Your thoughts on Combining Toy Soldier shows with Other Hobby Shows (1 Viewer)

OzDigger

Colonel
You think you guys have problems. I've never been to a dedicated Toy Soldier Show that was open to the General Public. As far as I know the closest in Australia would be the annual King & Country Dinners, and even they have been neglected lately due to Covid etc. I really thought Toy Soldier Shows/Fairs would have been more popular overseas, especially in the UK being the traditional home of the Toy Soldier.

I guess our Sunny Climate favours Outdoor sports and hobbies, especially in the Queensland Coastal Tourist area where I live. However I did have the pleasure of viewing a Hobby Show in my local area recently. Hobby Shows are a rare event in Australia and I wasn't going to miss this show that was held in a Bowling Club only 15 minutes from my home. Bowling Clubs are common in Australia, Lawn Bowls being a popular sport especially with retired Aussies, no surprise that all Bowling clubs have Liquor Licenses with cheaper Beer, and many have rows of Poker machines.

It soon became evident that there were No Toy Soldier displays at the Hobby Show. The majority of displays were by Model Train enthusiasts, Plastic Model Kit displays were next in popularity, then you had Diecast Cars, and randoms such as Dolls and Teddy Bears etc. Outside was a large display by a local Radio Controlled Boat Club. However as I said, there were No Toy Soldier Displays. The Show seemed quite popular, only a Gold Coin (either $1 or $2) to get in, most people had their children with them who seemed charmed by all the toys etc.

Do you think it be more beneficial to Include Toys Soldier Events with Shows featuring more 'Popular' Hobbies?

Last edited:
Toys Soldier Events would be a welcome attraction if we could tap into modelling clubs for example here in Australia. Would be another avenue to showcase toy soldiers to members who work in other mediums. I'm sure they would have their own shows from time to time.

Just my thoughts...

I've been to toy soldier shows here in the US that incorporate other hobbies; trains, general toys, military books, militaria, wargaming.............

Nice idea, nice concept, but what happens is the folks who come to the show from other hobby areas are there for that hobby, not others.................I remember at a toy soldier/militaria show I attended once, I recall militaria collectors looking at the metal toy soldiers and when I told them the prices, the reply was mostly "WOW!!.....and I thought militaria was expensive!!".....

There is a K & C dealer here in the US who used to go to militaria shows and sell **** tons of product, so who knows really.

My experience is it's hard to cross hobbies, but the way attendance is trending, maybe that might be the best option going forward.

Best of luck everyone with the show model moving forward, Bon Chance and all that.

I, for one, would like to see it. I came to this hobby from militaria collecting and would like to be able to pursue both interests at a show. These hobbies, war gaming and a few others, seem very complimentary. Moreover, the demographics of the hobbies, albeit less so war gaming, are very similar.

I think it would be good. Sharing expenses would help everyone and yes some visitors would look at what there interested in but others would look around at everything.
Mark

2OFiWdm.jpg

uWCvoGQ.jpg

r0vZvsz.jpg

Op7LogP.jpg

sMc7vyC.jpg

fzzE9cC.jpg

HumHCYe.jpg

G4nKtpm.jpg

cEmd36n.jpg

Yes we have no 'toy soldier shows' as such, we have a couple times set up at model train shows which need a railway theme, good fun. The K&C dinners I guess have to do as 'Show' so to speak but they are much more than that and are great fun. Hosted by Brett from the Military Workshop and Andy as guest. One night to remember was 2015 when Andy's late brother Gordon also joined us. Forgive all the pics but what the heck...:wink2:

1ClPZzr.jpg

rdTo50K.jpg

bw5EWhO.jpg

WOCpg17.jpg

qwdxqFG.jpg

nqQwC2y.jpg

D3Rstw4.jpg

UBLmmJt.jpg

Yes Wayne, the K & C Dinners are terrific. I'm actually after opinions regarding combination of hobbies at major shows, more so overseas than in Australia as the TS hobby is so small here.

Prior to Ebay I used to attend different hobby shows such as Gun Shows, Militaria Shows, Train Shows, Plastic Kit Displays, Book Fairs etc. I didn't make many sales but used the opportunity to see what other people were into.

Personally I have found that most people are very parochial about 'their' hobby and rarely have much interest in other hobbies even when the theme is similar such as 'Military'. It was interesting to note that George had similar experiences in the US.

I should clarify that I mostly sold Civilian and Military Diecast Vehicles and Aircraft and Military Books at those Fairs. The only Toy Soldiers I had back then were Britains Detail and Airfix which I have since sold to buy King & Country etc.

I've been to toy soldier shows here in the US that incorporate other hobbies; trains, general toys, military books, militaria, wargaming.............

Nice idea, nice concept, but what happens is the folks who come to the show from other hobby areas are there for that hobby, not others.................I remember at a toy soldier/militaria show I attended once, I recall militaria collectors looking at the metal toy soldiers and when I told them the prices, the reply was mostly "WOW!!.....and I thought militaria was expensive!!".....

There is a K & C dealer here in the US who used to go to militaria shows and sell **** tons of product, so who knows really.

My experience is it's hard to cross hobbies, but the way attendance is trending, maybe that might be the best option going forward.

Best of luck everyone with the show model moving forward, Bon Chance and all that.

George I had similar experiences in Australia back in the days when I used to drive for hours to set up tables at various venues. The most success I had was selling Military books at Gun Shows that often included Militaria and Guys dressing up in Soldier outfits. Sales success wasn't a major issue as I had full time jobs and I'm interested in guns and militaria etc so I was happy if I sold enough to cover my fuel ^&grin

My worst sales were at Plastic Kit fairs, those guys can't see the value in buying diecast vehicles when they can build something cheaper.

What do UK members think?

I started this thread after reading the recent London show thread where I noted a number of members were disappointed with the relocation of the show and declining dealer and visitor numbers. I understand the fact that TS collectors are aging, just wondered if a combination with other Hobby Show Venues would improve our hobby. Probably wishful thinking I guess.

The clientele is different. I can’t speak for other countries but when I was at a train show a couple of years ago I was surprised by the amount of people there, of all ages. After all, who doesn’t like trains. By comparison, toy soldier shows are almost a dead letter and whether you like it or not, agree or not, soldiers and armed conflicts don’t have the same benign attraction as trains.

All very true and in general young people are not really that interested in history which is probably what drives interest in toy soldiers. Also some of the heroes of our youth are todays villains e.i. Horatio Nelson. For me a bold and brilliant tactician but for some young people a servant of slavery and the empire who should have his column torn down.

George I had similar experiences in Australia back in the days when I used to drive for hours to set up tables at various venues. The most success I had was selling Military books at Gun Shows that often included Militaria and Guys dressing up in Soldier outfits. Sales success wasn't a major issue as I had full time jobs and I'm interested in guns and militaria etc so I was happy if I sold enough to cover my fuel ^&grin

My worst sales were at Plastic Kit fairs, those guys can't see the value in buying diecast vehicles when they can build something cheaper.

I recall at a "toy soldier/militaria" show I attended, some wingnut shows up in full German WWII SS gear, camo smock, pants, boots, anklets, stick grenade, ammo belt, helmet with camo cover and a rifle slung over his shoulder.......his wife was dressed as a German nurse, his two kids in full Hitler Youth get up.........all I could imagine is the looks on peoples faces when they strolled into IHOP for breakfast that morning after piling out of their 251/9 Hanomag............:wink2:

He sauntered over to my tables and proceeded to recite everything wrong with the German camo on some of my figures; "Yeah, great, thanks Hans, don't you have a hedgerow to defend?"............:rolleyes2:

Goofball.

I recall at a "toy soldier/militaria" show I attended, some wingnut shows up in full German WWII SS gear, camo smock, pants, boots, anklets, stick grenade, ammo belt, helmet with camo cover and a rifle slung over his shoulder.......his wife was dressed as a German nurse, his two kids in full Hitler Youth get up.........all I could imagine is the looks on peoples faces when they strolled into IHOP for breakfast that morning after piling out of their 251/9 Hanomag............:wink2:

He sauntered over to my tables and proceeded to recite everything wrong with the German camo on some of my figures; "Yeah, great, thanks Hans, don't you have a hedgerow to defend?"............:rolleyes2:

Goofball.

Several years back at a Gun Show in Brisbane they invited a reneactment group that were dressed in a variety of uniforms, there was one guy in full SS Camo and an older guy in a German Generals uniform complete with Red stripes down the trousers. They certainly made an impact, but maybe not as much as they would in your country. But have to say the guy in the baggy 8th army shorts did look a bit silly, not a great fashion item {sm4}

Yes we have no 'toy soldier shows' as such, we have a couple times set up at model train shows which need a railway theme, good fun. The K&C dinners I guess have to do as 'Show' so to speak but they are much more than that and are great fun. Hosted by Brett from the Military Workshop and Andy as guest. One night to remember was 2015 when Andy's late brother Gordon also joined us. Forgive all the pics but what the heck...:wink2:

1ClPZzr.jpg

rdTo50K.jpg

bw5EWhO.jpg

WOCpg17.jpg

qwdxqFG.jpg

nqQwC2y.jpg

D3Rstw4.jpg

UBLmmJt.jpg

Many, many thanks Wayne for all those great photos of a time not so long ago when we had such amazing evenings in Brisbane!

That was Gordon’s first and last ever visit to Australia and he loved every minute of it…Me too.
Those OZ trips were one of the great experiences of my toy soldier year and I was fortunate to complete 10 Annual Visits before the deadly Covid Pandemic struck…

The enthusiasm and friendliness of the Aussie Collectors was truly awesome…and then some.
It was my pleasure to get to visit Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide and meet up with hundreds of amazing people and view dozens of incredible collections, displays and dioramas.

My grateful thanks to our K&C Dealers, Brett of The Military Workshop in Brisbane, Peter & Sven of Peter Nathan Toy Soldiers in Sydney and Howard of The Toy Soldier Experience in Melbourne who helped organise so many terrific events and evenings for all of us to enjoy during those happy years.

Also my personal gratitude to every single one of the attendees who often journeyed from far and wide to attend and share the evenings with us…Thanks also to quite a few very patient and understanding wives and girlfriends who also came along to enjoy our little toy soldier ‘soirees’!

Happy, happy memories…Here’s to 2023 and the hope that we can celebrate together K&C’s 40th. Anniversary in Australia once more…
In the meantime…Merry Christmas to one and all!
Andy.

The clientele is different. I can’t speak for other countries but when I was at a train show a couple of years ago I was surprised by the amount of people there, of all ages. After all, who doesn’t like trains. By comparison, toy soldier shows are almost a dead letter and whether you like it or not, agree or not, soldiers and armed conflicts don’t have the same benign attraction as trains.

Brad,

I agree 100% with you. I was probably at the same train show (in Edison, NJ). The place was packed and had people of all ages like you said. I was there to scout out some dio accessories, mainly trees, etc. One vendor had some military miniatures for sale but it was a small amount. Oddly enough the figures were Collector's Showcase. There was a small representation of various other hobbies, like dolls, but for the most part it was all train hobby stuff.

I recall that Julie and the team here at Treefrog have ventured out to various non-toy soldier events, like air shows. I don't remember how successful they were but it was nice to know that our vendors, like TF, are aware of the lack of interest here and are exploring other options to promote our hobby.

Wayne--this is a great question and I'm happy that you started this thread. I think we've all been trying for quite a while to brainstorm ways to boost and widen our hobby interest to the younger generations but unfortunately it seems no one has a good answer yet. I hope we can put our heads together and find a solution soon. The shows here in the US seem to be on their last leg, which is a real shame.

Mark

Brad,

I agree 100% with you. I was probably at the same train show (in Edison, NJ). The place was packed and had people of all ages like you said. I was there to scout out some dio accessories, mainly trees, etc. One vendor had some military miniatures for sale but it was a small amount. Oddly enough the figures were Collector's Showcase. There was a small representation of various other hobbies, like dolls, but for the most part it was all train hobby stuff.

I recall that Julie and the team here at Treefrog have ventured out to various non-toy soldier events, like air shows. I don't remember how successful they were but it was nice to know that our vendors, like TF, are aware of the lack of interest here and are exploring other options to promote our hobby.

Wayne--this is a great question and I'm happy that you started this thread. I think we've all been trying for quite a while to brainstorm ways to boost and widen our hobby interest to the younger generations but unfortunately it seems no one has a good answer yet. I hope we can put our heads together and find a solution soon. The shows here in the US seem to be on their last leg, which is a real shame.

Mark

Mark,

It was the Edison Show and oddly enough I was there for the same thing. For those who have not been to the exhibition hall at Edison, it is cavernous and there were hundreds of exhibitors there. It was quite surprising, almost shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back