18th Hussars (3 Viewers)

I drill it out the hand and then glue a replacement in. Hence the wire or flat bar stock. Makes it rock solid and the same length.

Yo Troopers, getting nervous here lol, first its petrol and distemper brushes, now its drills and vices from KV. If anyone mentions blow torches thats it.
Bernard. :D:D

Yo Troopers, getting nervous here lol, first its petrol and distemper brushes, now its drills and vices from KV. If anyone mentions blow torches thats it.
Bernard. :D:D

How about a magnifying glass and the summer sun? I use spf 1500 when outside:D:D

I drill it out the hand and then glue a replacement in. Hence the wire or flat bar stock. Makes it rock solid and the same length.

For what its worth -- this method works -- not only can't you tell the difference, but it is "rock solid."

Dick

We are going down the green road so to speak and the broken sabre has been fixed back where it belongs. Bernard has requested that one of the original troopers be re-painted as an officer, he is on the left and his braiding and cords will be painted gold. I worked on the heads today.

Jeff

Attachments

• 18th Hussars 04.jpg
    18th Hussars 04.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 18th Hussars 05.jpg
    18th Hussars 05.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 93
  • 18th Hussars 06.jpg
    18th Hussars 06.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 87
  • 18th Hussars 07.jpg
    18th Hussars 07.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 86
As it would be nigh impossible to paint gold over the yellow braiding for the officer figure I ended up re-painting the tunics and breeches. Bernard has asked for white gloves on the figures. The original paint on the horse furniture was a little grubby (even after a wipe with a petrol soaked rag :eek::D) and a bit hit and miss in places. Add the paint chips factor and you can guess where this led to :eek:………a repaint - and then the horse looked a bit dull and chipped :eek:;)………so here are a few photos of where we are at the moment.

Jeff

Attachments

• 18th Hussars 08.jpg
    18th Hussars 08.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 84
  • 18th Hussars 09.jpg
    18th Hussars 09.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 18th Hussars 10.jpg
    18th Hussars 10.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 88
  • 18th Hussars 11.jpg
    18th Hussars 11.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 84
Here we have a comparison between original and after a lick of the distemper brush.

Jeff

Attachments

• 18th Hussars 03.jpg
    18th Hussars 03.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 18th Hussars 12.jpg
    18th Hussars 12.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 85
That's some transformation, brought the shine out in them. Nice touch of green there as well. :)

Yo Trooper, thats a good distemper brush you have is it a "Harris" lol, :D starting to look like they are getting ready for the Queens Birthday Parade. Think the Lincoln green Busby bags are nice, but think the yellow trim around them will make them look stunning. Nice work Jeff the horses have come up really good.
Bernard.

Yo Trooper, thats a good distemper brush you have is it a "Harris" lol, :D starting to look like they are getting ready for the Queens Birthday Parade. Think the Lincoln green Busby bags are nice, but think the yellow trim around them will make them look stunning. Nice work Jeff the horses have come up really good.
Bernard.

What yellow trim? It's GREEN, GREEN, I TELL YOU! :D:D:D

Jeff

Mike,

I don't think that I will be allowed :)D) to "Enhance" the paintwork as this will detract from the original style of as you say, the classic look. I will be over painting the original detail as closely as possible in the new colours.

I wonder just what these figures would look like with a full makeover?

Jeff

They would look like Wessex, who I consider to have some of the nicest figures, to have been made...Michael

No painting on these today, had another requirement from Bernard to repair and touch up some 3rd KOH.

Back to the 18th tomorrow.

Jeff

Attachments

• 3rd KOH 01.jpg
    3rd KOH 01.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 3rd KOH 02.jpg
    3rd KOH 02.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 78
  • 3rd KOH 03.jpg
    3rd KOH 03.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 74
  • 3rd KOH 04.jpg
    3rd KOH 04.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 72
Think the Lincoln green Busby bags are nice, but think the yellow trim around them will make them look stunning. Nice work Jeff the horses have come up really good.
Bernard.

Yellow trim etc...........another little jobby finished........on with the next one!

Jeff

Attachments

• 18th Hussars 13.jpg
    18th Hussars 13.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 18th Hussars 14.jpg
    18th Hussars 14.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 18th Hussars 15.jpg
    18th Hussars 15.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 18th Hussars 16.jpg
    18th Hussars 16.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 46
  • 18th Hussars 17.jpg
    18th Hussars 17.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 46
Again, well done!

Are the horses Britain's originals, too? Or am I forgetting something from earlier in the thread.....

Anyway, this shows the charm of the toy soldier style, I think. I can see a regiment of these fellows deployed across a living room carpet, charging home!

Prost!
Brad

Yo Troopers, is this guy a class act or what. Jeff they are SUPERB cheers mate. From a tatty set of 13th Hussars into a smart looking 18th Hussars. Think I will make the Surgeon general an honorary Hussar lol, he was just meant to be one. What do you think of them guys, and he used a distemper brush as well :rolleyes:
Bernard. :D:D:D:D

Again, well done!

Are the horses Britain's originals, too? Or am I forgetting something from earlier in the thread.....

Anyway, this shows the charm of the toy soldier style, I think. I can see a regiment of these fellows deployed across a living room carpet, charging home!

Prost!
Brad

Thanks Brad,

These are from 1990 according to the embosed lettering on the underside of the horse. The horse is made in two halves and has the lower torso included. The top half is seperate, I assume to allow a variation of figures?? Not an expert on these at all - I just slap the paint on :D

Jeff

Ah, thanks, Jeff, it was the seam between the two halves of each horse that had caught my eye, and I was confusing myself between old Britains and newer ones. I didn't know that they made them that way.

I like how you toned down the cheek roses, too, on the originals, they were a little too much.

Again, a most excellent job, prosit!
Brad

Yo Troopers, is this guy a class act or what. Jeff they are SUPERB cheers mate. From a tatty set of 13th Hussars into a smart looking 18th Hussars. Think I will make the Surgeon general an honorary Hussar lol, he was just meant to be one. What do you think of them guys, and he used a distemper brush as well :rolleyes:
Bernard. :D:D:D:D

Another superbly painted set by Jeff. They will great in your display cabinet Bernard, which must be getting full by now !!! :D

Another superbly painted set by Jeff. They will great in your display cabinet Bernard, which must be getting full by now !!! :D

Yo Scott, Nah still plenty of room for more Cavarly, and waiting for Louis to donate a Britains Centurion Tank lol.
Bernard. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back