glory
Big Red One
El Cid
Kelly's Heroes
Battleground
Stalag 17
A Midnight Clear
Tora Tora Tora
Blackhawk Down
The Wind and the Lion
Glory
The Dambusters
633 Squadron
The Heroes of Telemark
Full Metal Jacket
The Longest Day
The Great Escape
None But the Brave
Band of Brothers
Twelve O'clock High
Shenandoah
The War Lord
Waterloo
The Grand Illusion
Gettysburg
The Beast
Ran
Kagemusha
Das Boot
Apocalypse Now
Lawrence of Arabia
Dances with Wolves
In Harm's Way
Ice Station Zebra
The Sand Pebbles
Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo
The Bridges at Toko-Ri
Men of the Fighting Lady
Fail-Safe
Patton
Son of the Morning Star
Heaven and Earth
The Wild Geese
The Patriot
Lord of the Rings trilogy
Braveheart
The Secret of Santa Vittoria
Sea of Sand
The Cruel Sea
Battle of Britain
Breaker Morant
The Life & Death of Colonel Blimp
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930)
Soldier of Orange
The Small Back Room
Barry Lyndon
April Morning
Shogun
Northwest Passage
Up Periscope
Torpedo Run
War and Peace/Voyna i Mir
Utu
The Light Horsemen
The Winter War
Sgt. York
The Blue Max
Stalingrad
Decision Before Dawn
The Bridge
Pork Chop Hill
The Vikings
Rough Riders
Guns of Navarone
**** the Defiant
The Horse Soldiers
All the King's Men
Alamo
Doctor Strangelove
The Dirty Dozen
Battle of the Bulge
300 Spartans
Alexander the Great (Richard Burton)
Final Option/Who Dares Wins
Dogs of War
Khartoum
Kingdom of Heaven
Sink the Bismarck
The Grand Fleet
Port Arthur
Battle of the Japan Sea
The Last Samurai
Seven Samurai
Zulu Dawn
Hellcats of the Navy
Enemy at the Gates
Alexander Nevsky
The Alamo (John Wayne)
The Enemy Below
They Were Expendable
To Hell and Back
Sahara (1943)
Sands of Iwo Jima
84 Charlie Mopic
Master and Commander
Bataan
Red Dawn
The Dawn Patrol
The Caine Mutiny
Red Badge of Courage (1974)
Jarhead

Hmmmm.....not quite sure what worries me more; the fact that I've seen at least half of the films on that list, or that the fact that I haven't yet managed to catch the other half:D!

As to an all-time favourite film though, it probably has to be Waterloo. Got that one on VHS one Christmas as a child and practically wore the tape out I viewed it so much. I reckon I can still mime along to a very significant portion of the film's dialogue, even today!

Cheers,

Molloy.

Many great choices but my favorites in more or less order of preference would be
Battle of Britain
Zulu
Saving Private Ryan
Piece of Cake (the BBC Miniseries)
Twelve O'Clock High
Where Eagles Dare
Kelly's Heros
Troy
Kingdom of Heaven and
The 300
BTW, I am not sure if I should worry but I have seen nearly all those on the original list. I will definitely look for those few I have missed.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back