Your thoughts on Combining Toy Soldier shows with Other Hobby Shows (1 Viewer)

Mark,

It was the Edison Show and oddly enough I was there for the same thing. For those who have not been to the exhibition hall at Edison, it is cavernous and there were hundreds of exhibitors there. It was quite surprising, almost shocking.

The "Cabin Fever" New Jersey Toy Soldier Show held in March moved there for two years; we occupied a flyspeck on the ocean regarding space within that building, it was pretty good the first year there, a dumpster fire the second year there, then that was that and it moved once again.

And I stopped going.

Funny that.

The Edison train show is part of the Greenberg Toy and Train show circuit, we have one up here in the Fall, I went several years ago, had to park about a half a mile away, it was mobbed, jammed with vendors, Arley Pett was there selling toys and also some toy soldiers and...................................surprise, so was The Hobby Bunker.

That hobby dwarfs the toy soldier hobby.

That hobby dwarfs the toy soldier hobby.[/QUOTE]

Yeah but we Dwarves have more fun.^&grin
Thanks for the pro info as always.
Paddy

We recently went to a train show and the door count for 2 days was 21,000 paying attendees....TWENTY-ONE THOUSAND
It was huge with just masses of people of all ages with license plates from all over. Other Vendors thought it was slow. WOW.

Still go to various Military Re-enactments and the such.

Casting a wider net over here as it isn't always about the immediate sales, but the residual ones along with awareness of the hobby!

Julie

Dear Matt (Ozdigger)

Toy Soldiers are a "special" subject and don't readily sit well with other hobbies. My advice would be not to bother combining with other events.

Obviously before your entry into the hobby we had two (2) major displays at Queensland Museum [late 20th century] at the second one we had over 16,000 figures on display for 6 months. We also had Ausfig 99 and Ausfig 2000, weekend shows at the Murcure Hotel on North Quay, attracted people from all over Australia and New Zealand. Displays, demonstrations, figure Comp, Trade Stands etc. With a dinner on the Saturday evening.

2021 and 2022 we were at QMHE at Ipswich, great shows, 2 clubs and 2 dealers at each. There has always been some TS/MS presence at QMHE since its inception.

Next February we will be having our third BTSA Annual Display at Inala Art Gallery (approx 4 weeks) free admission.

For the last 6 odd years there have been model soldier displays at the Army Museum, South Queensland (Victoria Barracks, Brisbane) as part of the current display. After the "Nudgee Boys" departed from the college we displayed seven (7) major dioramas at the Royal United Service Institute. We are in the process of returning to Victoria Barracks with an 1800 x 900 diorama display table.

We meet every second Monday evening (now in Christmas recess!) we have an affiliated group that meets every Wednesday morning (0800 to 1200) at the Forest Lake Men's Shed. [The Men's Shed recesses pm Friday, 23 December to 0800 Monday 2 January]

About 6 years ago I was asked to investigate the feasibility of recreating the "Ausfig" events. Quickly gave that idea away when I started getting the quotes for the Public Liability Insurance!!

Currently, I am working on a programme of "Bring, Buy, Swap and Sell" events under the auspices of an "umbrella" organisation, which will cover the insurance. Watch this space.

Thank you, Wayne, for publishing my photo at that memorable K n C Dinner at Nudgee. Hey Brett!! When are you going to hold the next one??

Happy Collecting (Modelling, Painting, Casting, etc)

Oberstinhaber 1

[53 years a member of BTSA. BTSA will celebrate it's 70th anniversary next June]

Dear Oberstinhaber 1, I lived on the Gold Coast in the 90's, was a member of the Brisbane Diecast Car Club. Back then I collected military diecast including Britains Detail Toy Soldiers and vehicles. I recall meeting at least one member of your club, may even have joined for a year or so, so long ago I can't remember names etc.

I know how small the Australian TS fraternity is, especially compared to the UK and US. To further divide our ranks TS collectors are usually only interested in 'our' section of the hobby, similar to diecast vehicle collectors.

As previously posted I was mainly after suggestions about the future of the London TS and if it would be possible for them to combine that show with more popular hobbies. That said, their present situation is similar to Australia and other countries. Our collecting base is aging and collector numbers reducing every year. IMHO it doesn't hurt to discuss possible alternatives to promote the hobby.

Last edited:
I fully agree with you Julie.....if you can not win join forces and fight...

We recently went to a train show and the door count for 2 days was 21,000 paying attendees....TWENTY-ONE THOUSAND
It was huge with just masses of people of all ages with license plates from all over. Other Vendors thought it was slow. WOW.

Still go to various Military Re-enactments and the such.

Casting a wider net over here as it isn't always about the immediate sales, but the residual ones along with awareness of the hobby!

Julie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back