2018 Baseball season (4 Viewers)

I hate the deal. They gave up two prospects and Bruce — not that I was in love with him — for a soon to be over the hill steroids user and a closer with umpteen amount of saves who will probably be crap next year. Cano might be good for one or two years and then they’re stuck. Great.
Cano has a bad contract, true enough, but Diaz should be a great get, although one does wonder why Seattle let such a young player with years of team control go. -- Al

Cano has a bad contract, true enough, but Diaz should be a great get, although one does wonder why Seattle let such a young player with years of team control go. -- Al

I think they had to throw Diaz in so that the Mets would take Cano.

I think they had to throw Diaz in so that the Mets would take Cano.

It’s actually the other way around. The Mets wanted Diaz and the Mariners told them Cano had to be part of it. They already have a second baseman — Jeff McNeill — so they sure as heck didn’t need Cano.

It’s actually the other way around. The Mets wanted Diaz and the Mariners told them Cano had to be part of it. They already have a second baseman — Jeff McNeill — so they sure as heck didn’t need Cano.

Brad:

Thanks for the info.

That seems like a high price to pay for Diaz.

-Jason

Jason, I don't think the trade would have taken the form it did if it was just Diaz. The Mets gave up one of their top prospects -- Jerred Kelenic. We'll know in a few years if it comes back to haunt them. They have a terrible farm system -- 27 out of 30 -- and this trade doesn't help. The new GM has a win now mentality. He made a bold move but boldness can also mean foolhardiness. If it turns into a championship -- doubtful -- it will have been worth it. Otherwise, not.

Nats made a big move today signing Corbin. Maybe that’s a sign to Harper to entice him to return to the fold.

Nats made a big move today signing Corbin. Maybe that’s a sign to Harper to entice him to return to the fold.
We'll see how this works out. Corbin is a LHP, needed to replace Gonzalez, and he got 6 years for $140 mil. Sure can't say that the Nats are pinching pennies. Mad Max is getting $220 mil, Strasburg $175 mil. There's money in them thar throwin' arms. Corbin is 29, with a career 56-54 W/L record and a 3.91 ERA. That's a lot of money for a .500 pitcher. -- Al

Brad makes an interesting point about going all in and gutting/ignoring your farm system to do it. The Giants did that and it got them 3 World Series, but interestingly enough a large portion of the SF fan base now continually bemoans the lack of young talent on the roster.

Fans are so fickle and championships are soon forgotten.

Brad makes an interesting point about going all in and gutting/ignoring your farm system to do it. The Giants did that and it got them 3 World Series, but interestingly enough a large portion of the SF fan base now continually bemoans the lack of young talent on the roster.

Ain't that the truth. As an Oriole fan, we have won 3 WS as well, the big difference being that the last one was in 1983 (1966 and 1970 were the others). So, 3 titles in 52 seasons. I'd take a depleted farm system for a title or two. Heck, what am I talking about? We already have the depleted farm system, just no titles. No better luck with the Nats, yet.:rolleyes2: Would love to have the Giants record, or Boston's or ... -- Al

Wait; the MFY's didn't get him? Gee, that's funny, their fans had him signed, sealed and delivered to the Bronx.

Good, more money for them to throw at Machado.

Please God, make this happen, I don't ask for much other than a WS win in 2004, 2007, 2013 and 2018.

Trouble is the Mets don’t currently have a good one and shouldn’t be gutting what they have. Teams normally trade off their chips to obtain the missing pieces as the Cubs did in 2016 and the Yankees are doing now but that presupposes you both have prospects to trade and prospects that can help you in the stretch run.

I think the Cardinals trade for Goldschmidt was a great move. I have watched him play dozens of times against the Giants and he is really, really, really good.

I think the Cardinals trade for Goldschmidt was a great move. I have watched him play dozens of times against the Giants and he is really, really, really good.

On the surface the prospects the Cardinals traded appear underwhelming.

It looks like Arizona is trying a rebuild/salary dump. They are now actively trying to trade Greinke.

Once he is gone their highest paid player will be Alex Avilla at $4.25 million per year.

The Red Sox and right-hander Nathan Eovaldi agree on a four-year/68 million dollar deal to keep the free agent postseason hero in Boston as reported today.

So he stays here and out of New York/Houston, two rumored landing spots.

Talk about a win/win/win.

This means Sale is done here after next year, which is fine with his bum shoulder, I hope he signs with the Yankees and then his arm falls off.

They need to bring back Kelly too, then go get a closer...………………..or, make him the closer.

I'm waiting for the Yankee overreach now...……………………………….please God, make it be Machado.

The Red Sox and right-hander Nathan Eovaldi agree on a four-year/68 million dollar deal to keep the free agent postseason hero in Boston as reported today.

So he stays here and out of New York/Houston, two rumored landing spots.

Talk about a win/win/win.

This means Sale is done here after next year, which is fine with his bum shoulder, I hope he signs with the Yankees and then his arm falls off.

They need to bring back Kelly too, then go get a closer...………………..or, make him the closer.

I'm waiting for the Yankee overreach now...……………………………….please God, make it be Machado.

Saw a story today quoting Cashman "There's not much you can do to improve on a 100 win team"...………..what?

A 100 win team that finished second to the WS champion Boston Red Sox, their arch rival, a team that lost to the WS Champion Astros last year, both of whom are ahead of them talentwise.

A Yankees fan who frequents the RS message board I belong to backed Cashman's comments with "In Cashman we trust"...………...so you trust a guy who's brought you a whopping one WS title in the last 17 years while your arch rival has won four?

Wow, ok then.

Based on what I'm hearing and reading, the Indians look to be in rebuilding mode, as are the Mariners. Kluber is on the trading block and Miller is not going back.

He might land in New York, also reading Robertson or Britton might end up in Boston if they don't sign Kelly.

Barring the A's and their little train that could act every year, the AL is basically a three horse race in 2019; the Red Sox, Yankees and Astros. The Rays could be in the mix too, but they are trapped in the small market mentality like the A's are, so we'll have to see how things shake out.

Sounds like the Nats have closed the book on Harper. Owner Mark Lerner said in an interview that he didn't expect Harper to be back. He said the offer they made to Harper at the end of the season (10 years, $300 mil) was their maximum and both Harper and Boras were made aware of that. Lerner also said that he wasn't sure that they could now match that offer even if Harper decided he now wanted to accept it. Sounds like Harper has been written off and the Nats are moving on. Just leaves more money for SP. -- Al

Sounds like the Nats have closed the book on Harper. Owner Mark Lerner said in an interview that he didn't expect Harper to be back. He said the offer they made to Harper at the end of the season (10 years, $300 mil) was their maximum and both Harper and Boras were made aware of that. Lerner also said that he wasn't sure that they could now match that offer even if Harper decided he now wanted to accept it. Sounds like Harper has been written off and the Nats are moving on. Just leaves more money for SP. -- Al

Ten years, 300 Million...………………and he said no.

Or more importantly, Boras said no.

Good Lord.

Nats fans can't be upset at ownership on that one, I would love to see what team will top that offer.

There is a limit to everything in life.

Ten years, 300 Million...………………and he said no.

Or more importantly, Boras said no.

Good Lord.

Nats fans can't be upset at ownership on that one, I would love to see what team will top that offer.

There is a limit to everything in life.
If ever a sport needed and screamed for a salary cap, MLB is it. -- Al

Users who are viewing this thread

Back