Yuming's Photo Album (1 Viewer)

PolarBear

Major
As many of you know I like military subjects that involve both the navy and "exotic" locales such as China. I particularly enjoy seeing early photographs documenting Western navies in such locations. Here, for example, is a 1907 photo of a German sailor in China.

Attachments

• USNgermannavychina07.jpg
    USNgermannavychina07.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 889
Therefore, I thought it might be fun to create my own photo album of such a subject, using the new USN figures from K&C and pieces from the Streets of Old Hong Kong Series. I will be posting examples from this "album" on this thread.

The album in question was created by an American sailor stationed in Hong Kong as part of the Yangtze Patrol from the late 1920s into the 1930s. The photos in the album, which is now part of the historic photography collections of George Eastman House in Rochester, NY were taken by a Chinese photographer whose studio was located near the naval garrison in Hong Kong. In the early 1920s, the garrison had housed the Royal Navy, who when they moved to larger quarters turned it over to the U.S, who had established the South China and Yangtze Patrols in 1919 in Shanghai and Hong Kong respectively.

We know very little about the Chinese photographer except that his name was Yuming, that he worked in Hong Kong, and that his U. S. Navy photographs were taken in the years between the two world wars.

Here is the only known photograph we have of Yuming (likely taken by an assistant)

Attachments

• USNyumingSm.jpg
    USNyumingSm.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 443
The previous photo is an enlarged detail showing Yuming photographing a Royal Navy "tar" having his shoes shined during the period that the garrison was in British hands.

Attachments

• USNYumingatworkSm.jpg
    USNYumingatworkSm.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 540
Here is a photo from the album by Yuming bearing the inscription in ink "Reporting for Duty" showing a sailor recently arrived in his "dress blues" at the USN garrison in Hong Kong. He is carrying his seabag, wrapped in his canvas hammock and is being welcomed by a C.P.O. (Chief Petty Officer). A seaman, wearing "summer whites" has just secured the gate to the garrsion.

Attachments

• USNreportdutySm.jpg
    USNreportdutySm.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 565
Excellent imagination and well done, but I think a little more of a sepia tone effect is called for.;)

PB,
Your getting quite good at this, the composition and styling are very well done. I think I'm jealous!
Ray

A little info on rank:

The sailor arriving at the garrison is Petty Officer 1st Class Machinist's Mate (Boilermaker, Engineman, Water Tender). This is indicted by the insignia on his sleeve:

White Eagle and 3 red chevrons=his rank
White ship's propellor='s his specialty

The red hash mark on the lower half of his sleeve indicates 4 years of service

Attachments

• USNmachinistsmate.jpg
    USNmachinistsmate.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 399
  • USNmachinistsmatedet.jpg
    USNmachinistsmatedet.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 413
Excellent imagination and well done, but I think a little more of a sepia tone effect is called for.;)

How's this? Sepia does vary depending on age and condition of the photo. The amount of red or yellow tones does differ among prints,

Attachments

• USNreportdutySm2.jpg
    USNreportdutySm2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 310
PB,
Your getting quite good at this, the composition and styling are very well done. I think I'm jealous!
Ray

Thanks Ray

These figures are great to work with and I am looking forward to what Andy has next in the series,

Randy

Wow Randy! Great photos. Are you using KC Roman Gate in these photos?
Cheers,
Benjamin

Very nice Randy.

I have that gate by KC but I believe there are corner wall pieces that can be joined to it and which unfortunately I do not have. Do you have them?

Thanks Russell & Benjamin

I am using the Imperial Chinese Gate which was a K&C re-do of the Roman gate. According to Bill Sager's K&C archive I don't believe there were side pieces with either of these.

Randy

Attachments

• IC027SM.jpg
    IC027SM.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 198
  • romangate.jpg
    romangate.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 206
"Mr. Han Visits the US Garrison"

Li Han an influential Hong Kong businessman (and alleged smuggler) meets with Captain William Harbison, the deck officer of one of the gunboats of the South China Patrol.

Attachments

• USNmrHanSm.jpg
    USNmrHanSm.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 236
Welcome Aboard !

Captain Harbison welcomes the new Machinist's Mate to the garrison, knowing he will be a useful addition to the gunboat crews patroling South China.

Attachments

• USNcaptnswelcomeSm.jpg
    USNcaptnswelcomeSm.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 180
"Waiting for the Rickshaw"

Businessman Li Han awaits his rickshaw driver outside the US Naval garrison while a member of the Shore Patrol looks on.

Attachments

• USNwaitingrickshawSm.jpg
    USNwaitingrickshawSm.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 165
Another great picture Randy. I think it maybe just me but Li Han certainly does remind me of Peter Sellers :D:D:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back