2018 Baseball season (7 Viewers)

Mets have done a tremendous job this off season and have turned the NL East into a legitimate 4 team dogfight. Moves still a long way from being done but not too early to say 4 teams now seem to have a legit shot at the division title. -- Al

The NL East is starting to remind me of the AL East from a few years back. Baltimore, Boston, New York and Toronto all had legit pitching, young superstars and decent role players just like Atlanta, New York, Philadelphia and Washington have now.

I see Matt Harvey has signed a 1-year, $11 mil deal with the Angels. I was hoping the Nats would take a run at him as we need a #4 and #5. Oh well. -- Al

I see Matt Harvey has signed a 1-year, $11 mil deal with the Angels. I was hoping the Nats would take a run at him as we need a #4 and #5. Oh well. -- Al

I also wanted the Giants to sign him. 1 year at $11 mil seems like it is worth the risk.

Nats have Anibal Sanchez as a #4-5 SP for 2 years at $19 mil. Could have kept Roark for less or the same money but they didn't for whatever reason. This gives the Nats the 4 SP they felt they had to have with another SP signing to go, maybe. They could try to round out the #5 spot with Fedde or Ross, but I don't think they want to. -- Al

Looks like Daniel Murphy is going to the Rockies for 2 years and $24 mil.
He will kill the ball out there. That man can hit. As a Nats fan, I was really sorry to see him go and was hoping that the Nats might make a run at getting him back but the Nats have seemingly set the 2nd base priority pretty far down, being happy with either Difo or Kendrick there. -- Al

What are the Dodgers doing? A salary/age dump? Can't figure today's trade with the Reds. Reds got Puig, Kemp, and Wood for Homer Bailey and a couple of minor-leaguers. Bailey was 1-14 last season with a 6.09 ERA in 2018 and is only 9-27 with a 6+ ERA over the last 4 seasons, and he is 32. He hasn't been the same since his arm surgeries. LA gave up a decent LHP in Wood, along with Kemp and Puig. Looks like LA got robbed, big time. Someone has to 'splain this one to me. -- Al

They’re clearing space, both in terms of players and money, for Harper. They are considered the favorite for him.

What are the Dodgers doing? A salary/age dump? Can't figure today's trade with the Reds. Reds got Puig, Kemp, and Wood for Homer Bailey and a couple of minor-leaguers. Bailey was 1-14 last season with a 6.09 ERA in 2018 and is only 9-27 with a 6+ ERA over the last 4 seasons, and he is 32. He hasn't been the same since his arm surgeries. LA gave up a decent LHP in Wood, along with Kemp and Puig. Looks like LA got robbed, big time. Someone has to 'splain this one to me. -- Al

It's called a salary dump.

Bailey is getting released.

They are angling to get Kluber from the Indians and will be all in on Harper now.

Harper in LA will be something to see; as much of a Giants fan as I am, I have to give the Dodgers credit, they don't mess around and go all in to be a WS contender year in and year out.

Such was my suspicion regarding Harper, but the trade just seems so one-sided. I am going to hate seeing Harper in any shade of blue. -- Al

It's called a salary dump.

Bailey is getting released.

They are angling to get Kluber from the Indians and will be all in on Harper now.

Harper in LA will be something to see; as much of a Giants fan as I am, I have to give the Dodgers credit, they don't mess around and go all in to be a WS contender year in and year out.

I am with George on this one. As a Giants fan and SF native I can't stand the Dodgers but I do respect the fact that they are not afraid to rebuild year in and year out. Beyond their possible future moves on Harper, Kluber etc., it is easy to forget that they also signed Kershaw to a 3 year extension earlier in the off-season.

At the Winter Meetings Dave Dombrowski of the Red Sox suggested a deadline should be considered for free agency signings.

I actually think it is a good idea.

Re: It's the 2019 Baseball season, now

Apparently Bryce Harper is going to sound out the Phillies:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...arper-even-they-await-manny-machados-decision

Personally, I don't want the Phils to sign either of them, but if they absolutely must sign a high-priced free agent with attitude problems, I'd rather they sign Machado.

Prost!
Brad
I have been prepared for Harper to leave the Nats, but I'd really hate to see him go to the Phillies, a division rival of the Nats. I'd rather he go to the NYY's, or even the Dodgers, as much as I'd hate to see him in those shades of blue. To see him go to the Phillies would be a worse-case scenario. Anywhere else, outside of the NL East, is preferable. Of course, he could opt for DC.:rolleyes2: -- Al

The Yankees signed the corpse of Tulowitzki and naturally MFY fans on message boards everywhere are applauding the move.

He was toast the last time he stepped onto a field; no doubt he go to the Bronx, get on their "training regimen" and hit .350/47/127.

No doubt.

Good Lord and you people wonder why I hate that franchise with the fire of 10,000 suns.

But on the bright side, they are all also babbling about how now they'll sign Machado and move him to third, which is his natural position.

Please, pretty pretty please sign that turd.

Then go ahead and sign Harper too while you're at it.

Baseball is about pitching, defense and TIMELY hitting, not having a bunch of gashouse gorillas who hit 50 home runs each.

Speaking of which, to think I was upset the MFY's got Stanton for two bags of balls, a case of bats and a bucket of sunflower seeds and the Red Sox had to instead "settle" for JDM.

Funny how that worked out for both teams.

I have been prepared for Harper to leave the Nats, but I'd really hate to see him go to the Phillies, a division rival of the Nats. I'd rather he go to the NYY's, or even the Dodgers, as much as I'd hate to see him in those shades of blue. To see him go to the Phillies would be a worse-case scenario. Anywhere else, outside of the NL East, is preferable. Of course, he could opt for DC.:rolleyes2: -- Al

Al:

Radio hosts in the Bay Area continue to believe that the Giants are going to sign Harper. I personally can't see it but just in case they sign him I will continue to think Harper is great. Once he signs with someone else I will think he is terrible.

:)

-Jason

Al:

Radio hosts in the Bay Area continue to believe that the Giants are going to sign Harper. I personally can't see it but just in case they sign him I will continue to think Harper is great. Once he signs with someone else I will think he is terrible.

:)

-Jason
Jason, I really like Harper and will continue to do so, especially if he returns to the Nats.:wink2: If he should sign elsewhere, I will continue to follow and like him, UNLESS he goes to an NL East team, then I will be forced to turn on him in a NY minute ( and this would continue should the Nats have to face him in any given playoff situation). So it goes. -- Al

Jason, I really like Harper and will continue to do so, especially if he returns to the Nats.:wink2: If he should sign elsewhere, I will continue to follow and like him, UNLESS he goes to an NL East team, then I will be forced to turn on him in a NY minute ( and this would continue should the Nats have to face him in any given playoff situation). So it goes. -- Al

Al:

I do not think the Giants have a realistic shot at him. I truly think he will go to the Dodgers and then they will win the World Series in a couple of years. They have knocked on the door too many times to not eventually get it. I don't like the scenario but I respect it. That's baseball.

-Jason

Users who are viewing this thread

Back